UK News English 'pull own teeth' as dental service decays

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Falling numbers of state dentists in England has led to some people taking extreme measures, including extracting their own teeth, according to a new study released Monday.

Others have used superglue to stick crowns back on, rather than stumping up for private treatment, said the study. One person spoke of carrying out 14 separate extractions on himself with pliers.

More typically, a lack of publicly-funded dentists means that growing numbers go private: 78 percent of private patients said they were there because they could not find a National Health Service (NHS) dentist, and only 15 percent because of better treatment.

"This is an uncomfortable read for all of us, and poses serious questions to politicians from patients," said Sharon Grant of the Commission for Patient and Public Involvement in Health.

Last edited:

Jackal

You can change this now in User CP... or Die Tryin
Reaction score
We do that because of stupid private dentists who can't do their job right and charge too much.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Or because we can't find a dentist.
I consider myself lucky that I have a good NHS dentist.
But even though it's a state dentist, it still charges for treatment... But I guess we should be thankful they aren't in the same sorrowful state as our hospitals. 90 people dead from C.Diff in one hospital... terrible.

Jackal

You can change this now in User CP... or Die Tryin
Reaction score
Or because we can't find a dentist.
I consider myself lucky that I have a good NHS dentist.
But even though it's a state dentist, it still charges for treatment... But I guess we should be thankful they aren't in the same sorrowful state as our hospitals. 90 people dead from C.Diff in one hospital... terrible.

The hospitals are better than our dentists, its just that particular hospital sucks. If you disagree with the previous sentence, argue with my Grandad. He's been in and out all for different reasons 5 times in a few months.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Ok, I guess it's hard to base it on just your local Hospital or what you see in the news.

But seriously, Bradford Royal Infirmary is not a bad hospital - it's just the people that tend to fill it up.

Our dentist is very good though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.