Asus EeePC 2G, how to free disk space?

BoobiesTrap

Reaction score
Dear All,

I have the 2G EeePC, with only 2Gb disk space. I install nothing fancy, just good old XP, AVG anti virus, and some drivers needed by the laptop.

At the beginning, all of those "just" cost me over 1.5Gb disk space. Then it grew up everyday. And now I have less than 50Mb, and it was after I did disk cleanup.

I don't get it :banghead:. I didn't install anything new, but the disk space is keep on running out on me. Everyday I have to clear up something (using disk cleanup from XP). Sometimes,when I'm lucky, I can get over 150Mb (or over 200Mb when I'm really-really lucky). Then I went on surfing the net. Then the next day I get low disk spacenotification. Today is worst. I only got 10Mb free space.

You guys got any idea how to free up some space? Or permanently solve my problem is even better. FYI, I have disabled the system volume information.

Thanks, you all. +rep :thup: for the ones that help.

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
Did you verify what directories eat up all that disk space? You can use a fancy tool like WinDirStat if you need some visual help.

BoobiesTrap

Reaction score
The XP itself took 1.39Gb. Then 10Mb here and 5Mb there, don't know which ones are safe to delete. The common files (speech engine, microsoft shared, system; is it okay to loose them?) used up 109Mb.
Is it normal for almost empty XP to use 1.39Gb?

ps: I use 8Gb SDHC on the card reader and I sort of put it there permanently as additional disk, where I install Ms Office, quicktime player, DivX player, winamp, and 2 gamehouse games, and a few Kb database.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
You might want to nLite your XP before installing next time, if you haven't already. Plenty of junk you probably don't need.
As for your current state - try CCleaner.

Wargasm

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
swap file is prolly killing you .

Nlite is indeed a good suggestion

or put the swap file on the 8gb card

BoobiesTrap

Reaction score
I found where an what ate up my disk space. It was:
Windows>SoftwareDistribution>Download
I cleared them and gain almost 400Mb.
I suppose when I going internet, those files sneak in without any notofication (Funny, coz I never install/copy them).
I guess I have to clear them every now and then to keep my space.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.