Environment World's largest iceberg breaks off of Antarctica

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
An enormous iceberg, a little bigger than the state of Rhode Island, has broken off of Antarctica.

The finger-shaped chunk of ice, which is roughly 105 miles (170 kilometers) long and 15 miles (25 kilometers) wide, was spotted by satellites as it calved from the western side of Antarctica's Ronne Ice Shelf, according to the European Space Agency. The berg is now floating freely on the Weddell Sea, a large bay in the western Antarctic where explorer Ernest Shackleton once lost his ship, the Endurance, to pack ice.

The 1,667-square-mile (4,320 square kilometers) iceberg — which now the world’s biggest and has been called A-76, after the Antarctic quadrant where it was first spotted — was captured by the European Union's Copernicus Sentinel, a two-satellite constellation that orbits Earth's poles. The satellites confirmed an earlier observation made by the British Antarctic Survey, which was the first organization to notice the breakaway.

Because the ice shelf that this berg calved from was already floating on water, the event won't directly impact sea levels. However, ice shelves help to slow the flow of glaciers and ice streams into the sea; so indirectly, the loss of parts of an ice shelf eventually contributes to rising seas, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC). The NSIDC also says that the continent of Antarctica, which is warming at a faster pace than the rest of the planet, holds enough frozen water to raise global sea levels by 200 feet (60 meters). Scientists don't think that human-induced climate change caused the calving of A-76 or its nearby predecessor, A-74.

Read more here. (Live Science)

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if the sea level is going to get to Houston in my life?

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
At least you're not in New Orleans.

From Wikipedia on Houston:
"Downtown stands about 50 feet (15 m) above sea level, and the highest point in far northwest Houston is about 150 feet (46 m) in elevation."

Sounds like a decent amount of room though I'm sure some of the suburban areas around there are lower.

jonas

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I wonder if the sea level is going to get to Houston in my life?
Nah no way. It may not even rise by 3m in the next 100 years. There is a lot of ice but it will take a long time to melt.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.