Windows refuses to boot.

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
Whenever I turn on my desktop, I get a "Windows did not load successfully", and then I get the options to boot into various "Safe Modes", as well as start Windows normally.
I'd normally boot into Windows normally, and see if the errors continue, but when it does, it just reboots the computer without any sort of error message.

Now at this point, I'd boot into Safe Mode, preform a system restore, and be on my way with the computer working again (usually, at least.), but it seems my keyboard has stopped working as well.
When I plug it in, the light start flashing like crazy (Caps lock, num lock, etc), and nothing happens when I hit any keys (at any step. I've tried entering the BIOS. Doesn't work). I've confirmed the keyboard works on another computer.

The only thing that's changed with the computer is that I took out the original drive, and popped in a new one from another computer (running a working Windows copy).
Has anyone here had this problem, or knows anything about a solution? I'd greatly appreciate any help.

(I'd use the other computer, but smoke started coming out of the PSU, so I figured that using it might not be so good for my lungs.)

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Is your Windows operating system OEM or Retail?
Are you able to buy a new PSU and replace the other computer's PSU? Smoke coming out of it means something terribly terribly wrong had happened to it.

Lyerae

Reaction score
The install was originally OEM, but I've reinstalled since then. Same with the computer I'm trying to put the drive in (I added a graphics card and graphics card to the working one).

And it wouldn't be worth it to buy a new PSU; The system is eight / nine years old.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you try replacing the hard drive with the original one and see if it can boot? Would like some info on both of the hard drives, the newer one and the original one.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
so they keyboard does not work in the bios? that doesn't sound like a windows problem to me.. have you tried a different keyboard on that computer? preferably both a ps/2 and a usb one

Lyerae

Reaction score
so they keyboard does not work in the bios? that doesn't sound like a windows problem to me.. have you tried a different keyboard on that computer? preferably both a ps/2 and a usb one

Yes, I have, and it works.

Did you try replacing the hard drive with the original one and see if it can boot? Would like some info on both of the hard drives, the newer one and the original one.

The original one boots fine, but it's currently being used.
As for information, all I know is that one (the working one) is 40GB and is original to the computer, and one is 20GB, and original to the now smoking computer.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
wait, so do you have access to windows via safe mode? if so, then have you tried doing a "system repair" and checking for updates?

Lyerae

Reaction score
I don't know if I have access to safe mode, as my keyboard refuses to respond. I tested the keyboard on another computer, and it works, and I've also tried a different keyboard, and that doesn't work either.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Try answering these, Lyerae.

so they keyboard does not work in the bios?

Did the keyboard work in the BIOS?

If yes, it stopped working in the OS, right?

If yes, what is your operating system?

This is Generic, meaning it applies to XP, Vista and 7:

Go to Control Panel, find Keyboard or anything that goes with keyboard, and enable the option that was disabling the keyboard.

Lyzet

Reaction score
My friend had the same problem, except for the keyboard flashing.

evrything else - he had too.

When i told him to buy new RAM it worked.

Found out later that the RAM blocks he had werent compatible with eachother.

So you could check that. :)

Lyerae

Reaction score
My friend had the same problem, except for the keyboard flashing.

evrything else - he had too.

When i told him to buy new RAM it worked.

Found out later that the RAM blocks he had werent compatible with eachother.

So you could check that. :)

It's all default to the system. I didn't build the system; Compaq did.

Try answering these, Lyerae.

Did the keyboard work in the BIOS?

If yes, it stopped working in the OS, right?

If yes, what is your operating system?

This is Generic, meaning it applies to XP, Vista and 7:

Go to Control Panel, find Keyboard or anything that goes with keyboard, and enable the option that was disabling the keyboard.

No, it doesn't work at any step during boot-up.
No.
No, but it's Windows XP SP3.
No, the keyboard works on my parents computer (my parent's keyboard doesn't work on this computer, strangely).
Can't.

Lyerae

Reaction score
I plugged it in before I booted, and I've tried PS/2 and USB keyboards.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
No, it doesn't work at any step during boot-up.

So, half of me is saying that there's something wrong with the motherboard not able to detect the keyboard. It's probably a BIOS corruption or wire damage.

Go ahead and see if you can go to a local PC repair shop and ask for more info about it. My suggestion for you would be to buy a new motherboard, and probably a new system for it.

And the other half of me is telling you that, since your keyboard can't be detected during BIOS, try updating your BIOS with your mouse (going online, go to your motherboard manufacturer's website, download drivers, etc., by using your mouse), and see if you can fix it. BIOS update is crucial when things like these happen.

Lyerae

Reaction score
The problem really isn't the keyboard. It's the fact that Windows is refusing to boot, period. Keyboard doesn't help much if I can't boot into the system. :/

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
I must be getting old...:p

Your currently using another Windows copy, which can detect your keyboard, on your Non-Smoking computer. The other non-working Windows copy is in the other hard drive, outside of your Non-Smoking computer, it can't detect your keyboard, and it can't boot into it correctly.

From there, it's not the Non-Smoking computer's BIOS, which is a good thing. It's your hard drive, which is having either multiple bad sector, or you're just a lucky guy.

From page 1, I have not read your post saying that you have formatted your hard drive. You did a reinstall, and you mentioned your system is 8, 9 years old, so did you actually use ScanDisk to check your hard drive?

Seen here, you'll have to scroll the page down. It says using ScanDisk to check for bad sectors. You could be having physical bad sectors. Whether you reinstall or reformat, it's still going to be in there.

So, my conclusion is that you'll want to buy a new hard drive and install your Windows in there.

If the problem still persist, I couldn't help you even more. :p

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Unplug everything from the back if your computer. Flick the power switch off. Open the case, locate a battery that looks like this, and remove it. This is usually done by pulling a little lever back and it'll snap up. Once that's removed leave it out for 15 minutes or longer... the longer the more sure you can be that your BIOS will be cleared.

After the allotted time, put the battery back in, plug in the power cable and all other stuff, flick the power switch on and turn your computer on.

Does it work now?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.