Sci/Tech Woolly mammoth to be brought back to life from cloned bone marrow 'within five years'

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
article-2069541-01899BC800000578-999_468x286.jpg

Scientists believe it may be possible to clone a woolly mammoth within five years after finding well-preserved bone marrow in a thigh bone recovered from permafrost soil in Siberia.

Teams from Russia's Sakha Republic's mammoth museum and Japan's Kinki University will launch fully-fledged joint research next year aiming to recreate the giant mammal, Japan's Kyodo News reported from Yakutsk, Russia.

By replacing the nuclei of egg cells from an elephant with those taken from the mammoth's marrow cells, embryos with mammoth DNA can be produced, Kyodo said, citing the researchers.

The scientists will then plant the embryos into elephant wombs for delivery as the two species are close relatives, the report said.

Last edited:

duderock101

Check out my 2 Player Co-op RPG!
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but what's the point of doing this? I'm guessing its cost a lot of money for research, which could of been better spent on other research projects, like curing cancer.

Hey, actually... maybe they could start a tourist park on an island and populate it with dinosaurs next.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but what's the point of doing this? I'm guessing its cost a lot of money for research, which could of been better spent on other research projects, like curing cancer.

How many times must I post this, :(

[youtube]bEKF80fCpjo[/youtube]

pr0-assasin

Reaction score
To tell you the truth I find this fascinating. The possibilities if this were successful is at the very least, interesting.

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
And call it Manny. :)

This is indeed fascinating. We don't need a time machine, we can bring the history to us instead.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Seriously, bringing back such animal, without others of it's kind or a habitat to support it. That's not cool

Next, let's bring back the humanlike species. eh?

I dunno, sounds like a solution to world hunger... amirite?
No way!

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Seriously, bringing back such animal, without others of it's kind or a habitat to support it. That's not cool
Because those with the technology to bring an extinct animal back to life could not possibly have the technology to create an environment suitable for it :rolleyes:

dark typer

Reaction score
Meh, I think that these scientist are finding ways to kill time

But only working on a wooly mammoth? Come on, even i can think of things to be cloned better than a mammoth. Well, at least they're trying to revive a prehistoric animal...so good for them

That's one more species that we have to feed

Because those with the technology to bring an extinct animal back to life could not possibly have the technology to create an environment suitable for it :rolleyes:

true. Even if we can bring this creature back to life... do you think we can create a suitable habitat for it to last its whole life span

i doubt we can keep it alive for 2 months

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.