Windows 7 black/blank login screen

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I was having this issue and it was driving me crazy. After swapping my motherboard for a new one and reinstalling Windows 7 off a fresh format, the Windows login page would appear as a blank black screen with the mouse cursor on it and nothing more. I was able to login if I just typed my password but still wouldn't get a desktop. I had no idea what it was, and Google'd all over the place and saw tons of people will the same problem and no resolutions, well here's the resolution and it's kind of retarded but....

Unplug the 2nd device from your video card. In my case I had my TV and Monitor plugged in so it was automatically going into a dual screen setup in which the TV was the main screen. :nuts:

Just posting this so it gets picked up by Google in case anyone else has the problem.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
if you do control + alt + delete and run task manager, can you find explorer.exe running? generally that is in charge of the background/desktop/start menu/buttons and etc. - if it is, and you close it, and then issue a run command of "explorer.exe", does it fix it?

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
if you do control + alt + delete and run task manager, can you find explorer.exe running? generally that is in charge of the background/desktop/start menu/buttons and etc. - if it is, and you close it, and then issue a run command of "explorer.exe", does it fix it?

He already stated that the problem is already solved. He had two devices plugged into the computer, and at login screen, only the 'primary' screen shows anything.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
He already stated that the problem is already solved. He had two devices plugged into the computer, and at login screen, only the 'primary' screen shows anything.

I misunderstood then - I thought it was that it didn't work at all when both were plugged in

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.