Would you, as a user, play a game that doesn't know the rules?

Would you play such a game?

• No, definetly not. The game must know the rules.

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • If there is the judgement support you mentioned, I'ld play such a game.

Votes: 15 46.9%

• Total voters

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
This is not for WarCraft 3 (at least, not without mmo support)!
EDIT:
An example:
The game is a chess board.
The application knows that players have figures in some color, that they can move them, and what to do if something like that happens.
There is a rulebook with rules, but there is no error message when the rules are broken, there is no penalty or anything like that.
The players do have to know the rules and enforce them. If the opposing player breaks a rule (in chess, that could be moving two figures instead of one in a single turn), the player needs to tell "You were cheating!" and call a Judgee, who will then look at the game and enforce penalty (undo the illegal move, get excluded from the game (== win for the other player), loose points, get banned for some time etc etc pp) where necessary.

Would you play such a game or is self-managed consistency a 100% must for computer games?

THX TO ARTIFICIAL <3, read before posting.

> I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean.
He means the game would have rules, but the game just wouldn't enforce them. Just like there are rules in chess, but the board and the pieces don't make you have to follow those rules, the other player does.

> since I don't know the rules...
It's the game that doesn't know the rules, not you. :p

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
wait so. its a game, where you depend on the person's honesty to play? I would never do that, self made rules maintained by the game itself are best, because the game is unbiased

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
I would. It's like a card game. For example Poker or Texas Hold Em'. Usually about bluffs. In this case, it's bluffing that the rules are legit and tricking the opponent that the move done is legit. Not just would you need to rely on your opponent's honesty (if any), but on your knowledge of the game and rules.

Cheesy

some fucker
Reaction score
I agree with esb, but it would be full of retards who just screwed around.

Vicboy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
That's what you call Role Play in Battle.Net ^^

Whiney little kids get to play their fantasy.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
i feel like most "players" would only play as long as they can get away with breaking the rules, and if both people break the rules well then it just wont be fun at all..

this makes me think of most board games, only without seeing the other person.. kinda like battleships

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
only in chess your playing with a person you see, im assuming this is an online type of game where you dont see whoever your playing with

Frozenhelfir

set Gwypaas = Guhveepaws
Reaction score
I wouldn't like this. This is like all the cool kids back in gym class that pretended they never got tagged so they could still play. More times than not, the "judge" would probably rule in the cheaters favor just to piss off the person who wants to play the game correctly.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
thanks for reviving it :eek:. Anyway. i still disagree with having no rules overall, but we do this all time. with almost every game outside of the computer. if we play a board game, there are rules, but we can still disobey them. Its not the matter if there are rules, its the matter of "does it MAKE you follow the rules?" computer games do that, and if you dont abide by the rules, you will get punished, that doesnt happen in Candy Land, you can just use sleight of hand :/

KillerChi

Reaction score
This is the last thing you want to do in a game(With exceptions)
If the game doesn't enforce rules, enjoyment will change.

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
thanks for reviving it :eek:. Anyway. i still disagree with having no rules overall, but we do this all time. with almost every game outside of the computer. if we play a board game, there are rules, but we can still disobey them. Its not the matter if there are rules, its the matter of "does it MAKE you follow the rules?" computer games do that, and if you dont abide by the rules, you will get punished, that doesnt happen in Candy Land, you can just use sleight of hand :/

I think we're on the same side.
Why should it work in real life, but not in computers? Of course, it's easier to cheat if you're not seeing the other person, but it still could be fun.

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
That's what you call Role Play in Battle.Net ^^

Whiney little kids get to play their fantasy.

You mean make the female villagers play their death animation over and over again?

On topic: Interesting idea. But I think I would get annoyed after a while. I'ma say no.

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
Excuse me? oO

Ever played a game in real life? Imagine it like real-life gaming.

We got rules in real life too. Laws and standards. I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean.

SerraAvenger said:
If the opposing player breaks a rule (in chess, that could be moving two figures instead of one in a single turn), the player needs to tell "You were cheating!"

In this case, since I don't know the rules, I wouldn't know that the other player was cheating when he's moving two pieces. Therefore, I wouldn't say "You were cheating!", unless I was doing it on random and guessing the rules. In that case, the optimal strategy would be to say "You were cheating!" to everything the opponent does, and that way get a grasp of the rules, depending on how the judge answers.

This might not work since there may be some kind of penalty for being wrong when saying "You were cheating!", in which case the game is pretty much all about having luck, guessing at the rules. This does not sound like fun to me, and I'm guessing I've got something wrong. I'd really like if you cleared it up.

Don't get me wrong. I get what you're saying and I'm intrigued, I just don't know how you'd pull it off.

Edit: What would happen if I learned all the rules? I could enforce all of them, a beginner or a mediocre player wouldn't stand a chance. Would there be randomly generated rules? I figure that'd be hard, but I guess it kind of depends on the game.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.