You think this would work?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys.
I am developing games in my spare time, its fun.
And i have been thinking what i will do once i finished my game. If i should "sell" it, or upload it for free, or what.

And i came up with the following concept. I would like to get some feedback from you guys:

Everybody can download the complete free version of the game, no drm, no anything.
But, when somebody goes to the download page there will be a text saying:
"Please download this game and play it and if you enjoyed the experience and had a great time please consider paying for the game. You can pay any amount of money you deem justified.
Paying for the game will help the developement of other great games in the future.
Thanks for your support."
And at any point in time the players could click a "donate"-button and pay any amount they think would fit for the game.

If the game was really good, would you pay for it? Do you think this would work in the long run?

Because i would not like to pay for a game which i dont know anything about. If the game was bad and i paid money for it I would be pretty frustrated. But if it was genuinely great then maybe i would.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Not unless it had some level of major replayability and then your only income is going to be from a small core of fans, and then you might even be paying more for the credit card services than people have put into the system. For a first game developed in your spare time you probably would maybe make enough to pay for hosting; your best bet would to not sell it at all and create more of a project page with a donation option for people that frequent it and release a variety of applications for free long before going down the road of trying to sell a product in that fashion.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I never even thought of "starting" with this concept.
It was more a thought for much later, when the game made a name for itself, or maybe if other games have been released as well.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
Because i would not like to pay for a game which i dont know anything about. If the game was bad and i paid money for it I would be pretty frustrated. But if it was genuinely great then maybe i would.

IMO people should play games for free, then support the developer with however much they deem is deserved for it, much like the way "free" music sales work on Bandcamp. I'm totally with you on this one.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO people should play games for free, then support the developer with however much they deem is deserved for it, much like the way "free" music sales work on Bandcamp. I'm totally with you on this one.
But would you pay for it after you have already played it through? Nobody would know you played it without paying, nobody would blame you.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
But would you pay for it after you have already played it through? Nobody would know you played it without paying, nobody would blame you.
I would. It's the reason I seed all my torrents for a few months at least.

Varine

Reaction score
2D Boy did something like this with World of Goo. I don't know if they let you play the game first or if you had to pay first, as I didn't participate when they had this promotion going. But basically you had to pay SOMETHING, a minimum of one cent I think, so a lot of people put that down, but then there were also a lot of people that paid way more than the game sold for at regular price because they liked it so much. I think some people paid several hundred dollars, but I have no source for that.

What we've decided to do with AED is put out free games for the time being incorporated into a mutual network, but we're going to put ads into them (like between each level an ad will play), and you can buy it to shut it off, or we'll have micro transactions on some of them like the Facebook games. Only we're trying to make them all run with each other, so if you buy like ten dollars of credit, you can use them on anything we developed that uses transactions like that. So either way we make some money, either because you had to watch a thirty second ad, or because you paid us to shut it off.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
[...]

What we've decided to do with AED is put out free games for the time being incorporated into a mutual network, but we're going to put ads into them (like between each level an ad will play), and you can buy it to shut it off, or we'll have micro transactions on some of them like the Facebook games. Only we're trying to make them all run with each other, so if you buy like ten dollars of credit, you can use them on anything we developed that uses transactions like that. So either way we make some money, either because you had to watch a thirty second ad, or because you paid us to shut it off.
Yeah, i know thats a good and fair concept. But i hate it. I hate watching ads and i would hate to see ads in my games.
Its a really good idea though and the only reason i hate it is a personal one. There are no objective arguments i have against it.

Varine

Reaction score
Then you can pay me a few dollars and have them deactivated. We're not in this for the purpose of making art or whatever other bullshit indie devs like to throw out. We're doing what we do for money, and if it's not there, then we'll drop it and move on. Yeah it pisses people off but that's not our problem, we have costs to make up and want reimbursement for our time and effort just like everyone else. I don't even LIKE game design that much, it's just fairly easy and have low barriers of entry into a market with a lot of money circulating through it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.