WoW game addiction is not a mental illness...

N

net2system

<3:)
Video game addiction is not a mental illness.
Is video-game addiction a mental disorder?

Our brain senses, thoughts and feels to help us live. It interprets all these signals and process them so that we could perform certain neccessary actions or tasks.
Our online lives are just digital images that we make and gaming mentality is another cloned state of mind. As games and the gaming mindset take over our digital lives so can it creep into the real world . The online life becomes more appealing than the real life. Addiction may become a critical factor and one that destroy your real self.
Don't be a game addict be YourSelf again .
Ask yourself this again :- Video game addiction is a not mental illness.
What is your say ?

Kenneth chan
My though for this Xmas month
:D

Cornface

Avoid, if at all possible.
Reaction score
ibtlye1.gif

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
This should be in the WoW forum, Games forum or General discussion (depends on how you look at it) by all means it has nothing to do with Warcraft 3. At least as far as I can see.

What do I think of online addiction? Nothing really, someone enjoys it very much, makes his life turn around his computer rather then the other way. Like any kind of addiction you get it from overdoing something that it is by it's nature addictive.

By the way, it is considered to be the "illness" that spreads the fastest today.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Moving this to GD. I'll give it a chance, but I see this closing in the future due to flaming. :rolleyes:

ArmedCitizen

Kisses Cats
Reaction score
There is always someone addicted to something. You can't prevent addiction on any product. The only reason World of Warcraft is a huge debate of if it is an illness or not is because it has such a large fan base. The majority of the people aren't addict to it. It is as simple as that. There are only a few people who you could classify as addicted who ruin the name of WoW for everyone. These people create stereotypes, it gets blown out of proportion, and now WoW is apparently considered the most addictive substance on Earth.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
WoW by my standards is an addiction
An addiction or dependence is a recurring compulsion by an individual to engage in some specific activity, despite harmful consequences to the individual's health, mental state or social life. - Wikipedia

BTW in my mental health book
Mental disorder is a Mental illness and a Mental illness is a Mental Disorder
They are the same thing but Wow Addiction is not anything caused by mental problems such as brain damage (it may lead to that but its not caused by it)

Its actually caused by many reasons caused by the Real world or that you are bored out of your mind
but main reason is because of problems in the real world...

Note: Playing WoW is not the same as WoW addiction

Funny stuff XD

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
>Video game addiction is not a mental illness.
Tell that to the kids who kill or slap their parents for being able to play.

But seriously, it can be an illness to some. It's like a drug. Some people even leave their family and jobs and school and who knows what, for drug. In this case it could be WoW.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
its not caused by an illness it may create one
but it is not caused by an illness :p

but most people are just players not actually need it but still this isn't the only MMORPG and/or Game in this world that as addiction

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Let's delve into the lives of people who become obsessed in WoW (we put ourselves into people's situations a lot in psychology class).

You are 15-16. You aren't doing as well as you should be in school, despite your parent's nagging about how you are their "special child". You know you must be good at something, but you don't know what yet.

Then there's WoW, the enjoyable game that has no end. You complete a quest, good job! You complete another, you must be good at this. Before long, you complete so many that you think that there are few that could stand in your way.

That is when the perfectionism of the person strikes, wanting to be the best at what (s)he thinks they are best at, and that is when the addiction begins.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
So it could be like an "escape", no, more like an alternative world? In the game they feel good, confident, and proud. While in real life it might be the opposite?
So then maybe it's an issue that has to do with self-esteem?

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Well I was going to say that but i was afraid someone going to be offended
but yes most addictions are an escape... Escape from problems of the real world such as drugs bring them pleasure. WoW is a world they have full control of and they like the power. Which so brings them pleasure.

but without this drug... They want it more and more in till they reach a point when they don't have the drug. They feel no emotion ,they don't feel happiness. so they become completely dependent on this Drug...

Because we all know its easier to run or deny a problem then it is to face it or accept it

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
It's also something that has to do with self-control.

I have no problem with self-esteem, yet about an year ago, I was addicted to another MMO. Whenever I got the time, I played it. I was also missing from TH, my base, to say so, forum. I was missing from everything, infact o_O... Then, at a moment, when I was on the road to make a personal server for that game, I stopped and asked myself WTH I was doing. Then the addiction stopped and never occured again, not even with WoW. I replayed that game a bit recently, I also tried WoW, but both of them bored me quicly.

Guess I'm immune now xP.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm off MMOs...
played 3 and each one I forgot the real reason why I was playing the game?
So now I don't even play CD games XD (Reasons because I can't with my broken CD-Drive)

but yes its mostly self-control or that you don't want to deal with a problem...
I have low self-esteem but self-esteem is when you think you can't do something. I don't run away from my problems but I don't think I can do a lot of things. Thats what low self-esteem is

if you play an MMORPG you need to show self control or you will lose yourself to it

and I'm not saying WoW and MMORPGs are bad but too much of a good thing is bad
If you eat an apple... Good your eating something healthy but if you only eat apples. Then your not getting any other nutrients which could lead you to death, etc.

J

jordancds

Yeah, MMORPGs are dangerous for me...
I played wow for 2 years...my total playing time was just under 5 months...My dad made me quit this past summer and now that I think back, I didn't even realize how much I was playing.

I got Warcraft 3 last week(kind of backwards from most people) but I can play it more controlled...Just play a few maps a day and I still have a lot of time left in that day.

But anyway...Addiction to games is definately not a mental illness, its just an addiction. Now I'm sure someone that already had a mental illness and got addicted to a game would go to the extremes to play it(such all the people who have died or killed people, which i've heard of about 7 or 8)

In the end I'm glad my dad made me quit(he told me that if I quit he would pay for me to take scuba diving lessons and he would take me with him when he goes diving in the keys)...I have a lot more time for my friends, homework and stuff that normal people with no addiction do.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
I'm off MMOs...
played 3 and each one I forgot the real reason why I was playing the game?
So now I don't even play CD games XD (Reasons because I can't with my broken CD-Drive)

but yes its mostly self-control or that you don't want to deal with a problem...
I have low self-esteem but self-esteem is when you think you can't do something. I don't run away from my problems but I don't think I can do a lot of things. Thats what low self-esteem is

if you play an MMORPG you need to show self control or you will lose yourself to it

and I'm not saying WoW and MMORPGs are bad but too much of a good thing is bad
If you eat an apple... Good your eating something healthy but if you only eat apples. Then your not getting any other nutrients which could lead you to death, etc.

Agreed.

I've been off MMO's for quite some time. I share nearly the same view as you do about them. What are you grinding away those hours of your life for? A few 0's and 1's to align up perfectly so that you are happy with the uber 1337 armor you got on? Ugh...

The only good thing I see in MMO's are the storylines...that's about it.

If i ever get time to game nowadays, it's usually a game of some RTS.

N

net2system

<3:)

I am not sure if ArmedCitizen said "it gets blown out of proportion" then thats her stand and Mizuio Ken prefers to let Mental illness as a sickness. However the most target-on is Smith_S9 it all has to do with self-control.

My stand is YES if ...
1. Addiction once depreved from me would keep me from going on living.
2. Addiction makes me more irritable /miserable & uncomfortable.
3. My fantasy world makes me feel better.
Ever more so when telltale signs for game addiction show up
1 Spending larger amounts of time playing games.
2 Games keep occupying my thoughts and time.
3 Lying about my game addiction.
4 Withdrawal symptons.
5 Keep blaming others for my own mistakes.
6 Using gaming as an escape from the real world
All these are my own makings .I am the ONE to be blamed not others.
These , I am sure, YOU had have them before .Haven`t you?
kenneth chan
Net2System:shades:

Karawasa

Element Tower Defense
Reaction score
Thank god I've managed to only waste 2-3 months of my life with MMORPGs (I'm happy about that, which is sad). The first was Guild Wars, played it for about 2 months. Then I tried WoW, quit as soon as my free month was up. In both cases, I was glued to the computer the entire time. At the end of my free WoW month, I said to myself "what the fuck am I doing?" Haven't had the desire to play an MMORPG since.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
it becomes also an addiction and a problem when it starts to interfere with your real life...
Which if your running from your problems thats what you want. but MMORPGs are bad only if you misuse them :p

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I was addicted to Everquest when it first came out. It totally absorbed my life and I had to totally walk away from it because I was about to go broke. I call it IAS - Internet Addiction Syndrome and its not just MMORPGs and its totally real.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm Off to write a book on IAS XD

This is an example of IAS
5.gif

If your on IAS I suggest you do shock therapy... Mainly because its the most entertaining (for me)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.