Sci/Tech Windows 8 boots too quickly, first world OS problem

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is an interesting problem, if you want to call it that, which Microsoft had to address when building Windows 8. We all want faster boot times and Windows 8 delivers on the front. The problem is that the boot times are so quick that when you need to enter the setup menu, by pressing F2/F8 during boot, there is literally no time to do it.

So, what did Microsoft do? Surely they are not going to artificially slow down the boot time to compensate for this, so they added a few new features to the OS to make it easier to access these menus.

In a machine with an SSD installed, you can boot up a machine in 7 seconds and the time to boot will likely get shorter as hardware improves over Windows 8 lifecycle. In a test machine at Microsoft with an SSD and UEFI system, the time window to hit F8 is 200 miliseconds, good luck hitting that with any bit of reliability.

In the scenario where you can not boot to Windows, Windows 8 will automatically enter automatic failover behavior which is determined by an algorithm that establishes a baseline over several boots. This should help appease those who have ever had what appears to be a successful boot but only to have the system hang due to a bad driver.

Last edited by a moderator:

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
It's a safety measure, I think. If there's a key being pressed down since the beginning of the boot up sequence, the computer will wrongfully detect it as a defect, and simply beep sounds to warn the user that there's a problem with the keyboard.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I already have this problem with my windows 7, its not 200 milliseconds though, but its short enough that i had to restart the computer again only to hit it in time.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
I agree with Slapshot. That would be the simplest. Considering it boots so fast.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
or they could copy something from Android and just have a "reboot into bios" option
I wonder if such a feature could be abused by some form of a virus. Automatically boot up a W8 computer into the BIOS and fuck up the settings.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I wonder if such a feature could be abused by some form of a virus. Automatically boot up a W8 computer into the BIOS and fuck up the settings.

going into the bios is 1 thing, but actually changing the settings would be very hard due to the way a bios works (nothing else runs besides the bios, and only the bios can change/access its settings)

lots of "bad" viruses do manage to put themselves between the bios and windows though, which makes them very hard to detect since they have a head-start each boot

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
And don't forget that newer motherboards may have dual-BIOS. It will be a lot harder to change settings if one of the BIOS has been changed, gotten detected, and gotten restored to default.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score

See this post on SuperUser. He explains a bit about the BIOS, and also a quote from Linus Torvalds:
[...] The absolutely biggest advantage of a BIOS is that it's so inconvenient and obviously oldfashioned, that you have to be crazy to want to do anything serious in it [...] don't get any ideas about it being some grandiose framework for anything else than "just load the OS and get the hell out of there".

Makes sense -- it's easier to build viruses for the OS, though you have much more power if you have control of the BIOS. Wikipedia does have a section just on virus attacks on the BIOS page.

iPeez

Hot food far all world wide!
Reaction score
Not-entiery-off-topic:
My computer is too fast with old games so I can't read the tooltips on the loadingscreens!

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Regardless of how fast it boots, if they are going to insist on that backward excuse for a Start button that I saw in the developer preview, I won't be using Windows 8. Ever. If for whatever reason I can't use 7, I'll move to Ubuntu. :)

WildTurkey

Previously known as giv_me_rep
Reaction score
I've been running windows 8 for ages now via consumer preview and it's a blast. Got it hooked to me 52" TV permanently and been gaming, watching movies etc and so happy with the performance. Also that start button is good IMO, i've got all my icons set up and i love the convenience to share files between social networking etc. Really it feels like windows 7 but with a few cool programs that make everything real simple.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.