Wireless controller hack, would it work.

midnight8

NUON & Atari VCS Forum Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, I am trying to wrap my head around this, but I think it should work. so, you can play games with the remote control, right? So if we remove the board from a remote, I have not opened the remote yet, so I could be way off base with this. Mount the board in an arcade stick type box, obviously with the transmitter facing the front. Use the contact traces in the remote to solder wires to corresponding buttons on the arcade stick. Use the arcade stick you built making sure to keep it facing the dvd unit. I need to play some games with the remote see what works and what doesn't with the remote. Guessing the stick it digital, not analog? someone tell me if this theory seems reasonable. No proprietary chip for the remote, because i have used other remotes on the dvd players before. tell me if this is stupid, won't hurt my feelings

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
It might work but it would be probably be very laggy. It also probably would not have all the functionality like Analog, etc.

midnight8

Staff member
Reaction score
It might work but it would be probably be very laggy. It also probably would not have all the functionality like Analog, etc.
But some of the controllers were digital only anyway, right?

midnight8

Staff member
Reaction score
so, i have decided I am going to try this. I am going to sacrifice a remote. I am actually going to try it with a different samsung remote that is very similar to the nuon first. I am going to take a slighly different approach. I want to build a box that will house the transmitter remote board, and put a connector so I can plug a controller with a cord to it. I bought a sacrificail remote should be here before christmas, and also bought a couple of old serial cabled logitech wingman controllers to play with. Using this approach rather than the arcade box, one i have anormal controller, but secondly keeping the transmitter in a second box, I don't have to worry about the controller not being pointed at the player when i move around. before i get started i am gonna play around with a couple games using the remote. if this works, maybe I go with the completely wireless version which would be the arcade stick. If this doesn't work, or lag is too bad, then oh well, not like it is a big loss., just some time and a 5 dollar wingman controller. If it does work, it gives someone a hack to actually have a controller that can be had cheap

Phipscube

Reaction score
Hi, i'm new here, just recently bought a Toshiba SD-2300. It came with the wrong remote so I bought one on ebay. Day later the guy that sold me the Nuon apoligised as he'd found the correct one and is sending me it too.. so i'll have two remotes and i'm thinking of doing the same sort of thing to the spare. So I'm wondering how this hack went?

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Come on midnite don't tell me your new telescope stopped this project :) FYI midnite just got a bad ass new telescope and apparently lives in a low light environment so I hope we did not lose a mod.

midnight8

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, i'm new here, just recently bought a Toshiba SD-2300. It came with the wrong remote so I bought one on ebay. Day later the guy that sold me the Nuon apoligised as he'd found the correct one and is sending me it too.. so i'll have two remotes and i'm thinking of doing the same sort of thing to the spare. So I'm wondering how this hack went?
have not tried it yet, had some ideas rolling around in my head, but a lot has come up, last few months have been rough, we will see if I ever get around to it

midnight8

Staff member
Reaction score
Come on midnite don't tell me your new telescope stopped this project :) FYI midnite just got a bad ass new telescope and apparently lives in a low light environment so I hope we did not lose a mod.
actually, I live in a very high light pollution area. lots of refineries, and city lights. Everything that has gone on, I have only got to use that telescope once. I sold over 4 grand in telescope equipment to be be able to buy that telescope

Phipscube

Reaction score
have not tried it yet, had some ideas rolling around in my head, but a lot has come up, last few months have been rough, we will see if I ever get around to it

Ok no probs :) I might try it myself. I have a faulty Jag pad and a generic toshiba remote that works with my Nuon (just doesn't have a nuon button) so could hack them together. I'll post here if I manage it :)

Phipscube

Reaction score
Well I have managed to hack the generic remote and the faulty Jag pad together! It works reasonably well. The biggest drawback is that the receiver only accepts one button press at a time, it cannot handle multi button presses (eg direction + fire, has to be direction or fire) so it takes a little practice to play for example Tempest. But I found a way with tapping quickly the directions and fire alternately. Once the first powerup comes and autofire is active it is much better! I have tested Ballistic too and that works really well! It works with freefall but is just as unplayable as with a real digital only pad... it relies on analogue and this doesn't have it. I don't have Merlin racing, Tetris or Space Invaders yet but I think it could be ok with them too

Attachments

• 20210824_215132.jpg
    20210824_215132.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 138
  • 20210824_224327.jpg
    20210824_224327.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 129
  • 20210824_224921.jpg
    20210824_224921.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 127
  • 20210824_224933.jpg
    20210824_224933.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 127
  • 20210824_225506.jpg
    20210824_225506.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 128

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
That is really cool man! There are going be NUON controllers coming out new from Songbird hopefully in the next decade but maybe someone can take some inspiration from this and come up with an alternative in the meantime. But hell ya this is awesome! Go NUON!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.