[WIP] Semi-Funky

Jimpy

The Invisible Observer
Reaction score
Compress drums with something similar to the FL compressor drum preset. Then adjust their volume levels to where you want them.

Intro synth is neat, very silent and backgroundey, its higher up freq wise in its over tones then other instruments and could probably use a bit of a volume boost.

Is your hihats open and closed set to cut one another off?

Piano could use a bit of a raise near 3kz (roughly, I'm just going by ear) so it pops out a bit more.

Kick sounds good.

I like it thus far, very light and not moody, or retardo-happy.

Anything on your master?

Whitesock

Graphics Help Zone Moderator
Reaction score
Anything on your master?

Well I've gotten better with the mixing as of late. No mastering really. I think I threw a compressor on the bass and maybe like 2 or 3 soundgoodizers in there. Other than that it's just volume manipulation.

Is your hihats open and closed set to cut one another off?

They cut out on the eighth as is so I didn't feel a need to cut them.

Piano could use a bit of a raise near 3kz (roughly, I'm just going by ear) so it pops out a bit more.

When I master I'll try that out, but until I have a good mix and the whole thing tracked out I don't want to get too much into the EQ.

Kick sounds good.

It's from the warbeats drumkit (the free one). They have a LOT of good drum sounds on there, I highly recommend it!

Jimpy

The Invisible Observer
Reaction score
Well I've gotten better with the mixing as of late. No mastering really. I think I threw a compressor on the bass and maybe like 2 or 3 soundgoodizers in there. Other than that it's just volume manipulation.

If you ever want a good sit down talk about mixing and mastering, don't hesitate to ask me. Stick to mixing for now, exclude mastering.

They cut out on the eighth as is so I didn't feel a need to cut them.

Okey, its good to make sure they do cut one another usually though, it will help make your drums a bit more real and snappy sounding. Easier to mix with too if they don't play as much on top one another.

When I master I'll try that out, but until I have a good mix and the whole thing tracked out I don't want to get too much into the EQ.

Eqing isn't as scary as some people think, its basically your clamp on the sound frequencies you want an instrument making. General guidelines, don't raise or lower sections by more then 3db, unless you are outright removing something. Always easier to do a low frequency drop off and have your sound preserved, and cleaner when playing with alot of other stuff.

It's from the warbeats drumkit (the free one). They have a LOT of good drum sounds on there, I highly recommend it!

I'm familiar with them. Their great for layering and morphing into new combined drum noises.

Zakyath

Reaction score
I like the song - but the intro synth that stays in the whole song should be modified in my opinion. I think it needs a "softer" sound. And the second part of it (bar 2 and 3 out of 4) doesn't flow as nice as the first and second bar - I think it's the tone that's much lower than the others that I don't like.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
My first impression without reading others' comments. I really like the synthy bass. The piano adds a nice vibrant background feel. The chords in the background are also a nice touch, makes it feel a bit funky/jazzy. Drums are good, though I can't really evaluate them with the song being so short! >.<

I think the intro synth gets a bit on my nerves after starting the song over again. It sounds as if it's going to be part of the intro, but just hangs in the background and repeats itself.

Overall, the song is great so far, but too short. Please expand it!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.