Sci/Tech 100GBs Connection Called "Light Peak"

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
The speed that computer can send data to other devices is very important. Each year, software and backups for many consumers and businesses grow in size and the huge amount of HD media consumed expands as well. With the increased file sizes being streamed to external devices and sent to external storage, faster connectivity options are needed.

The first step in faster communications between a computer and external devices is USB 3.0. This faster port is still not widespread in machines today because there are no motherboard chipsets with USB 3.0 integrated – motherboards that do support 3.0 use costly add-in chips. There are a number of add-in cards and adapters available that let manufacturers and end-users utilize USB 3.0 though.

Intel is already looking past USB 3.0 to an even faster method of transferring data and to and from a computer that uses optical signals called Light Peak. These optical cables will at first be used side-by-side in machines with USB 3.0, though Intel does believe Light Peak is the logical successor to USB 3.0.

More

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
Does this mean that in the future if this Picks up, its possible that it might not only replace usb, but also SATA , and your montier to your computer?

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
So, how do I play a game that runs at 200 FPS? Everything's too fast...:(

Myzteryz

It only does everything.
Reaction score
^ That is not how it works.. And at 200FPS, things would be happening considerably slow.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Not really detailed, more like fluid.

Redundant frames are still considered, Tom.

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
Quantum cables will probably be next.

ummm.... what?
Couldn't we just use quantum entanglement and drop the cables?
I don't know much about quantum computing, so I don't really know, but according to what I remember...

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.