World Canada Gov't scraps penny, a 'currency without currency'

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
OTTAWA — It's the end of the line for Canada's humble penny.

The government has decided our lowest denomination coin is more trouble than it's worth, so the Royal Canadian Mint will stop distributing the penny this fall.

"It's a currency without currency," Finance Minister Jim Flaherty said Thursday.

In his budget speech, he said the only surprise is that the penny survived for so long.

"Pennies take up too much space on our dressers at home. They take up far too much time for small businesses trying to grow and create jobs," he said in prepared remarks.

"It costs taxpayers a penny-and-a-half every time we make one. We will, therefore, stop making them."

Cash transactions will soon be rounded to the nearest five-cent increment. So if a coffee costs $1.27, it will be rounded down to $1.25. If it's $1.28, the final cost will be bumped up to $1.30.

Read more here.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Probably a pretty smart move, isn't it?

it's about time it happened, and I can't wait for it to happen in the U.S. either - I can't even put pennies in parking meters because they won't accept them!

back when the penny was created, it actually had value, i.e. people worked a lot for a penny, now it takes less than 2 seconds worth of work - which is more work then what it takes to dig a penny out of a coin purse (3600 seconds in an hour divided by $20.90, average U.S. hourly wage = 1.72 seconds of work)

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
Good news I guess.

"It costs taxpayers a penny-and-a-half every time we make one. We will, therefore, stop making them."
This comparison makes no sense.
The government doesn't create pennies so it can spend them, it creates them so there is a currency that can be traded hundreds of times.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
I use pennies for Penny Wars to win competitions for class, :)

But besides that..

Slayer4000X2008

That guy from Canada
Reaction score
What do I do with all my pennies now. I have like 13 years worth in my old piggy bank (all pennies I made sure of it).

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as i understood they just stop producing them, i guess you can still use them to pay something with.

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
And kudos to those who keep pennies as keepsakes :D
1) At first, it'll be cool to keep pennies.
2) Then, people will start to lose them.
3) Years later, some will find their lost pennies and a temporary excitement will ensue.
4) Wait another few months, go to step one.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
What do I do with all my pennies now. I have like 13 years worth in my old piggy bank (all pennies I made sure of it).

Keep them until you're old and crusty. Imagine, Pennies will be lost or destroyed over time. Eventually, they won't be common and will actually be rare coins to be collected, since they're not manufactured anymore.

Imagine selling a penny for a dollar amount.

We do live in a crazy world, my friends. Insanity.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • WildTurkey WildTurkey:
    is there a stephen green in the house?
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up WildTurkey?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Looks like Google fixed whatever mistake that made the recipes on the site go crazy and we are no longer trending towards a recipe site lol - I don't care though because it motivated me to spend alot of time on the site improving it and at least now the content people are looking at is not stupid and embarrassing like it was when I first got back into this like 5 years ago.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Plus - I have a pretty bad ass recipe collection now! That section of the site is 10 thousand times better than it was before
  • The Helper The Helper:
    We now have a web designer at my job. A legit talented professional! I am going to get him to redesign the site theme. It is time.
  • Varine Varine:
    I got one more day of community service and then I'm free from this nonsense! I polished a cop car today for a funeral or something I guess
  • Varine Varine:
    They also were digging threw old shit at the sheriff's office and I tried to get them to give me the old electronic stuff, but they said no. They can't give it to people because they might use it to impersonate a cop or break into their network or some shit? idk but it was a shame to see them take a whole bunch of radios and shit to get shredded and landfilled
  • The Helper The Helper:
    whatever at least you are free
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.