[Zerg] Help against Stalkers & Colossi?

LurkerAspect

Now officially a Super Lurker
Reaction score
Hi there :D

I'm new to sc2 but not to the franchise, but I've been having problems playing as zerg when faced with an opponent who decides to camp, block off his ramp and go stalkers and colossi. In a recent game, the tables were turned and I was the one who ended up blocked in my own base. As soon as the opponent gets colossi, that's it for me and nothing I try works. And this isn't just once or twice, it's everytime I play a toss who uses this strategy.

Any help or advice?

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
i'd suggest Corruptors, which deal bonus to Massive units, and Collosi can be hit by Air units due to its size.
For the stalkers, zerglings or roach perhaps? Im not a zerg player much, but anything that counters stalkers really, maybe even hydralisks.

But aye, defintely Corruptors for Collosi.

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Corrupters would be good, since you can deal 25% more damage and hit colossi, also, maybe a replay?

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
Mutalisks,Banelings and Zerglings would work better IMO. Have you seen a mutalisk mass pwn the crap out a Stalker Colossi force? Unless the Stalkers outnumber the mutalisks their not doing any significant damage to your mutas..If they do then i'm pretty sure he's going to have less colossi to deal with your Zergling/Banelings which also eat stalkers for breakfast. ;)

Oninuva

Reaction score
A stalker costs less than a muta..

Muta = 300
Stalker = 225

So for every 2 muta, theres around 3 stalkers if you had the same money.

Mass muta is an option but not a very effective one, the most effective counter would be ultralisks/speedling but ultras are real late game tech. Another way would by hydra & corrupter which being corrupter the hard counter to colossi and hydras tear up stalkers but it really depends on positioning and avoiding the AoE, try to spread the units as much and hope you win. Other than that, the best way to do it is ultralisk / speedling as they will tear up stalker/colossi.

Oninuva

Reaction score
Oh, don't forget to Contaminate on the colossi. GL =]

BANANAMAN

Reaction score
True that while the Stalkers cost less than Mutalisks bear in mind that you can't use the same minerals/gas you used to make the stalker for making a colossi. It's all about how each unit complements each other in the combination.One advantage of Zerg players is that once they have a good control of the map it would be difficult to swing the battle back to the enemy's favor as long as the Zerg player never stops attacking and harassing along with maintaining his economic advantage from any raids the protoss might attempt.

Sure he has a lot of Stalkers for anti mutalisk but the few Colossi he could field won't stop a veritable Zergling/Baneling carpet from wiping the Stalkers from existence Since stalkers aren't designed for dealing with that amount of zerglings.Or to up the DPS make it Hydra/Baneling/Muta since Hydras have a higher DPS than ever before.Sentries may make things difficult but you have the advantage of speed over this protoss unit combo.

Remember Colossi move slow and may be left behind when that army pushes forward. With Zerglings/Banelings and Mutalisks you have the map control as long as you posses a sizable amount of mutalisks,Zerglings and Banelings along with speed upgrades for both Zerglings and Banelings.

Also try following the 1 queen per hatch/base rule it would greatly speed up your production and creep spreading.

LurkerAspect

Now officially a Super Lurker
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input :D after watching the replay of the game, I can see how I messed up and he was able to completely outproduce me. Basically I thought he had blocked off his ramp and so I didn't put any pressure on him, which being zerg was actually a huge mistake. The protoss was able to keep me in my base, gain map control, and outproduce me with stalkers and colossi.

Basically last night I was in a bad mental state and screwed up epically :p I've learnt now how to predict what strategy my protoss opponent is going for, and that if I get in that situtation again, I know it's a result of my laziness! Now I put more priority on making zerglings in my early BO to counter early zealots.

But a quick afterthought, in my situation I had two infestors with full energy, but no neural parasite. If I'd parasited the colossi, would that have been effective at all?

Oninuva

Reaction score
Yes it will be effective... just make sure because it's only 15 seconds..

BANANAMAN

Reaction score
Fungal growth also works wonders too. best damn offensive spell the zerg ever had since plague.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Muthas and COrruptors. later the corruptors will be broodlords. Fast expand to have the extra larva and creep tumors (you will most likely need lings anyway). IF you feel like fucking with his economy either make (my style) nydus network + a few wormies(one outside his base, one inside and make a baneling massacre on his economy (note RISKY AS HELL) or make an overlord baneling drop. (not nearly as risky and even more effective. The second nydus worm will help you crap out your lings the second you have destroyed his barrier.

Basically, a lot of muthas can't be countered with stalkers. You need phoenixes (gosh I hope I spelled that correctly) and broodlords destroy everything that is on ground... with a delay in the movement speed.

so, once you have done that, make lings and use the nydus wurm (if you haven't covered the entire map in creep that is) to get your crack-heads (yes, you need both upgrades) to finish the job. The good thing about this strategy is that protoss, if are not prepearing for an air warfare, aren't too efective against it. The bad thing is that the phoenixes can hurth you in more then one ways if the protoss catches up to you and starts to mass them.

So, to sum it all up- if you see collosi, go AIR. If you see him changing, make lings, but use them after the last collosi is out of the game.

oh and Neural parasite is your friend :)

BANANAMAN

Reaction score
IMO Phoenix sucks balls against mutas. It's like all their air except the Carrier can't deal with groups of mutalisks in large numbers.If he does go air heavy go Hydra/Muta with some corruptors for the Odd Carrier.

I can guarantee you that the Hydralisks and Mutalisks will shred any aerial opposition he would field.Throw in some Zerglings and Ultralisks and you've basically won the game vs Toss. ;)

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Easier said than done, but that is how you get immortal with zerg :d

EDIT: By more than one ways, I mean that they can lift your army and beat the shit out of it. Or have unprotected sex with your economy. Both are fatal if u are zerg... or any race for that matter.

BANANAMAN

Reaction score
When you tell your Phoenix to graviton beam it renders it imobile and unable to attack.

Mutalisks are fast. As in They are FAST.They can match the hellion in terms of speed and can only be out run by Zerglings on creep. So yeah Mutalisks

Source:Liquipedia II

While not matching the air dominance of the Corsair from Brood War, the Phoenix can be useful in repelling enemy Mutalisks thanks to their attack bonus against Light units. If the Protoss player detects the Zerg's intention to build Mutalisks early enough, a handful of Phoenixes can be helpful in stopping the first couple of waves. Beyond this though, the Phoenix can be used to kill the Zerg Queen by using its Graviton Beam to lift the Queen into the air, and having its fellow Phoenixes snipe the Queen. This was seen in Blizzard's third battle report on the map Scrap Station.

The Phoenix is mildly viable against Zerg, but Void Rays tend to be preferred. Phoenixes can be used to emulate a Sair/DT type strategy, but due to decreased gas intake this is not very strong. Void Rays also boast considerable firepower and are able to take out Hatcheries whereas Phoenixes are only able to pick off Queens and Drones once there is a small fleet around. Generally, they are an inferior choice to Void Ray.

Basically if the Phoenixes are facing 9 mutalisks along with their numbers being [X => 9] is >Y

with X being the number of mutas and Y being the Number of Phoenixes present.

I rarely see Phoenixes in ZvP now because mutalisks when in huge numbers simply tear through void rays and Phoenixes and that's without Hydralisk support.

Also Zerglings are there because they don't trigger the immortal's hardened shields. :D

Basically if the Banelings,Mutalisks and the Zerglings reach the Stalker/Zealot/Sentry/Colossi ball and they are more of them than the units present in the protoss side they're dead.

The only real problem would be the sentry fields that he puts up which completely negates your advantage when fighting in a tight space.Which is why this Unit combo is best in maps with a lot of open spaces for maneuvering.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.