US News Woman suing Google because she got hit by a car using their walking directions

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
A Utah woman used Google Maps' walking directions on her Blackberry and was given directions to walk onto a highway. She got hit and is now suing Google for damages.

You know those warning labels on those chemical packets that come in new shoes that say 'do not eat'? Have you ever wondered why they have to print something so stupidly obvious?

Enter Lauren Rosenberg of Park City, Utah. She used Google Maps on her Blackberry to get walking directions from one part of town to another. Part of those direction included walking on a road without sidewalks called Deer Valley Drive, aka Utah State Route 224.

According to court documents, instead of finding a different route or walking safely away from traffic, she walked into the street and was (surprise!) struck by a car. Now she's suing Google for in excess of $100,000.

Last edited:

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Common sense, use it people!

Like that stupid woman who sued McDonalds because the coffee was hot and spilled on her...

YourFace

<span style="color:#9C9C9C;"><strong>Runner Up - T
Reaction score
Then Google stops their map service because of this B**ch

Xienoph

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Well ... Google Map has the "Use caution – This route may be missing sidewalks or pedestrian paths." for handling this kind of lawsuit trolls. Did that idiot not read that?

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
I didn't even think that you could tell google the mode of transport you were going to use so I thought I would check it out. Here's what it said:
Walking directions are in beta.
Use caution – This route may be missing sidewalks or pedestrian paths.
I wonder how recent that caution message is.

EDIT: beaten to the punch line

sqrage

Reaction score
IF you read the article you would know that the warning didnt show up on her phone. Still a fucking idiot though.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
First women can't drive, now they can't even walk?! What the hell!!! Should have of stayed in the kitchen!

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
She should be sueing her phone company for a faulty product then....

ReVolver

Reaction score
She should be sueing her phone company for a faulty product then....

She should sue herself and send herself to jail. The world doesn't need people like her.

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Considering other retarded things that people have gotten away with (climbing over a barbed wire fence into a wolf enclosure after hours in a zoo despite the signs that said that that was a bad idea, getting attacked, and then successfully suing the zoo afterwards) I wouldn't be surprised if she get away with this.

ReVolver

Reaction score
America, the only place you can sue for being retarded, and win.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Maybe not win, but you can sue for just about anything there.

Did it not occur to her that if she walked on to this highway that she could be hit before doing so?

ReVolver

Reaction score
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.