Discussion You want this (NUON Official SDK, NUON schematics, NUON manuals and more)

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
You should have the link.

You are right Stephen on the thing about the Authentication Tools not being that much of a priority over like an SD Device to keep from having to burn CD Roms. I am about to readjust my priorities based on current stuff.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
I wish google would say how many times it was downloaded. They hide the stats totally.

songbird

You may change this now in User CP
Reaction score
I'd love it it we could get an SD based optical drive emulator for these machines, as well as a way of uploading code via the controller port as opposed to burning a CD-R every time. I would actually say, that is more important for now (IMHO) than getting authentication to work. If we had this, more developers could be persuaded to try stuff.
What we'd need is a boot disc that knows how to accept code downloads to DVD player RAM, then jump to the start of the code and execute. Basically a Jaguar-style BJL protocol but for NUON, probably using a USB to Firewire cable.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
What we'd need is a boot disc that knows how to accept code downloads to DVD player RAM, then jump to the start of the code and execute. Basically a Jaguar-style BJL protocol but for NUON, probably using a USB to Firewire cable.

Can we continue the discussion of this specific issue here please

Cobra!

Reaction score
Hey, I've tried to install the Linux SDK on Ubuntu 20.04, and when I try to build a project, I get this error:
Code:
merlin-local-gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `vmcpp': No such file or directory

What do I do?

Stephen

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
I've never ran linux before, only ran this on Windows. But it sounds like a path variable is not properly set. vmcpp.exe should exist in the vmlabs\bin directory.

cubanismo

Reaction score
Your best bet is to be sure you're installing to the default /usr/local path prefix suggested by the vmlabs install script. Otherwise, you'll get errors like this unless you adjust the spec files mgcc is using, because the gcc driver program won't be able to find its helper binaries, such as the C preprocessor (vmcpp).

I plan on making a script to automate that process better than the vmlabs installer script, but I haven't gotten to it yet. I've just manually modified everything to work from my particular home directory thus far.

Cobra!

Reaction score
Your best bet is to be sure you're installing to the default /usr/local path prefix suggested by the vmlabs install script. Otherwise, you'll get errors like this unless you adjust the spec files mgcc is using, because the gcc driver program won't be able to find its helper binaries, such as the C preprocessor (vmcpp).

Oh, did I have to enter it manually? That might explain some things, I’m used to a path being mentioned being the default if you type nothing and hit enter, so that’s what I did. I’ll try it again tomorrow and enter it manually.

Cobra!

Reaction score
Yeah, typed in "default", and now the samples build, and can run nuance on wine (although it's slower than native Windows). Clean even works, too!

Only gripe I have is that it doesn't produce a NUON.CD. I know I can use a .cof for nuance, but I would like to be able to burn on a CD to test on my N-501. Anything I can do to generate one on Linux?

cubanismo

Reaction score
Glad that worked. The older SDK doesn't have the CreateNuonCD tool. You'll have to do that step on Windows, or also run that tool via WINE after copying it over from the Windows SDK. I just scp the .cof to a Windows VM, ssh in, and run the tool it there.

Cobra!

Reaction score
Oh, so the Windows SDK is a later version than Linux? What differences are there apart from the NUON.CD thing?

Does there exist a standalone tool to convert existing cof files into a NUON.CD?

cubanismo

Reaction score
Yeah, it's newer. The docs are more up to date, some headers and libs have additional entries, and all the tools are one or two versions later. For example, the disassembler crashes given invalid input on Linux, but silently fails on Windows (great improvement). Most things I can't tell the difference.

My plan is to merge both, taking the newer versions where available, into one github repo you can just check out and use on either platform, but that'll be a few nights of dedicated work to set up.

CreateNuonCD.exe is the standalone tool to create a NUON.CD from a .cof file. That's what the SDK Makefiles use. Just run "CreateNuonCD cd_app.cof" and it'll output NUON.CD. Could probably be ported to Linux with enough work. It seems to perform some sort of signing similar to the DVD auth tools, so the algorithm and keys would need to be extracted.

Cobra!

Reaction score
My plan is to merge both, taking the newer versions where available, into one github repo you can just check out and use on either platform, but that'll be a few nights of dedicated work to set up.
I'm really looking forward to seeing this! Hope you'll keep us up to date!

CreateNuonCD.exe is the standalone tool to create a NUON.CD from a .cof file. That's what the SDK Makefiles use. Just run "CreateNuonCD cd_app.cof" and it'll output NUON.CD. Could probably be ported to Linux with enough work.
Where is it located? I could try and run the exe manually through wine.

Last edited:

mgarcia

Reaction score

Contents:

Official SDK
Serial adapter schematics
Composer Kit
Devkit Manual
Aries 3 schematics
Galaxy Quest Enhancements
Port Data

UPDATE: Link changed from Dragonshadow's direct URL to Google Drive

It would be really, really helpful having a link on https://www.nuon-dome.com/download.html to this post.
I spent a bit of time trying to find it again, and I knew what I was looking for! lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.