Writing battle scenes

C-Death

I love you
Hello everyone. I haven't posted here in a while, but I'm glad to see we writers still have our own little corner. I was wondering if anyone had any tips to share about writing battle scenes? For whatever reason, even though I keep my sentences short and to the point, my scenes always feel slow.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Staff member
Different people do different kinds of writing in their own way. Me, my fight scenes are typically pretty graphic. I love the gory details. But then, I think that my own writing is sometimes too detailed just in general. Even my dialogue can go on for days :D

Post something you're working on and let others tell you what they think. I know sometimes I hate what I write and then everyone loves it. Go figure.

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
It's important to convey the emotions of whoever is fighting; the panic, the fear, the rage or hate, the thirst for blood or the confusion of the melee, whatever they're feeling you need to portray. Otherwise, the scenes tend to feel a bit empty.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Post an example of a scene. It really depends on the kind of scene it is as well. Modern war scenes, medieval battles like Helms Deep, duels, etc, all are written a lot differently.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    We did!
  • Ghan Ghan:
    The old shoutbox wasn't supported anymore. We updated xenForo, so it had to be replaced.
  • jonas jonas:
    let's see if everyone finds it... the nice thing about the shoutbox was I could check on it even while logged out, but the existence of this one is hidden when you're not logged in
  • Ghan Ghan:
    We can fix that.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Chat should show on the sidebar when not logged in now.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    (You'll still need to log in to post messages)
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Test!
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I must be in a test server.
    Nice, Twitter tweets embedding now works
  • Wizard Wizard:
    Yup.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Excellent.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    @tom_mai78101 Hello there.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Tagging works in the chat too.
    @Ghan Missed it.
  • Wizard Wizard:
    Still fixing things here and there. Added widgets to the portal, will make it match the ones here on the forum index tomorrow.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    The venerable World Editor Tutorials site has been converted to HTTPS at last.
  • jonas jonas:
    cool
  • jonas jonas:
    and I can even edit my messages, nice
  • seph ir oth seph ir oth:
    GENERAL CHIT CHAT, YOU ARE A BOLD ONE
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hello there
  • The Helper The Helper:
    this new chatbox is great and the forum software update is great too
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    upgrade has fixed forum registration spam problem
    Something tells me we might be able to customize the chatbox a bit, considering that there's a gap under every message.
  • Wizard Wizard:
    Going to deploy a fix soon, just had to take some time for myself this weekend.

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop