Sci/Tech Breakthrough Material Creates Hydrogen, Heat When Exposed To Water

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
At last, little chunks of aluminum everywhere can be something greater then a soda can or a baseball bat. Thanks to a special reactive alloy, some of those lucky little nuggets could solve the world’s energy crisis.

Jerry Woodall, an engineer at Purdue University, has created an aluminum alloy that reacts with water to create hydrogen and heat. He is encouraging venture capitalists to design a system that uses both — capturing the hydrogen as fuel and using the heat to pull clean water out of the air. The greatest benefit of using aluminum is its abundance.

"There is enough aluminum on the Earth’s crust to supply the whole world’s energy needs," Woodall told InnovationNewsDaily.

To make use of this aluminum, Woodall melts it and combines it with gallium, indium and tin. In room temperature, these last three ingredients coarse through the metal as a liquid dissolving the grains of aluminum around it. In this state, water can react freely with all the material. As pellets of the alloy drop into water, they spontaneously split the water into heat and hydrogen. The hydrogen can then be used to power devices, or it could feed into a fuel cell to produce electricity.

Just 2.2 pounds (one kilogram) of the aluminum alloy provides 12.9 kilowatt hours of energy when exposed to water. This compares favorably to coal, which yields only 6.7 kilowatt hours.

Link

--------------------------------------------------------------------

This is awesome!

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
Just 2.2 pounds (one kilogram) of the aluminum alloy provides 12.9 kilowatt hours of energy when exposed to water.
And you need ~15 kilowatt-hours of energy to produce one kilogram of aluminum. You can recycle it, but then you lose some of the aluminum in the process alternatively needs to deal with some nasty waste materials. That the aluminum needs to be mixed with some other materials doesn't make the situation much better.

Cool, yes. Solution to the energy crisis, yeah right. Bribe some politicians instead if you want a solution.

UnknowVector

I come from the net ... My format, Vector.
Reaction score
Badly written article. This _cannot_ be used as a net source of energy.

Any reaction you make between those metals (some of which are QUITE valuable all on their own (sorry, gallium price is kinda old.) (
1 troy ounce = 31.1034768 grams (thank you Google))) and water, will have to be reversed, taking the same amount of energy it released, in order to "recycle" this stuff.

As phyrex1an said, getting at raw aluminum is not cheap either. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium#Production_and_refinement

Also, the article misrepresents things in the "split the water into heat and hydrogen" sentence. The decomposition of water is an endothermic reaction, hence why fuel cells do any good in the first place, because the inverse reaction going from diatomic hydrogen and oxygen back to water is exothermic. Hence also the Hindenburg. Any extra heat produced will be from oxidizing the metals.

Better written article: http://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/research/2010/101007WoodallBoats.html

Sounds like they think it would be a good replacement for hydrogen fuel cells on boats, since it's easier to carry the aluminum alloy than a bunch of hydrogen. Land based energy source + used aluminum alloy -> aluminum alloy -> ship -> used aluminum alloy -> hydrogen gas for the actual combustion reaction -> ship moves. Probably safer too.

Need stuff, thanks for bringing it up Prometheus :). The world can always use more efficient ways to store excess energy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.