Custom Spell Help

CrazyCon

Reaction score
Hiya, I understand how custom spells are based upon triggers and whatnot, but I don't understand how you make the actual spell. I know how you can make a trigger so that when the spell is used, the Action happens, but how do I make the actual spell? In games like HLW, I see that the ability has it's own icon and stuff. I don't know how to do this.

Can somebody help me to understand how to make a custom ability?

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
You start by creating the spell.
For example, you want to create a modified Storm Bolt ability, start by copying and pasting the Storm Bolt in the Object Editor (F6). Then start changing the field values; names, damage, cooldown, mana cost, tooltips, etc.
When your custom ability looks the way you want it to, you can add it to your Hero's ability list.

Finally you create a trigger that adds the special effects and whatnot.
You can, for example, create a dummy unit that casts Storm Bolts on all nearby heroes (stunning several targets at once.)

CrazyCon

Reaction score

So what I do is I Copy/Paste a spell into Object Editor? It sounds to me like I just do this, modify the spell, and then I add it. Is that how it's done? It's jsut a little bit confusing to me. How do I copy the spell into Object Editor??

And thank you! :D

CrazyCon

Reaction score
Well Skippy. . that was absolutely zero help. ^^

I've tried watching a lot of YouTube videos, but they all just click on the Abilities Tab right above the stuff in <Object Editor> but I DONT HAVE THAT?? I just have the Craete Custom Unit and stuff, I don't have those tabs that say Abilites - Buff / Spells - and all that extra stuff. IS it because I have a Mac- or because I don't have Frozen Throne or something?

AoW_Hun7312

I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Reaction score
Well Skippy. . that was absolutely zero help. ^^

I've tried watching a lot of YouTube videos, but they all just click on the Abilities Tab right above the stuff in <Object Editor> but I DONT HAVE THAT?? I just have the Craete Custom Unit and stuff, I don't have those tabs that say Abilites - Buff / Spells - and all that extra stuff. IS it because I have a Mac- or because I don't have Frozen Throne or something?

It's because you don't have Frozen Throne. Reign of Chaos doesn't have custom abilities or buffs, and is also limited to trigger functions. Consider getting the expansion. :thup:

CrazyCon

Reaction score
Wow that sucks. . . rofl. So, if I want to do any custom abilities and stuff, I need Frozen Throne? gar. . . well thanks. I'll consider getting it. I'm not really that big on World Editor, I'm just a noob who had an idea for a map. I am getting by okay with just using regular abilities and stuff.

If you want to really help me a lot- please answer my Script Error thread. I don't know what happened. I would hate to have to redo all those dumb triggers. :p

Exide

Reaction score
Wow that sucks. . . rofl. So, if I want to do any custom abilities and stuff, I need Frozen Throne? gar. . . well thanks. I'll consider getting it. I'm not really that big on World Editor, I'm just a noob who had an idea for a map. I am getting by okay with just using regular abilities and stuff.

If you want to really help me a lot- please answer my Script Error thread. I don't know what happened. I would hate to have to redo all those dumb triggers. :p

Yea, I assumed everyone here has TFT by now. :p
Map making with RoC is so bad in comparison that you don't even know it, until you tried TFT.

It is possible to create custom spells etc, but it takes so much time and effort and rarely works. (Search for 'custom ability reign of chaos' and you'll find a Tutorial.)

If you're planning on making a map, I highly recommend you getting TFT. Especially because we can't give you any help around here, if you don't have TFT.
It's not very expensive, and well worth it.

CrazyCon

Reaction score
Well I've been trying to find some RoC Custom Spell videos and stuff on the internet, but I can't find any. If you find one, could you kindly post it as a link? Or perhaps you could tell me how if you know? THank you. :)

Exide

Reaction score
Well I've been trying to find some RoC Custom Spell videos and stuff on the internet, but I can't find any. If you find one, could you kindly post it as a link? Or perhaps you could tell me how if you know? THank you. :)

A video how to make one? Or a video that displays someone playing RoC, using a custom spell?

If 1:
Tutorial

Else:
Get Dota. (Or Hero Line Wars.)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.