[WIP] Emergence Day

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
http://www.moddb.com/mods/emergence-day

This forum seemed the most relevant to post this, sorry if I got it wrong.

PROGRESS
GDD__________[||||||||||]
Art___________[||||||||||]
Programming___[||||||||||]
Audio_________[||||||||||]
Animation______[||||||||||]

Release Date: TBA

Emergence Day is a Starcraft II map being developed by Varine, co-executive producer & lead programmer, Aeternal Designs, LLC.

ÆD

Emergence Day (E Day) is SCII mod under development by Æternal Designs (well, by me and I'm putting ÆD's name on it), set in Epic Games' Gears of War universe.

E Day is a cooperative horror-survival game, similar to maps such as NotD from Warcraft III. It is a third person shooter, and in the early stages of development.

As it stands, I'm not horribly familiar with the SCII mod kit having never used it before a couple days ago, so it will likely take another couple weeks before I get much done in the game itself. I'm imagining it's going to have limitations that I am not expecting or didn't think of so I am going to refrain from posting much on the gameplay mechanics until I have a firmer understanding of the extents I can take it. I am currently intending on releasing it as open source upon completion.

This is being done in my free time (I have other projects that take precedence) so it will likely be some time before it's completed. Mostly I'm just making a few little mods to promote AED, planning on making a template for an FPS as well as a few other things.

Please post any questions or comments.

http://img190.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=wretchq.jpg

Varine

Reaction score
[YOUTUBE]q8Hlco6u32o[/YOUTUBE]

Animation for a wretch screaming. ~7,000 polygons, only diffuse map applied.

2-P

I will work hard tomorrow
Reaction score
Cute! I hope that's not the lowpoly version, isn't sc2's average polycount around 1000?

Varine

Reaction score
I'm not sure. I believe that most of them are between 1,000 to 5,000, with a few (like Thor) being at ~10,000. However I haven't applied the normal maps yet as I haven't really looked into the ones SCII uses yet, other than what someone told me on THW. I'm guessing that they aren't very good given that it's an RTS and the camera isn't close enough to get see details anyway, whereas this is a lot closer so the resolution needs to be significantly higher. However, there will be a lot less on the screen. You can easily get, say, seventy five, a hundred units on screen at once. 1,500 polys each, 112,500 to 150,000, at least. I will have maybe twenty or thirty, and I'm sure I can throw a lot more at the rendering engine than the standard game does. Plus I can further optimize everything static by dividing them, as you can only see half of a building at once it doesn't need to all be be rendered together. I could get meshes like this to work in Warcraft usually, but I was also restricted to a four megabyte filesize so you really didn't have much choice but to bring it down to a couple thousand at most so that it would only be a few kilobytes.

Working on the Corpser right now, it's the last Locust model I have to do. Then I can do COG and optimizations, and I'm working in the editor to see if I can get it to do everything I want. Once I get what that working I can go into what the gameplay will be like and work on specific animations and estimate the alpha release. Right now I'm hoping this summer, it'll coincide with the estimated alpha of Wardawg and then probably get this released a few months before we start doing advertising for Wardawg and AED will maybe be popular in the SC world.

Varine

Reaction score
Added images of finalized Locust models and updated moddb page.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.