9700 pro - Who made this card?

MnkyOf[-]ate

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Heres the scoop...

I bought a Radeon 9700 Pro off of ebay (it was SUPPOSED to be built by ATI but im beginning to have doubts)

Im starting to have problems with the tv output (see other post)

Normally video cards have an FCC ID, serials number and part numbers but this card only has one sticker on it. Below I typed up everything exactly as it appeared on the sticker (with exceptions to the barcode):

ATI 9700 pro 128MB DDR 8x
(||||| barcode |||||||)
SD/LR2004110300004
warranty void if removed

the card came packaged in a yellow box "GOLD 3D GRAPHICS" with badges printed on it "powered by ATI" "Nvidia geforce4 MX" and "SiS"

it came with a DVI-VGA adapter, a cd-rom, and a S-Video - composite adapter. (the card was in the box and everything else was packaged in a ziplock bag seperate from the box)

The card uses hynix memory chips, and the stock clocks are 324 Engine / 290.25 Memory.

9700info.jpg

all help is appreciated

Logical_1

Advisor
Reaction score
Well since one of the screenshots specifically says that the card manufacturer is ATI, I'd lean toward them being the ones that made it since any other vendors I've seen would have their name listed instead of ATI's if they built the card.

MnkyOf[-]ate

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
I thought the same, but the ATI card have PN #'s beginning with 102, and the BIOS P/N is unidentified which indicates it isnt an ati card.

http://mirror.ati.com/support/identify/index.html

Also, I checked out the driver CD that came with the card and on the CD it says "Powered by ATI" but there is no mention of the company that made it on the cd or within it..

I just find it strange that this card can't be ID'd

also, i found the PCB version:
PN: 109-94200-30

Because this card doesnt have serial numbers that match "built by ati" standards I am unable to obtain warranty service from ATI.

but if i can figure out who made this card... i can return it for a now one under warranty.

MnkyOf[-]ate

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
yes, that looks identical to my card.

except the clock speeds mentioned are 325/310 MHz
and mine run at 325/290.25

my card has hynix memory chips as well.

the sticker on the fan is different and the capacitors grouped where the fasn plugs in are different, the ones in the image have plastic on them mine do not.

vImage022.jpg
vImage023.jpg
vImage024.jpg
vImage025.jpg
vImage027.jpg
vImage028.jpg
vImage029.jpg
vImage030.jpg
vImage031.jpg
vImage032.jpg

MnkyOf[-]ate

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Sorry for the double post but it wont elt me enter more text otherwise it complains about too many images..

if you need me to zoom in on a specific area of the card I can do that as well.

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
If you have a generic card with an ATI chipset, it will use an ATI driver.

If you use an ATI driver, it will always display the ATI logo and information, as shown in those screen shots.

For example, I have an XTACY card with geforece chipset. I use the NVidia detonator drivers. My screens have Geforce and NVIDIA logos all over it, yet I know its generic XTACY.

I would say its made by whatever box it came in, then in the fine white print on the sides of the box should tell you the real manufacturer.
Originally posted by MnkyOf[-]ate
the card came packaged in a yellow box "GOLD 3D GRAPHICS" with badges printed on it "powered by ATI" "Nvidia geforce4 MX" and "SiS"
This means its a generic box, in which they ship generics of ATI, NVIDIA, and SIS. So they can ship any of the three using the same box, get it?

BROWN box often means they buy it in bulk. You know, where you don't get an OEM box. They get discounts for buying a box of 10, all of which come in brown, plain boxes. In this case, you MUST check the board to insure they are not ripping you off.

(I hang out at russian driven computer shows all the time, I know heh heh)

I'd say theres nothing bad about your card. its like buying an ECS board, which is generic for INTEL boards.

If you got it on ebay, exactly WHAT was shown in the picture? If it didn't have a picture of a sealed, ATI box, then I wouldn't bid if you want OEM quality.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • WildTurkey WildTurkey:
    is there a stephen green in the house?
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up WildTurkey?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Looks like Google fixed whatever mistake that made the recipes on the site go crazy and we are no longer trending towards a recipe site lol - I don't care though because it motivated me to spend alot of time on the site improving it and at least now the content people are looking at is not stupid and embarrassing like it was when I first got back into this like 5 years ago.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Plus - I have a pretty bad ass recipe collection now! That section of the site is 10 thousand times better than it was before
  • The Helper The Helper:
    We now have a web designer at my job. A legit talented professional! I am going to get him to redesign the site theme. It is time.
  • Varine Varine:
    I got one more day of community service and then I'm free from this nonsense! I polished a cop car today for a funeral or something I guess
  • Varine Varine:
    They also were digging threw old shit at the sheriff's office and I tried to get them to give me the old electronic stuff, but they said no. They can't give it to people because they might use it to impersonate a cop or break into their network or some shit? idk but it was a shame to see them take a whole bunch of radios and shit to get shredded and landfilled
  • The Helper The Helper:
    whatever at least you are free
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.