Strategy Zerg - 14 gas, 14 pool

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Build Type: Safest Zerg Expansion Opening
Skill level: Easy
Build Pro’s: Aggressive opening, safe from most rushes, can easily transition into an aggressive roach/zergling/baneling, zergling/baneling, or roach/zergling push; easy to tech to tier 2 due to the early gas. Safest opening that zerg has, it is thought to auto-block virtually all types of early aggression.
Build countered by: There is no true hard counter to this build since you can easily organize an attack with it, but some macro openings such as 16 supply nexus or 1 barracks Command Center will set you behind in the macro game if you don’t pressure. In ZvZ it is weak against a 6-8 pool
Most powerful in(league): Any
Mach up: ZvP, ZvT

Foreword
This build is extremely easy to pull off, effective, but not too much macro orientated

Basic BO:
• 14 gas
• 14 pool
• 14 scouting drone
• 16 overlord
• pull drones off gas when you have 100
• Make a queen, metabolic boost, and 2-6 lings when your pool is done
• Expand at 20-21 supply
• Make a second queen and 1 more overlord. then return the drones on gas
Consider getting a third queen just for faster creep spread
What you do from here is your call

Tips:
• You need just 100 gas, you don’t need any more so for the time being. You need to use the extra drones to get ~300 more minerals than you wouldn't have if you didn’t pull them off gas
• Once you are on 2 bases you don’t really need 2 queens as soon as possible. Why? You don’t have the income to use more than 10 larva per minute. You get 3 larva from your Hatch every 45 seconds and 4 more from the inject (note: when larva is more than 3, only inject will increase it, so you'd better use all of it, instead of wasting it by not being able to support it) The second queen comes at the right time.
• The lings are 2 for the watch towers and 2-4 to put pressure on him. 2 lings are more than enough, but if he is protoss, with 4 you can put a good amount of pressure on his wall in, since he won’t have a stalker yet.
• Speed will come at a decent time so you are safe from all rushes. You don’t need to fear any pylon blocks since your lings will clear it in a second.

Example Follow ups:
• You can really easy go 2 base mutalisk from here, you already have zergling speed
• You can go zergling/mutalisk/baneling
• You can make a mid game tier-1-units-push
• You can utilize drops too
• or go for zergling-infestors
• or roach-infestors (zvz)
• One thing you shouldn't go is zergling-hydralisk

Final word DarkForce and mOOnGladE have this as a standard opener, along with every aggressive zerg out there. This BO is extremely potent. The only downside is that it isn’t as macro orientated as builds such as the 14 hatchery.

Here are a few screenshots:
• ~3:11 starting metabolic boost and the first queen

371437ab631b279a.jpg

• Clearing out the probe/scv with the 2 zerglings and getting the expansion ~4:11

0d382300d5379547.jpg

I think that the formating is better, however it might need some more improvements. Thoughts ? :]

Whitesock

Graphics Help Zone Moderator
Reaction score
This is also considered a very safe opening against virtually all forms of early aggression (excluding like a 6-10 pool of course). You might want to add that in.

For formatting, try to vary font sizes for such things as headers. It'll make your tutorial have more obvious sections which will help guide a newbie's eyes.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
>This is also considered a very safe opening against virtually all forms of early aggression (excluding like a 6-10 pool of course). You might want to add that in.

Added. Thanks for reminding me to add it. It is soo obvious for me I didn't really consider a need to add it lol.

>For formatting, try to vary font sizes for such things as headers. It'll make your tutorial have more obvious sections which will help guide a newbie's eyes.

Will do but tomorrow, now it is time for me to go to sleep. :]

I am planning to realease 2 tutorials tommorow, both of which are very fun to execute (one of them is really hard though, hell, I have trouble executing it at times (not that I am that good, but still))

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can it resist a 6-pool in Zerg ditto?

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Well...

1 If your micro is good enough you can stop 6 pool only with workers. A friend of mine (season 1 top 50 in europe) is a protoss player who used to stream a lot. When he got s pooled, he abused the "worker ghost bug" and that way backed up.

his real apm (not the spam) is over 200 though...

that being said, unless you micro good, no this build isn't safe from a 6 pool. I will edit the tut ^_^

Edit: it is edited, I added a 6-8 pool in the weakness section. :]

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Added screenshots, tweaked a few things, added a bit of extra info.

Edit:
I know that the list of follow ups, may not be clear to everyone, that is why I will make tutorials that cover different styles of play, for example ling-bling-muta or MMM or roach hydra. When I have made them, I will turn the list into links leading to them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.