World Editing Ethics

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwedishChef

Reaction score
iLolz.

BUT I WANNA STEAL THE DOTA TERRAIN... It's so good and so much better than what I could probably do... XD

:thup:

On that note, any good terrainers out there for an AoS? :p PM me. XD

to steal the dota terrain would be so boring, you dont want to play a new map with exactly the same terrain as the one you usually play.

BlackDeath09

Reaction score
Using other peoples ideas isn't stealing at all. Especially when there are only about 5 different 'ideas' out there, and everyone uses a variant of one of them.
Terrain, however, is somebodies work. They took time to make it, and there's probably nothing identical to it out there. So you taking that is stealing.

> i wouldnt be so quick to judge for crimes that you have committed
Wut?

you created a map or your friend did rather that took all dota spells and posted a map with them for people to use.
Bliz doesnt support world editor directly. Blizzard has copyright to WE and thereby any map created through any version of WE however anymap created through and different form of editor without proper authority of blizzard is in a hazardous form of the copyright and is thereby punishable by federal law of infringement without monetary gain.

IE who cares what nerd made the map it all belongs to blizzard, so please take the map use it for your benefit and your fun because this is a game and if you are having fun then i am happy for you, so whether you steal my map or any other map as long as it brings you fun please do it.

Edit: and people please try to remember that ALL maps belong to blizzard so stop wasting your time protecting them because you actually have no legal right to do so. its not really your map so suck it, its blizzards map.

Chao

Setting sail for fail in the sea of lame.
Reaction score
Imitation is the purest form of flattery ^_^ Do what you must with what you have, but make it yours. I didn't catch who said the thing about "building a skyscraper on uneven ground" but that's so true... you want something that YOU are proud of.

dragonhord

Knowledge is true opinion. - Plato
Reaction score
you created a map or your friend did rather that took all dota spells and posted a map with them for people to use.
Bliz doesnt support world editor directly. Blizzard has copyright to WE and thereby any map created through any version of WE however anymap created through and different form of editor without proper authority of blizzard is in a hazardous form of the copyright and is thereby punishable by federal law of infringement without monetary gain.

IE who cares what nerd made the map it all belongs to blizzard, so please take the map use it for your benefit and your fun because this is a game and if you are having fun then i am happy for you, so whether you steal my map or any other map as long as it brings you fun please do it.

Edit: and people please try to remember that ALL maps belong to blizzard so stop wasting your time protecting them because you actually have no legal right to do so. its not really your map so suck it, its blizzards map.
For one thing DotA took a lot of stuff from numerous other people and most of it isn't even his own, secondly they just took the basics of DotA and made a GUI template for people to learn from... Where is this map with all of the spells you speak of because I do not recall this being anywhere... There would be no point to this... There is an open DotA, but I don't think anyone from this site does it... And protecting doesn't do much, but it prevents some people from opening the map and stealing things you don't want them to... In the end if people want it, people will get it, but if you put work into it I can understand why you wouldn't want someone to just be able to take it, add a different number to version, and re-release it under their name -_-.

Undead Me

Reaction score
What I'm doing atm is reworking all units he has, making up entirely new abilities, turning things that used to be units into heroes, redoing all the triggers and mechanics, and redoing the items and balancing.

I am keeping parts of his terrain the same, but changing other parts. He has a number of spaces on the map that are largely wasted, I aim to change that by filling them with my only terrain and useful features. On the other hand he has a really great waterfall in one corner and I'm not messing with that.

All over the map I have written that this is not originally my map and that it is simply a remake of someone else's.

Oh and it wasn't protected to begin with, I just opened it up.

Soooo is that specific situation ethical?

Fire-Wolf

S.P.D Smoke Pot Daily, Legalize It!
Reaction score
I would say so. You add lots of things, and what not. So I think if you say that you did not think of the map, it would be ethical. However I don't believe in stealing other peoples hard work, and calling it your own, but seeing as how you are not doing this, I believe it is ethical.

BlackDeath09

Reaction score
Work? what point did this become work, i didnt realize blizzard was paying you but if someone else is paying to either make a map for them or any way that will earn you up and over 5 years in a prison as that is 100% stealing blizzards actual work. try not to forget this last statement any of you. Whether you are playing single player online OR creating a map it is apart of the game which means i dont care if you call it work its not your just playing a game whether your getting pissed off in a DOTA game or getting pissed off at your triggers its all a game and at any point if you dare call it your work i will notify blizzards law office immediately that you are getting paid and have you arrested i am a lawyer and people who brake the law piss me off.

BlackDeath09

Reaction score
here i have your IP address your full name and your phone number you live on mapquest time 1 hour 58 minute estimated driving time for me. would you like me to come visit you right now and explain it to you have charge you $300 for getting it through your thick head or would you like your phone 5 feet away from you to start ring and me yell at you to get it through your head or would you like me to call Ibrihiem Tabel in blizzards law office whose actually the supervisor and my friend from law school and notify him your stealing money that rightfully belongs to blizzard.

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
Please do come to my house, kind sir.
Just don't ring the doorbell because my brother and sister are sleeping :) .

EDIT: Eh, just to be ontopic a little;
I wouldn't edit someone elses map or anything.
Just make your own, then you have no worries.

SkateuUp

Reaction score
IF u want im sure u could keep the waterfall and start from scratch on everything and give the map credit for it and off topic how did you find all that info on him?

Edit: or were you joking?

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
He probably didn't.
I can do it too, watch this:

"Screw you SkateuUp.
I know where you live, your name, the IP address of your computer, and your phone number.
MapQuest says you live approximately 2 hours and 35 minutes away from me.
Would you like me to come to your door and preach to you about stealing and criminal offenses?"

:rolleyes: .

EDIT: Read a little more in this thread and;
If you do use anything from that guys map,
Or even if you don't you should at least credit him (For the idea and such) .

SkateuUp

Reaction score
Hes already started so i guess he is just gonna give credit so i guess thats all
P.s. u forgot that my phone is 5 feet away

Fire-Wolf

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I loled so loud at BlackDeath. By work I didn't mean getting paid, work as in giving up your own spare time to do something. It's like mowing your lawn, or planting things, do you get paid to do it? Probable not... And if you know all that information about us, then you are just plain f***ed up... Thats really stalker. And if you read the copyright stuff at the begining of World Edit, it says Blizzard doesn't support the editor or anything with it. So go ahead use your stalker knowledge and report me to blizzard for making a map, and saying its "work". I would like to see them laugh at you...

EDIT: I won't -rep you for that, but I will -rep you for double posting. Read the rules buddy.

BlackDeath09

Reaction score
actually its not fucked up its called cross checking your IP address through the police data base to get your information or information of your family if you are not old enough and not registered takes 5 minutes if you have access 10 minutes to go around their pathetic firewalls. here lemme post a message on your desktop right now and see how funny it is wolfie you not what message ima put there "I'll be here in 2 hours" read it in 5 minutes and then laugh

Frozenhelfir

set Gwypaas = Guhveepaws
Reaction score
here i have your IP address your full name and your phone number you live on mapquest time 1 hour 58 minute estimated driving time for me. would you like me to come visit you right now and explain it to you have charge you $300 for getting it through your thick head or would you like your phone 5 feet away from you to start ring and me yell at you to get it through your head or would you like me to call Ibrihiem Tabel in blizzards law office whose actually the supervisor and my friend from law school and notify him your stealing money that rightfully belongs to blizzard.

Over the top and inappropriate & double post. -rep. And by work, we mean putting in our time and effort to something. If I were to earn minimum wage for the amount of time spent working on my map, I'd be sitting on a comfortable $1-2,000.

Please cite the Terms of Service that prevents us from copyrighting our maps and/or making money from them. I generally dislike lawbreakers, but I dislike your kind even more.

EDIT:

BlackDeath09 said:
actually its not fucked up its called cross checking your IP address through the police data base to get your information or information of your family if you are not old enough and not registered takes 5 minutes if you have access 10 minutes to go around their pathetic firewalls. here lemme post a message on your desktop right now and see how funny it is wolfie you not what message ima put there "I'll be here in 2 hours" read it in 5 minutes and then laugh

I thought you hated lawbreakers. Breaking laws yourself eh?

Fire-Wolf

Reaction score
Agreed but its so funny the way he freaks out...

Yes I'm pretty sure hacking into the cops computer sever is illegal, and would get you more time than copyright infringment. So Mr.Lawbreaker, do you hate yourself?

EDIT:Off Topic: Also is that how you get your dates phone numbers and addresses when they tell you not to talk to them any more after the first date? Because you sure seem skilled at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.