Winky the Wombat - Official Progress Thread

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
The game that has been highly anticipated for so long is now official being worked on, and this is the home of its official progress!

Rough Storyline said:
"Humans are not actually mammals. They are a disease." ~Agent Smith

Humans have continued to devour and waste Earth away, but one day, a catastrophic mistake on the human's part caused radioactive liquids to form in the world's remaining natural habitats. These liquids mutated the animals.

New super breeds of just about every animal are now conspiring to destroy the humans, who are oblivious to everything.

But one Wombat will put a stop to this chaos. Winky the Wombat shall fight for his freedom as he attempts to defeat the many creatures and abominations that now walk the planet, in hope of putting everything back to normal.

I have several previews, but right now, I'm only able to show this one screenshot of the beginning of the very first level.

This should give people a very good idea of the general art and design style to the levels, the characters and animation will follow a different style.

Behold:

level1screeny1cp5.jpg

level1screeny2kn9.jpg

There are no outlines, there's a very simple big-brush style to the ground and walls, and there is more detail on props and eye-candy. The wires are in some levels as part of a human monitoring plan to keep an eye on wildlife (this scheme was cancelled years ago, however the wires still remain).

You can also see some concept art here:

49.jpg

Winky the Wombat - The Hero that's going to send Animals back to the Stupid Age.

74.jpg

Jazz Hands - The new King of the Jungle!

81.jpg

Dynaduck - He knows what to do with his big stick.

73.jpg

Giant Mutated Gopher - Boxing. Dancing. Demolition.

80.jpg

Dr. Toad - Hell is Full. So he waits outside.

---

If you are unaware of who/what Winky the Wombat is, it might be a good idea to do some reading, this isn't the first time he's made an appearance on this site ;O.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
I love Winky the Wombat! Cool and awesome.

Can't wait for this! :thup:

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
"Winky the Wombat - The Hero that's going to send Animals back to the Stupid Age."
Lmao quote.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Oh my... it finally started!

That took you a while :p.

Can't wait for it, be sure you finish this one!

Btw, I can't see the Winky in the interactive version.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Cool... map. How far off can you view? o.o I think I held the left arrow really far and it took me some time to get back. :D

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
La, La, La, WINKY! :)

Cool... map. How far off can you view? o.o I think I held the left arrow really far and it took me some time to get back. :D

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Forever, the background is just an endless loop.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Progress:

• Began Winky animation sprites.
  • Completed 1st Frog enemy sprites.
  • Continued Jungle level.
  • Began City level.
  • Began work on Character Avatars

---

Sometime over the weekend I plan to have several avatars made based off of the characters from the game (Including Jazz Hands, and the Might Mutant Gopher (Also including a new boss, and an old, not so well known character called Erwin the Fish))

The avatars will look something like my current avatar (hopefully I'll be able to produce better quality ones with a little more practice)

As soon as I've scripted and finished animating Winky, I'll put him in to the first level and you'll get your demo immediately :3.

duyen

Reaction score
Progress:

• Began Winky animation sprites.
  • Completed 1st Frog enemy sprites.
  • Continued Jungle level.
  • Began City level.
  • Began work on Character Avatars

---

Sometime over the weekend I plan to have several avatars made based off of the characters from the game (Including Jazz Hands, and the Might Mutant Gopher (Also including a new boss, and an old, not so well known character called Erwin the Fish))

The avatars will look something like my current avatar (hopefully I'll be able to produce better quality ones with a little more practice)

As soon as I've scripted and finished animating Winky, I'll put him in to the first level and you'll get your demo immediately :3.

Nice. :thup:

Just a suggestion: A flying sqirrel ninja boss.

Oh and just for the record, JESUS CHRIST IT'S A LION! GET IN THE CAR!

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Spent about 10 minutes trying to update the page, might have to try again tomorrow, unless you can see the difference:

http://labs.topaz-games.com/winky/levels.html

You should see the memerable Reference Player from Operation Mayhold, I will animate Winky when I can be bothered, this was to test that I could divide the level up (and I can).

Basically, when Refbox reaches a specific point in the level, that part of the level ends but you're taken to the next "frame", which is basically the end of the previous part of the level continued.

This means that instead of having one huge laggy level, I can cut the level up and only display the part of the level that you are playing!

If you see the updated version, enjoy it. If you fall through the level, it's either because you missed the ledges, or because I haven't finished the level yet :3.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Playtested:

Impossibly high maximum velocity makes it possible to simply go straight through walls (try going all the way to the right at the beginning, and then jump straight left).

Movement is really hard to predict where he's going to land (the sliding affect makes it hard).

In my opinion, when pressing left/right, you start out too slow, and accelerate too fast (increase the base x velocity, and decrease the acceleration).

Double jump resets the current x velocity.

The good things:

Movement is really smooth. In the really old version (a looong time ago!), the pathing for all the objects were too squared. The pathing in this game is much better.

Background works well with the movement of the box.

Graphics still look great!

Can't wait to see the next version!

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Pretty much agree with Darthfett. The movement, especially when jumping, is too player controlled. Like when you jump up, and then decide to turn left or right, your character does go left or right and it accelerates so fast. You can't really turn too much and go a different direction when in the air, so that should may be lowered.

Is there a double jump? If there is, that also accelerates really fast. O.O What a fast game. :p

But good job! Awesome! :thup:

Yeah, I fell off by mistake and I slowly watched the background go up until it was all blank. :D

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.