News Caution: Some soft drinks may seriously harm your health

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
A new health scare erupted over soft drinks last night amid evidence they may cause serious cell damage. Research from a British university suggests a common preservative found in drinks such as Fanta and Pepsi Max has the ability to switch off vital parts of DNA.

The problem - more usually associated with ageing and alcohol abuse - can eventually lead to cirrhosis of the liver and degenerative diseases such as Parkinson's.

The findings could have serious consequences for the hundreds of millions of people worldwide who consume fizzy drinks. They will also intensify the controversy about food additives, which have been linked to hyperactivity in children.

Concerns centre on the safety of E211, known as sodium benzoate, a preservative used for decades by the £74bn global carbonated drinks industry. Sodium benzoate derives from benzoic acid. It occurs naturally in berries, but is used in large quantities to prevent mould in soft drinks such as Sprite, Oasis and Dr Pepper. It is also added to pickles and sauces.

Last edited:

Akatsuki

Reaction score
Good thing I don't drink soda. I'm cheap so I buy water and juice. A true dangerman. But when I do drink it. It will never will me. The only way I'll die is when someone kills me. Better make the most out of the next 5 days.

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
Does this also aplies to COKE? (not the drug kind)

Cuz i just drank 1.5 liters of it.....................................(it was a dare)

Duwenbasden

Ver 6 CREATE energy AS SELECT * FROM u.energy
Reaction score
It is like saying "Cheesecake is fatty!"... Unless you eat tons of them, you aren't getting fat.

This also apply -- I drink pop once or twice per week (1 can). Unless you drink like a liter per day, it won't have any effect. If you do drink that much, other stuff will get to you first before this happens.

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
Hahaha, I don't drink soft drinks. :p

turok255

Reaction score
OMG WERE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
lol, Don't they realize theres alot of things that kill people?, I don't think theres many "deaths" from to much orange soda...

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Heh, I drink way too much soda. I have a caffeine addiction, my body has to have it. :p

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
I drink soda more than anything. Sometimes ALL I drink is soda for a week o_O For awhile, I went on a no-soda diet-thing and I did feel better after the first few weeks of suddenly being tired every freakin' minute of the day, so ... Maybe I should try that again o_O

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.