• YES word limit, NO post limit

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • NO word limit, NO post limit

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters

Ioannes

Oh man, I shot Marvin in the face.
Reaction score
The average post in this section is several paragraphs long. Several paragraphs of opinion multiplied by 10+ equals too much text for some people :)D) to read through before writing anything down. Clearly, this needs a change.

In real debating, people have a limited amount of time to speak (say 5-7 minutes). This ensures that everything is kept concise and everyone can keep up with the logic of the debate. To facilitate debating in here, I suggest that two kinds of limits are introduced for this section.

First of all, word limit. For the sake of brevity, posts shouldn't be allowed to go beyond n words where n is a number like 300 or 400. This way, two things will be achieved: posters will be more informative and will say only the important things, plus the threads will be easier to read, making it accessible for more people to participate.

Second, post limit. People should be allowed to post a limited number of times in a single debate. Again, this helps filter out irrelevant locquaciousness and makes posts more informative and costing less effort to approach. The post limit could be "a few," with the admins having the final word.

To illustrate my principles, this will be my last post in the thread, and I kept it under 250 words. :)

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
It isn't a debate if there were words limit. Seriously!
Well, maybe in a debate contest. But who the hell would count words? :rolleyes:
And if you have time to count words, then you have time to read all post. Isn't that so? lol
Well, Just No!

Zakyath

Reaction score
If anything, the mods should make sure the rules are enforced and the debates are kept mature and only proper arguments would be allowed. Many arguments seen in this forum are not much more than speculations.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> To illustrate my principles, this will be my last post in the thread, and I kept it under 250 words.
If people are making a large number of points, it's not always possible to keep things so short. Besides, as Zakyath mentioned, longer posts tend to be of better quality.

If anything, there should be a minimum word limit.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
In real debates, people also spend a lot of time preparing for it, :p
Obviously you should take careful consideration into what you post (since that's what we all do here), but it's no way close to a real debate.

It's fine. Like what Romek said.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I don't really have any issue with long posts as long as it's somewhat organized

and as for a # of posts limit, I would say that there isn't any need for it - the admins will come and close the thread once the debate is over, maybe something like a there must be at least 2 posts between your previous post or something to prevent a 1-on-1 conversation, but that would require some coding from the admins ;P

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
In real debates, people also spend a lot of time preparing for it, :p
Obviously you should take careful consideration into what you post (since that's what we all do here), but it's no way close to a real debate.

It's fine. Like what Romek said.

I push someone until they call me a Nazi to push the limits of Godwin's Law. Soon I will refine it and it shall hence forth be The God-Varine's Law.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
A post limit doesn't seem to make sense. If two people are in a heated debate, sometimes they can banter on back and forth for a while, especially if they're on at the same time. There's no issue with this, unless they're causing problems, which isn't a problem on the number of posts, but their quality and the thought put into them.

A word limit also doesn't make sense. Sometimes a well thought out argument or metaphor can be quite long. It can still be quality, and can still be interesting enough to get read by most.

These issues you have with walls of text take care of themselves. They get ignored. Often, people with less well thought out arguments will not be as organized or persuasive in saying what they need to say. Part of being a good debater is having some charisma.

I think the overall issue here, is that debates are different from regular posts. People in these forums need to know this, and understand that some posts can entirely be a form of venting frustration. You don't have to read every post. Usually the main, well thought out arguments are easy to spot. If you're going to debate, those are the ones you need to read.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ermm, guys? Look at the date of Post #7.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.