Windows 8: First Look

Vellu

Real eyes realize real lies.
Reaction score
I don't like that interface. It's useless if you ask me, I'd stick to the desktop theme.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It doesn't look like it's meant for PC's at all. Just for tablets, really.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
It doesn't look like it's meant for PC's at all. Just for tablets, really.

Yeah, certainly. I think the whole touch thing is more for tablets than for PCs. I think it definitely has its uses; it's a nice idling screen (not joking, lol) and it's probably a good app launcher if done correctly. It doesn't really seem Windows-PCish though - it feels like you're switching between two different OS's when they switch between the fancy thing and the Windows 7-looking OS.

If done correctly it can be really cool. If done incorrectly it'll be terrible. However, I trust in Microsoft, they've been really good with all their software lately :D

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
Swiping your thumb here and there is useful if you're on an iPad or something else with touch screen but doing it with your mouse will just feel awkward. That entire thingie will probably be very nice and smooth for touch screens but very bad for mouse users.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Well, looks like a massive Ram waste. Don't ya think So?

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> Well, looks like a massive Ram waste. Don't ya think So?
This too. The fancy swipe in and drag around effects won't look quite as good at 2 FPS.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
You have got to be kidding me? Not another version of Windows.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Windows 7 for me over the next generation then. Just as I stayed with XP over Vista.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Still using Linux (^o^)/

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
I wondered how I play games on Windows 8... I hoped I can switch from tablet mode into gaming mode or something.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
I would like to mention that this 'first look' does not include any of the actual features of Windows 8, it seems to be mostly just to hype up a few people who have tablets or phones, to the interface they may soon have access to.

According to wikipedia:

Microsoft will cover more of the new features, and improvements in Windows 8 at the new BUILD developer conference, September 13-16, 2011.

Thus, the actual interesting stuff will come out sometime between September 13-16. :p

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Guys, this is like the Media Center app that they released with the "Media Center XP" version. It's not the actual desktop, I'm sure that will look pretty much the same as it does currently.
This is simply a way to make it cooler if you wish to. There is absolutely no way they could make that layout more productive than the current ways for businesses and such, so they won't move over completely. :thup:

I wondered how I play games on Windows 8... I hoped I can switch from tablet mode into gaming mode or something.

...you can, I would put money on it. They won't make it touch only, they would lose way too much market.

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
I really hope this touch-style interface only loads when a Touch device is detected, and even then, I'd like the ability to disable the whole thing. I wouldn't want that running in the background, draining my RAM.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Watch from 3:01 DDR and tom mai. They are trying to make this the default UI. The "old" Windows 7 UI would be mainly used for browsing the filesystem and launching old apps such as Microsoft Office.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Watch from 3:01 DDR and tom mai. They are trying to make this the default UI. The "old" Windows 7 UI would be mainly used for browsing the filesystem and launching old apps such as Microsoft Office.

OMG! I missed that the first time around. I can now spam my "thup" icons for this. :thup: :thup: ...

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I foresee myself going straight to the control panel, and disabling everything 'new' Windows 8 offers. Just like what I did in Vista from XP.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.