Writing Theory

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
What is writing theory you ask? Well, it’s a line of thinking most authors (famous to poor) use to write their famous/infamous works. In this tutorial I’ll repost, find, and give you a fair amount of knowledge to help you in your literature careers.
There are many forms of writing and many terms that are used for certain forms. Expositional, explanatorily are two very basic styles that most writers use, but in most cases these two styles are combined to make a very deep and long novel.
Before we move on, let’s go deeper into these different styles.

Expositional: This is the form of writing most philosophers use to get their point across. A very famous writer by the name of Kurt Vonnegut has written many stories (Cat’s Cradle and Slaughter House Five, to name a few) with this style of writing. To master this style of writing you must write an outline (or know the whole story outside and in). This style also requires you to go back and edit your entire story so it’ll blend and go into order. Order is a key to this style of writing. Another thing to keep in mind is symbolism.

Explanatorily: This is the form of writing most women use (to be blunt). This style of writing demands for a very active imagination that will not die on you when you’re creating every action, every word, and every facial expression. This is probably the hardest form of writing there is, but it’s also very beautiful if done correctly. A good thing to keep in mind is a good plot, character, and a ton of hooks for the reader to dig into.
Another thing to keep in mind is the setting (at all times). Use each of your senses in a new setting. What do you see, hear, feel, smell, or taste? A large vocabulary of descriptive words will easily get you through this task.

Now that we know two different styles of writing we can go into the key terms that should be recognized and kept in mind each time you pull out a piece of paper and a pen. Here are a few of them:

Character: A character brings the story to life. He/she is a portal for the reader to enter. Once you’ve made a convincing character, you can create more for that character to interact with. Depending on the style of writing or theme, you must go deeper into his/her appearance or/and mental state. This requires thought and inspiration.

Conflict A conflict can be many things: nature versus humans, human versus human, humans versus humans, and the list can go on and on. A conflict is almost an necessitate for any novel. From my personal outlook, I believe that a conflict is required.

Hook: A hook is used by authors to attract their reader into their story. According to (female) teachers a good writer will use many hooks, but I believe this is not required. A very excellent writer (Kurt Vonnegut) became famous without them. Hooks should be used for those who use an explanatorily style of writing.

Plot: A plot is what happens to a character(s). There’s no helping it, a plot is necessary for all stories. 

Symbolism: Symbolic means can be hidden within actions of characters, clothing, proverbs, poems, etc. This is up to you to figure out for this is one major factor that makes a writer unique.

Theme: A theme is a phrase, a word, or a noun that the whole story/essay is surrounded by (also what the story means to us in real life). With a theme in mind you can make the impossible real. A theme does not have to be revealed directly, but can always be revealed indirectly. I'm too lazy to find some examples and point out the themes, but if you're interest you can always check out a book at a local library or ask a teacher. Both sources will get you started.
Here's one example, though. I wrote a story not too long ago.
http://ninva.deviantart.com/art/I-ve-Felt-Better-71834440
"I've felt better dead" is the theme.

Links:
Writing Tips - massinfantry

Story-Writing Guides – Fatmankev

Explanatorily Stories:

"A Short Story" / Light v.s. Dark – Fatmankev

Hellhounds – Fatmankev

The Radio Shop – Mark Saline

Expositional Stories:
Goat Sh*t – Mark Saline

The Reason – W. Brown

Great Reads:
Corruption – Seth Cross

The Silver Cross – Rachel

3878508 – Iris Shaw

Post your questions or suggestions. :)

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Pretty nice :D

I love symbolism in books, main ones are by John Steinbeck in Of Mice and Men and The Pearl.

I think you forgot Theme though.

J

jimothy

I think I remember hating Steinbeck. Haven't read any of him in a while, though.

esb

Reaction score
I liked his books, if you get the symbolic meanings of what he does there.

In Of Mice and Men the theme is loneliness.
The Pearl it can be Irony, Hope, being Humble, Religion, and others.

Themes are all different, people apply what they read to their lives, depending on their situation.

Take Little Red Riding hood. The wolf knew she was going to grandma's house and he ate grandma, and tried to eat grandma. I could translate that to the wolf is a gang, I'm visiting someone and the wolf tries to kill me. etc.

Halahan

To die will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction score
I think theme is usually the same for people but can be interpreted really however people want.
Expositional: This is the form of writing most philosophers use to get their point across. A very famous writer by the name of Kurt Vonnegut has written many stories (Cat’s Cradle and Slaughter House Five, to name a few) with this style of writing. To master this style of writing you must write an outline (or know the whole story outside and in). This style also requires you to go back and edit your entire story so it’ll blend and go into order. Order is a key to this style of writing. Another thing to keep in mind is symbolism.

Explanatorily: This is the form of writing most women use (to be blunt). This style of writing demands for a very active imagination that will not die on you when you’re creating every action, every word, and every facial expression. This is probably the hardest form of writing there is, but it’s also very beautiful if done correctly. A good thing to keep in mind is a good plot, character, and a ton of hooks for the reader to dig into.
Another thing to keep in mind is the setting (at all times). Use each of your senses in a new setting. What do you see, hear, feel, smell, or taste? A large vocabulary of descriptive words will easily get you through this task.

I read these and they never seem to say how to write them or really what makes them what they are... wondering if you forgot or meant it that way

esb

Reaction score
Expositional: EVen the smallest detail affects the story.

Example: In the book The Pearl, a character is described how he looks over two ants fighting, and how he feels like a God, being able to save, or kill either, or both ants. This could foreshadow how later on he needs help of a greedy doctor to save his son.

Explanatorily: Very descriptive, most things have a meaning, like Colors, positions, etc.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
I read these and they never seem to say how to write them or really what makes them what they are... wondering if you forgot or meant it that way

There really isn't a way to write a style. It's art, not mathematics.

Halahan

To die will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction score
Alright, sorry let me rephrase that, like... What are they?

esb

Reaction score
I think if they(literature) were to be described on a writing type, those two might be some of the categories a writing work could fall in.

I could be wrong :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.