Sci/Tech Your phone is blabbing your location to anyone who will listen

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Everywhere you go, your phone is sending out signals that can be assembled to form a picture of your movements. You can't turn them off, and companies have begun to pick them up, often without any indication that they're doing so. As this trend develops, smartphones could spell the end of real-world privacy.

"It'll get worse before it gets better," mobile industry expert Chetan Sharma told NBC News. "Unless leaders step up and work on a framework that works for all consumers, it's going keep getting worse and worse until it is unbearable."

That prediction may sound grim, but alarming examples are mounting.

Unique numbers associated with our devices can be harvested and tracked

LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
Damn I'm glad I don't have a smartphone.

Everyone knows at least one person like this. It's mildly inconvenient but I'm not visiting strip clubs or pimps or anything of the sort so I've nothing embarrassing to hide.

Solu9

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Everyone knows at least one person like this. It's mildly inconvenient but I'm not visiting strip clubs or pimps or anything of the sort so I've nothing embarrassing to hide.

And everyone knows at least one person like this. With the exact same argument "I have nothing to hide".
No, neither do I. But I am not willing to give up more of my privacy just because I have nothing to hide.
It's the principle that matters. If you allow this, they will come up with something like placing cameras in your home. "Security" they will call it.
You still have nothing to hide so that's fine.
Then they will require you to have a tracking device (much like your smartphone), a collar perhaps, with a little camera. Now they can track you and see exactly what you are doing at all times.
But that's fine. You have nothing to hide.

KMilz

Reaction score
Is it better or worse that this isn't the government's doing? I'm at least as wary of the mega corporations as I am with my government, but I'm not sure which ones I'd rather have spying on me. None, of course, but that doesn't look like an option.

Solu9

Reaction score
Way to use the slippery slope logic.

It's better to anticipate and foresee than to repair.
Besides. The last months should be an indicator for this is a scaling problem.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
And everyone knows at least one person like this. With the exact same argument "I have nothing to hide".
No, neither do I. But I am not willing to give up more of my privacy just because I have nothing to hide.
It's the principle that matters. If you allow this, they will come up with something like placing cameras in your home. "Security" they will call it.
You still have nothing to hide so that's fine.
Then they will require you to have a tracking device (much like your smartphone), a collar perhaps, with a little camera. Now they can track you and see exactly what you are doing at all times.
But that's fine. You have nothing to hide.
Hahaha Damn, That's so true!

Solu9

Reaction score
you're paranoid, smoke too much weed

Again. A good point. (where is that sarcasm button..?)

I would like to see a valid point for this NOT being an issue, beside the really thin "I have nothing to hide" argument.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score

I would like to see a valid point for this NOT being an issue, beside the really thin "I have nothing to hide" argument.
The government needs all of this information to keep us safe from ourself. Without all the money that is generated by selling our personal information to corporations the government cant sustain all the security it had to buy to spy on us in the first place.
Do you want to live in a horrible post apocalyptic wasteland when everything collapses? Yes?

KMilz

Reaction score
The government needs all of this information to keep us safe from ourself. Without all the money that is generated by selling our personal information to corporations the government cant sustain all the security it had to buy to spy on us in the first place.
Do you want to live in a horrible post apocalyptic wasteland when everything collapses? Yes?

I think we all do in a way, we just want it to be in a way where it's cooler than everything is today and not full of tragedy and suffering. Not no real apocalypse or nothin'.

Zakyath

Reaction score

why don't you start with telling us why this IS an issue. there isn't much to argue against as of now.

your principles? what principles? and you can't compare a company tracking your phone with a company putting cameras in your house.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.