Windows XP, Emergency Shutdown

demotry241

Don't Ever Categorize Yourself.
Reaction score
my problem is when I use MS-Dos for pinging servers

my system responds the emergency shutdown.. =.=

although my second computer doesn't do that.

any reason why my first always do this?

Husky

Local Lurker
Reaction score
Umm, I have no idea why pinging a server would shut it down.

I do know that they emergency shut down from overheating, say if you block a fan or something.

Google came up with nothing, so sounds like somethings wrong with the computer. You could try pinging from your router (if you have one) instead of using the dos.

demotry241

Reaction score
I do think something is wrong in my computer...

using the MS-DOS itself makes the computer initiate XP Emergency Shutdown

Husky

Local Lurker
Reaction score
I do think something is wrong in my computer...

using the MS-DOS itself makes the computer initiate XP Emergency Shutdown

Yeah try pinging via your router.

192.168.1.1 in your address bar, or you can try 10.1.1.1 or goto Google, type "my IP address" and copy and paste your IP into the address bar of your browser.

demotry241

Reaction score
... how come this topic became.. how to ping a website using a router... =.=

I only use the pinging command in MS-DOS as an example.. that makes my computer do emergency shutdown.. this has nothing to do with pinging websites...

My real concern was.. why is it that when I use .bat, MS-DOS related stuff. my System do the emergency shutdown.. while my second computer doesn't.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Try using a different ping method, in other words, another program or something to see if you still have problems. What Operating System are you using? I know you said MS Dos but are you at the command prompt or you actually are using Dos?

Husky

Local Lurker
Reaction score
... how come this topic became.. how to ping a website using a router... =.=

I only use the pinging command in MS-DOS as an example.. that makes my computer do emergency shutdown.. this has nothing to do with pinging websites...

My real concern was.. why is it that when I use .bat, MS-DOS related stuff. my System do the emergency shutdown.. while my second computer doesn't.

The way you worded the original question was that you implied you wanted to ping a server and that doing so crashed your computer. No where did you mention that whenever you use command prompt that it crashes your computer.

Anyway, now that you clarified your question;

• Make sure you have the latest version of Java. To make sure you do in fact have at least one version of Java, try running TheHelper Chat, if it doesn't work for you, you don't have Java.
  • Try downloading the latest .net framework up to the latest, make sure they are install in the correct order (1.0 > 2.0 > 3.0 > 3.5 or else you may get some problems).
  • Make sure you do not have colliding Anti Virus programs (i.e; only have one AV program, not multiple).
  • Once you have tried all of the above try "Run > type "cmd" > then type "ping" (you may have been doing it a different way, I sometimes had problems with the command prompt if I did not type "cmd" in run first. You can also try "C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe"

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.