Writer's Challenge (Classic)

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
WritersChallengebanner.png
This is a little 'game' that I wish to play. A game that; any and all members can join, as long as the players are interested and are willing to play it all the way through.

This game will challenge your abilities of your imagination and your writing skills. Hopefully you will learn from this experience and gain something from it. (As even masters still learn things) Of course, this does not mean you can't have fun while doing so :)

What is the Challenge?

The challenge is simple, you will write a short story or poem with at least 500 words on a plot challenge that I will give you from the "Writing Challenge Generation" (Seventh Sanctum Generation Site) and each story will have the same number of "elements" (The number of things it asks for.) Which is 3.

An example of this is here:
Three Element Story said:
The story takes place ten years in the past. The story must have a miner in it. The story must involve an orb in it.

Meaning the story (or possibly a poem) you will write, will meet those qualifications it asks of you. After that, you are free to add anything else to your story. (Such as characters, plots, details of the setting, etc.)

How will you give us our Challenge?
To make the game completely fair, and just. I will not pick the challenge for you, instead you will pick from one of the 18 boxes below. (If more people join another box will also be added.)

Chart not always updated, so please check the Quote box under it to see the latest challenges

WritersChallengebanner-1.png
boxes-1.png

Ninva has Completed Challenge #1
Genkora has Completed Challenge #2
thewrongvine has Accepted Challenge #3
Miz has Completed Challenge #4
thewrongvine has Completed Challenge #5
Challenge #6 is Open
Knight7770 has Completed Challenge #7
Genkora has Completed Challenge #8
Analyze has Accepted Challenge #9
Razalgrim has Accepted Channel #10
Challenge #11 is Open
Bananaman has Completed Challenge #12
Ninva has Completed Challenge #13
Monsterous has Completed Challenge #14
Monsterous has Accepted Challenge #15
XxShadyxX has Completed Challenge #16
Challenge #17 is Open
Challenge #18 is Open

To make things even more fair, Seth Cross will be picking my number. (That's right I am also playing too)

How do we win this game?
Technically you win by posting your story in this thread when it's done. Meaning there is no judging, and no actual winners. Of course you will probably receive constructive criticism from viewers or other players, but you will not be judged.

So if you hereby accept my challenge, I wish you good luck.

Author Profiles

Miz

Challenges Attempted: 1
Challenges Completed: 1

Stories Submitted
The Phantom of a Future (See Post #48) - The Submitted Entry for Challenge #4

Knight7770
Challenges Attempted: 2

Stories Submitted
Milk (Post #8) - The Submitted Entry for Challenge #7.

Ninva
Challenges Attempted: 3
Challenges Completed: 2

Stories Submitted
Untitled (See Post #19) - The Submitted Entry for Challenge #13
Untitled (See Post #87) - The Submitted Entry for Challenge #1

Genkora
Challenges Completed: 2

Stories Submitted
Untitled (See Post #30) - The Submitted Entry for Challenge #8
Untitled (See Post #72) The Submitted Entry for #2

thewrongvine

Stories Submitted
Untitled - (See Post #76) The Submitted Entry for Challenge #5

BANANAMAN

Stories Submitted
Untitled - (See Post #79) The Submitted Entry for Challenge #12

XxShadyxX

Stories Submitted
Untitled - (See Post #122) The Submitted Entry for Challenge #16 [Edited]

Monsterous

Stories Submitted
Sergeant's Story - (See Thread Here) The Submitted Entry for Challenge #14

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Seth has picked Number 4 for me.
So my topic is
4. The story must have a lost soul at the beginning. The story must involve a shield in some part of the story. A character will go clothes shopping, but the action turns into something else.

Arcane

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Six.
I hope I don't get something dumb like what you guys got. Honestly, shopping?

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Box Six reveals!
(Dun Dun Dunnn!)

6. The story takes place five years into the future. During the story, a mysterious package arrives. A character lends someone money.

Arcane

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Oh brilliant.
At least it makes sense I suppose.

Knight7770

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped aliophobia
Reaction score
Mine is done :D

Milk​

Daniel suddenly woke up. Through his tired eyes, he could tell it was very early in the morning. The open window let a cold breeze into the room. He lit a candle kept next to his bed and proceeded downstairs to find some milk. That always helped him get to sleep. The wooden stairs creaked as Daniel walked down them into the kitchen. He opened the small ice box and reached inside, pawing around for the milk bottle. Alas! there was no milk to be found. Slightly annoyed, Daniel trudged back upstairs to put on some clothes. He was going shopping.

Outside, the small car waited to be driven. Daniel opened its door and got in; unhappy to be disturbed in the middle of the night for this. The uneven road woke him up more than anything else, except perhaps worsen his mood. The miniscule convenience store was only a few miles away, thankfully. Daniel parked in a spot close to the shop, not wanting to walk very far in the cold weather.

He pushed open the door, revealing a homely little area filled with merchandise ranging from apples to playing cards. Daniel had been here often, so he knew exactly where the milk was. There was only one bottle left; he had gotten lucky tonight. After paying the cashier, he exited the building and got back into his automobile. Time to go home.

The ride home was just as uncomfortable as before. However, he quickly realized something was wrong when he saw several policemen rushing ahead of him. Instead of risking involvement in whatever was going on up ahead, Daniel decided to take an alternate route home; one that lead him through a large field. It was covered in tall grass and wheat. Perhaps a farmer lived there. He rolled down the window, letting the cool breeze soothe his face as he casually drove through the countryside.

Suddenly, Daniel realized that the car was no longer moving. He looked at the dashboard, dismayed; there was no gas. He had no idea where the closest gas station was from here. Now he was really annoyed. Not only had he driven out here in the middle of the night, but now he would have to walk all the way home. Hopefully his house was not far from here. Daniel took the precious bottle of milk from the car and began to walk down the rocky path.

After what seemed like an eternity, he came to a stop. He could not walk any farther without resting. Daniel stood still, leaning against a fence that ran parallel to the road. He heard a bird somewhere in the distance. Maybe this wasn’t such a bad experience. However, his reflecting was abruptly brought to an end. A large hawk swooped down and grabbed the milk out of his hand. Daniel was stunned. He had no idea what just happened, or how it happened. All he knew was that he was extremely tired.

Daniel sat up in his bed. It was only a dream; nothing more. He could tell it was early in the morning; the sun had not yet risen. The breeze coming in from the window was cold. He needed to drink some milk.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Nine.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Mine is done :D
Milk

Daniel suddenly woke up. Through his tired eyes, he could tell it was very early in the morning. The open window let a cold breeze into the room. He lit a candle kept next to his bed and proceeded downstairs to find some milk. That always helped him get to sleep. The wooden stairs creaked as Daniel walked down them into the kitchen. He opened the small ice box and reached inside, pawing around for the milk bottle. Alas! there was no milk to be found. Slightly annoyed, Daniel trudged back upstairs to put on some clothes. He was going shopping.
Outside, the small car waited to be driven. Daniel opened its door and got in; unhappy to be disturbed in the middle of the night for this. The uneven road woke him up more than anything else, except perhaps worsen his mood. The miniscule convenience store was only a few miles away, thankfully. Daniel parked in a spot close to the shop, not wanting to walk very far in the cold weather.
He pushed open the door, revealing a homely little area filled with merchandise ranging from apples to playing cards. Daniel had been here often, so he knew exactly where the milk was. There was only one bottle left; he had gotten lucky tonight. After paying the cashier, he exited the building and got back into his automobile. Time to go home.
The ride home was just as uncomfortable as before. However, he quickly realized something was wrong when he saw several policemen rushing ahead of him. Instead of risking involvement in whatever was going on up ahead, Daniel decided to take an alternate route home; one that lead him through a large field. It was covered in tall grass and wheat. Perhaps a farmer lived there. He rolled down the window, letting the cool breeze soothe his face as he casually drove through the countryside.
Suddenly, Daniel realized that the car was no longer moving. He looked at the dashboard, dismayed; there was no gas. He had no idea where the closest gas station was from here. Now he was really annoyed. Not only had he driven out here in the middle of the night, but now he would have to walk all the way home. Hopefully his house was not far from here. Daniel took the precious bottle of milk from the car and began to walk down the rocky path.
After what seemed like an eternity, he came to a stop. He could not walk any farther without resting. Daniel stood still, leaning against a fence that ran parallel to the road. He heard a bird somewhere in the distance. Maybe this wasn’t such a bad experience. However, his reflecting was abruptly brought to an end. A large hawk swooped down and grabbed the milk out of his hand. Daniel was stunned. He had no idea what just happened, or how it happened. All he knew was that he was extremely tired.
Daniel sat up in his bed. It was only a dream; nothing more. He could tell it was early in the morning; the sun had not yet risen. The breeze coming in from the window was cold. He needed to drink some milk.

Wow, That was fast...
Well let's see:
The story must have a hawk at the end.
The story must involve a candle in the beginning.
During the story, a character is forced to go shopping.

I personally like the story, I find it to be short (obviously) but creative. I thought you were just going to randomly add a hawk outside his window for the story, as some cheap way to put it in there, but I am pleased how the hawk was put into the story. As it adds some humor/amusement to the stories ending. I found the details to also to be good, but the pace a little fast. (But I know your not comfortable with writing those kind of stories.) So overall I give it a 4/5.

Thanks for playing my Challenge... You are welcome to choose another box if you would like.
(I wanted to +rep you but I can't, so I will owe you it)

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score

Hey, can you organize the done list so we have an author profile. One person has a list.

esb

Reaction score
Hehe I like mine =D

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score

Hey, can you organize the done list so we have an author profile. One person has a list.

The Box 13 explodes, showing the prompt.

13. During the story, there is a visit by a very common visitor. The story must have an earth-spirit in it. The story must involve a throwing star in the beginning.

As for the profile lists, Sure no problem.

Hehe I like mine =D

:thup:

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Now, normal adult people usually don’t collect toys of destruction, nor would you expect them to keep these dangerous devices in places that a child like me could easily get to, but my dad was different. He displayed a nice exhibit of old Japanese artifacts such as katanas and – according to my mom - other metallic junk. But there was a strange weapon dad was very fanatic about. He loved his ninja throwing star.

Yeah, it’s a bit silly – I know. Yet my dad loved his throwing star. The item just seemed rather valuable to him. Priceless. That’s the word I’m looking for… Dad’s fixation wasn’t spontaneous. No. He was, is, and will ever be a smart man. He had his reasons; reasons I didn’t put into consideration when I threw that chunk of metal out the window.

This may be rather confusing to you. You may wonder why I, a young man, would throw such a precious hunk of metallic wedges. Well, I’ll tell you bluntly. I was a teenager, and I was a rock star. But my rebellious triumph ended short. No, my dad didn’t witness my rash behavior, nor did mom. Actually, I killed my best friend Megan. Yep. The flying blade soared in the unjust wind into the neck of the probable love of my life.

Of course I didn’t realize this until I stopped my ridiculously childish tantrum. Only when I went outside expecting to spend an hour feebly looking for my father’s prized possession, I saw the mess that I miserably made. She was laying on her back in a violent mass of blood and twisted body parts. There I wept bitterly. And while I sobbed a ghost appeared behind me. I’m sure you know who it was.

“Bill,” Megan said.

“Mom?!” I cried. At the time I was rather startled, so I regressed. For then I was merely a boy who felt all grown up.

“No, silly! It’s me Megan. Can’t you see?”

I could see now, but only barely. My vision was blurred from the tears.

“Megan?” I replied.

“Yes, it is she!”

She said that a lot. I loved that.

“Oh God, lay down! You’re bleeding!”

I didn’t see Megan clearly enough. She wasn’t bleeding at the time, nor was her physical body awake. Megan was a spirit now.

“Billy, I’m fine.”

“No, you’re not! Come inside!” I begged her.

She smiled at me. I could see her face wrinkle up in a cute little grimace. Never in all the world have I experienced such a feeling of sheer helplessness and woe. Every nerve in my body and every thought in my brain told me frown and be concerned, but I couldn’t stop. I laughed.

And that’s where my parents found me. In a heap of giggles. Beside me was poor Megan who looked as pale and emotionless as ever. My good parents did the responsible thing. They got up and called the police and watched me from inside.

Once the police came, I was bond up and taken away. It was as easy as that. I never talked to Megan again. Her ghost would look for me from the outside of the cell window. I think she’s afraid of the prison building. I tried to communicate with her once, but nothing came from it.

I’m now considered mentally insane. They locked me away with other rejects. We never enjoy our company. Life goes on.

Now, you may wonder how I’d conclude this story. Well, my conclusion was the last paragraph. Yes, I’m a sadist. It’s just how life is.

That was fun. I wanna do another! Give me 1 please. :D

esb

Reaction score
@Ninva:
Wow... your story was just... awesome. I didn't expect it to be that way. The beggining seemed to be leading somewhere else. I had in mind wiht the dad being materialistic, then with the twist you put, it hit me unexpectedly. It was really nice, I liked the simplicity of it, and it's greatness. Mad me feel sad Billy, yet he's not sad for himself...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.