Writing battle scenes

C-Death

I love you
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I haven't posted here in a while, but I'm glad to see we writers still have our own little corner. I was wondering if anyone had any tips to share about writing battle scenes? For whatever reason, even though I keep my sentences short and to the point, my scenes always feel slow.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Different people do different kinds of writing in their own way. Me, my fight scenes are typically pretty graphic. I love the gory details. But then, I think that my own writing is sometimes too detailed just in general. Even my dialogue can go on for days :D

Post something you're working on and let others tell you what they think. I know sometimes I hate what I write and then everyone loves it. Go figure.

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
It's important to convey the emotions of whoever is fighting; the panic, the fear, the rage or hate, the thirst for blood or the confusion of the melee, whatever they're feeling you need to portray. Otherwise, the scenes tend to feel a bit empty.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Post an example of a scene. It really depends on the kind of scene it is as well. Modern war scenes, medieval battles like Helms Deep, duels, etc, all are written a lot differently.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.