Winky the Wombat - Official Progress Thread

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Impossibly high maximum velocity makes it possible to simply go straight through walls (try going all the way to the right at the beginning, and then jump straight left).

There isn't a limit, yet :3.

Movement is really hard to predict where he's going to land (the sliding affect makes it hard).

Will reduce sliding.

In my opinion, when pressing left/right, you start out too slow, and accelerate too fast (increase the base x velocity, and decrease the acceleration).

Will fix that :3.

Double jump resets the current x velocity.

This was an attempt to make it so that on your 2nd jump, you can jump into a new direction, hopefully fixing the previous point will make this work better.

The good things:

Movement is really smooth. In the really old version (a looong time ago!), the pathing for all the objects were too squared. The pathing in this game is much better.

Thank you, the way I scripted the old one (with a different scrolling engine and such) made it incredibly laggy, but this new method seems to be holding together :3.

Background works well with the movement of the box.

Graphics still look great!

That was unintended but of course I don't plan on changing it :3.

Can't wait to see the next version!

Glad you liked it, thanks for testing!

---

thewrongvine said:
Pretty much agree with Darthfett. The movement, especially when jumping, is too player controlled. Like when you jump up, and then decide to turn left or right, your character does go left or right and it accelerates so fast. You can't really turn too much and go a different direction when in the air, so that should may be lowered.

I threw the movement engine together in about 2 minutes to see if the level section-swapping technique works (and it does!), I'll get to work on fixing the movement later!

Is there a double jump? If there is, that also accelerates really fast. O.O What a fast game.

How does the jumping accelerate at all? If anything it de(-a(?))ccelerates, also holding down UP or pressing UP whilst in mid-air will cause you to double-jump.

But good job! Awesome!

Thanks for testing!

Yeah, I fell off by mistake and I slowly watched the background go up until it was all blank.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

When the level is finished, you shouldn't be able to fall through anything :3.

So, if the level is finished, and you find a place in the level that you fall through, report it instantly ;O.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
OK, that's what I thought. The repeat of that just confused me, lol.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
So I spent the last 2 hours looking into and making an official font for the game, and I now have.

I don't think it's bad for my first font, but it definitely has its flaws. For instance, it's small, you need it to be at Size 30 in an image editing program to see it nicely, here's a preview of the size 30:

font_test.jpg

And here's the download (with 2 previews, although you can just open the ttf file to see it):

http://www.topaz-games.com/upload/MutatedWombat.zip

Enjoy!

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Font looks great, and very fitting. My only complaint is with the "q" which looks more like a "z".

Are you planning on updating the character avatars (such as the one you're using as your current avatar) with the new stylized font?

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Font looks great, and very fitting. My only complaint is with the "q" which looks more like a "z".

So long as you can see the z, the difference is noticeable.

Are you planning on updating the character avatars (such as the one you're using as your current avatar) with the new stylized font?

Yes.

Thanks for commenting.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Nice font. Awesome for a first font. It fits Winky-style. :)

Good job! :thup:

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
I agree with Darth, the "q" is a bit funky...maybe remove the quiggly bit at the bottom?

Also, the reason why this thread caught my vision was because my friends and I were writing a death metal song titled "combat wombat". Just found it funny.

COMBAT WOMBAT!!!

TWO PLUS TWO EQUALS PAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIN!

Maybe name it Combat Wombat instead ;)

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Nice font. Awesome for a first font. It fits Winky-style. :)

Thanks!

Maybe name it Combat Wombat instead ;)

No.

---

Update: I began the menu, here it is:

http://labs.topaz-games.com/winky/menu.html

Lemme know if you can see the custom font (preferably if you haven't downloaded it).

The thing at the bottom is basically to show what version of the game this is, in this case 1.00t stands for the first version that belongs to TPG, it will go to 1.01 when the game is finished, the 't' will replaced by w/e I see fit (b for beta, a for alpha, and other initials to represent any game sites that request the game (this will also show that they asked for the game rather than steal it, so I think it's a good system)).

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Nice Menu!
Props Mate :D
+rep
I cant wait for this.
Do you have an estimated date of when this will come out?

Thanks for commenting.

The game is too early in development for me to give an accurate deadline, infact, I'm not even sure if 2009 is in the question ;O.

The moving background f^cks with my head. >.>

I'll slow it down ;P.

---

I can tell you that I'm aiming at 24 levels*, 4 Episodes, 6-8 Bosses, and a few other things.

* Only including the main storyline, christmas/halloween/other bonus levels will be available by Topaz Store at their respective seasons (you will buy them with points earnt from achievements), the levels also consist of 12 different "worlds".

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Haha yeah, the background is too fast. It attracts your eyes attention even if you try not to look at it. :D
Nice menu!

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Keep an eye out on the game's page for an update, including the following changes:

• Added some Winky animations.
  • Implemented the Menu. (unfinished)
  • Episode Selection Screen added. (unfinished)
  • Spikes added below part of the first level.
  • "1Up Balloon" added.*
  • (not in update) Started work on Beach level.

I've uploaded the update, although the webpage has yet to change.

Comments on the Episode Select Screen are appreciated, but please note that the image to the left is an unfinished template.

* The 1Up Balloon will be a balloon which, when popped, will release a 1Up pickup, which most people will know is a pickup which gives you an extra life, it's unfinished at the moment however.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Awesome update!
Some things:
-I know it's unfinished but the text for the four Winky's are hard to read. Like the only easy-read ones are 'Showtime Winky' and 'Winky the Lab Rat'. The others, you have to like go to that option, and... uh... look real closely?

-Movement is a bit... sensitive I guess. But at the same time, slow to react. A simple push of the button will bring you moving a fast distance, however, like when you just land from jumping, or start the jumping, it takes too long to start. Maybe add some sliding, increase the speed of starting movement, and decreasing the acceleration rate.

-When you jump, you don't have to reach the next platform to jump on that. Or that might be the double-jump... yeah, it probably is.

-Platform edges end too quickly. Like, I'm still on the platform on its edge, but then I fall. It should require your character to be over 75% off the ledge to fall, whilst right now it's like 50%? Or is it because the ledge blockers aren't too far off...

Anyways, I <3 the Winky animations. His feet-swirling thing is awesome, and I think I mastered it. :)

The 1UP Balloon is neat, floats really well like a... balloon. But it's too light I think. It accelerates like super fast even at a simple touch, and continues to ascend really quickly even when it should be descending. It can't be popped yet, right?

Anyways, good job!

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
I can't click the buttons, navigated VIA rightclick --> play.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
-I know it's unfinished but the text for the four Winky's are hard to read. Like the only easy-read ones are 'Showtime Winky' and 'Winky the Lab Rat'. The others, you have to like go to that option, and... uh... look real closely?

I haven't had too many problems reading them, and it's not required for you to be able to read them, think of them as icons.

-Movement is a bit... sensitive I guess. But at the same time, slow to react. A simple push of the button will bring you moving a fast distance, however, like when you just land from jumping, or start the jumping, it takes too long to start. Maybe add some sliding, increase the speed of starting movement, and decreasing the acceleration rate.

I thought the movement was a huge improvement on the previous update D:

-Platform edges end too quickly. Like, I'm still on the platform on its edge, but then I fall. It should require your character to be over 75% off the ledge to fall, whilst right now it's like 50%? Or is it because the ledge blockers aren't too far off...

Intentional, mostly.

The 1UP Balloon is neat, floats really well like a... balloon. But it's too light I think. It accelerates like super fast even at a simple touch, and continues to ascend really quickly even when it should be descending. It can't be popped yet, right?

Slip-up in the script, which I will fix another time.

And no, it can't be popped yet.

Anyways, good job!

Thanks for the comments.

I can't click the buttons, navigated VIA rightclick --> play.

You use the arrow keys to navigate through the menu :p.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Oh, sorry, I forgot to say that they were a great improvement from the previous versions! :D Uh... how about this: I really like the game so I forgot? :)

OK.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
You use the arrow keys to navigate through the menu :p.

Oh, must of missed that. :D

<3ed the double jump, but the movement felt a bit weird. Guess I'll get used to that.

Also, if you hold a direction and hit jump, you have to spam hit jump for a good few seconds before it'll recognize it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.