World of Darkness

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Let's say I had one of the three books for WoD [link found here] or even all three...

Would people be interested in playing?

Because I would be interested in hosting the games :)

[I also own 3 or 4 of the older D&D books. In case anyone's curious.]

Wizard

:)
Staff member
Reaction score
Greetings from The Wayward Inn.

Seth, the Inn has a sister site, one of the biggest white wolf fan communities for exalted on the internet. There is enough members to easily easily get a WoD game going since lots of members have been searching for one, and you can use one of our chatrooms or teamspeak and other various RP tools or get your own forums for a post by post game.

http://www.patternspider.net

You can make a post here http://www.patternspider.net/forums/heavenly-registry.31/ I am sure people will join when they see it. They've been asking for a new World of Darkness game.

Cheers,
The Dark Wizard

DM Cross

Reaction score
Or, ya know, I could play and host the game HERE, with people from HERE, using resources from HERE and bring activity to HERE instead of going elsewhere to find someone else's game/people/resources...?

Nothing personal :) Just saying.

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
Honestly man, I've never heard of World of Darkness. I took a quick glance at the page you pointed me to, and that's like learning someone else's entire world; I already did that once with D&D for no reason, I don't really wanna go through it again.

That being said, I do like D&D, and if this game is fun and easy enough for people to pick up and go with then I'd be more than willing to participate. What's the general concept behind the gameplay, I couldn't even find a straight answer because I was being barraged by erroneous facts regarding monsters and races that didn't mean to much to me. I assume that you'd be the equivalent to a DM? If that's the case, it really might be fun and interesting.

So I guess my vote is: 'Yes', as long as it's not to difficult for da noobs.

DM Cross

Reaction score
Hopefully not too hard for me either, since I've never actually played. I know the local bookstore sells the books, I've seen Vampire: The Requiem and Werewolf: The Forsaken there.

I'll look over the books before I buy them, to see if it's confusing.

Fatmankev

Reaction score
Right on, it seems like a D&D style game, except through a text-based medium instead of pen&paper. If that's the case, it could really be a blast (albeit, knowing D&D, pretty effin' frustrating too). You figure it out and, like I said, I'll definitely give it a whirl and see how she runs.

Don't go spending $40 on books if you're not sure you're gonna like it yourself, neither =P

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
I'd be up for any kind of D&D role playing game here if someone would want to go through the trouble of being a GM.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
I think the game might be interesting but I am somewhat confused is this game a traditional D&D game as in we will have sessions and such in a chat fashion, or is it being converted into a post by post forum roleplay? I think both can be fun (though I have never really seen much of World of Darkness) but I am not sure how much time I can commit or anything like that. So no guarantees :eek:

DM Cross

Reaction score
If post by post means more activity because you can leave and come back to it, we'll do that. If players inactivity holds up a game, we'd have to come up with a policy for that.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
That'd be cool, but seeing how fickle the forum is already, I'm unsure if any game will be able to get off the ground. I get PMs quite frequently now about the forum, but few people ever reply or are always having these ideas that never follow through. I'd like to do more stuff, but I'm not sure if anyone would want to do any fun things. :eek:

Fatmankev

Reaction score
Yeah, I been trying to cram replies into every new thread I see, but it seems to be a turn off to some people - I feel like people are getting tired of seeing 'Fatmankev' as the header when they enter the Writer's Corner, but there are so few are are adding anything, you know? Like I said, it would surely be fun but that person that commented first might have the right idea... if it's something you really wanted to do, you'd probably have better luck on a different site.

But again, you get it organized and I'll definitely play my part.

As for making it instantaneous chat or post-by-post, they both clearly have there ups-and-downs and either method might work, or neither of them might work. You never know. I have a feeling that the instant method would be overall more effective, but I feel like coordinating times that we could all play together would be quite difficult. On the other hand, post-by-post would take a hell of a long time just to get a little bit accomplished.

I'd like to play with ya'll, but we needa figure out the best way to get things done before we ever begin. It seems like execution seems to be a problem with some of these little forum games - we'd need fairly dedicated players if it were to actually succeed. As long as we start it right and with enough people, those who started it should keep at it and hopefully we'd draw in some new faces.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
To address some of you with concerns,

I have played - I've lost count how many - roleplaying games and have hosted all sorts of different versions. Not to say I am some pro, but I do know my way around the block. All I can really say is there is a lot to roleplaying. In my opinion its one of the most fun activities because it takes all the fun of writing but makes it a social experience. Its fun, but that is if everyone that enters is willing to do the effort the others require them to do. The amount requires varies from one roleplay to the next and the players within that roleplay. No roleplay is really the same.

I have had some roleplays where people post once every few days, and some where people post multiple times a day. Really though its more about quality over quantity. I prefer multiple paragraphs over the two or three or four liners I sometimes observe (god save us from the 3/4th liners).

To be honest I haven't looked much into World of Darkness, but from my experience most book games usually prefer to be played in chat. That isn't to say I haven't seen successful book to forum conversions. If done correctly in which they provide enough lore to stay relevant but enough to have a story that allows players freedom, they allow for a proper bridge between the two worlds and the different types of players (the ones that prefer more lore, the others that prefer more freedom).

Chat roleplays are easier to follow the books because the characters are usually not as layered (as such can be easily adaptable to the lore), you can have more fighting and things rely on skill checks rather than the individual player's own ability to describe things.

Forum roleplays require more freedom to build an appropriate world where the players are more writers than just game players. Over all, I personally prefer forum roleplays that are majority/completely original over one based on any particular thing (such as a book or storyline).

Though like I said, I have seen all the varies versions. In all honesty roleplaying is fun and I am glad that one of my Wayward Inn forum roleplays that I currently DM/GM has just gotten over 1,000 posts recently. Yet that was accomplished through a lot of work and some dedicated players. I have seen some players blossom, writing more than they thought they ever could, and others drop out. Still even now and then we all have to nag each other to post (including myself). :p

That's my like 1-cent rant, because I am not even really being that concise or decisive it doesn't deserve the extra penny.

Fatmankev

Reaction score
I've gotta be honest, although it sounds like a fun idea, I don't think there are enough active members for it to really get going. It'd probably just be a disappointment and a waste of your time in organizing the effort, when it comes down to it; not that I'm trying to bash it, 'cuz it would've been an awesome idea a couple of years ago, but it just wouldn't turn out right now. Thanks for sharing the idea, though.

It would've been fun.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.