Weird Extremely Rare Bird Photographed for First Time - Then Eaten

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
A species of bird so rare it was thought perhaps to be extinct was captured on video and still images in the Phillipines province of Nueva Vizcaya… right before it was cooked and eaten.

The Worcester’s buttonquail (Turnix worcesteri) lives only in the Phillipines, but had not been seen in many years, and was previously only known through illustration based on dead specimens collected centuries ago. One wild live buttonquail was inadvertently filmed in a mountainous area during the making of a documentary on the traditional methods of bird-trapping in northern Luzon. But neither the local crew nor the bird-trappers at the time of the filming understood how rare the bird was, so it was sold at a poultry market, then cooked and eaten.

Last edited:

jonadrian619

-___-
Reaction score
Nueva Vizcaya is just around 15 kilometers south of where I live, 2 provinces away. I've never seen that bird before, though it looks beautiful.. Too bad it was killed unknowingly by the trappers...:(

Still, we Filipinos are desperate for food because of the economic crisis, any animal can be made palatable (even dogs, I find the dog meat 'weird-tasting'). The poverty obscured the ecological value of the bird to us and the natives simply boiled it down and put it right to the market.

They sold it for only P10, that's just about the same price as of our conventional snacks (fries, fishballs, chips, etc.). Cheap!!

-- Umaku iku yō ni -|- jonadrian619 --​

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Woah.... well... I don't blame them. THey didn't knew. Well, look on the good side: there must be more of these critters, they are not enstinct. And people (hopefully) won't eat them. Pretty sick though :D:D

Jolly chap*

Reaction score
Don't bash up your country like that. >_< Well, if there's one, there's more, I guess. How else could it have survived until now? :D

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Because we have a lot of ignorant people...

I don't think that this applies to a specific county, all people a ignorant more or less:p
And just beacuse people make misstakes it does not make them ignorant;)

DrakonStar

Reaction score
Hey, my country is in the back of nowhere, so yeah...

Eh, who could blame them? Would scientific progress feed them anyway?

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, such things happen every so often.

The only thing ecologists can do is to get over it. :)

CaptDeath

Reaction score
:( that bird looks like a bird of 1337
and they ate it with out knowing what it was? that is who ever bought it :( i guess it may be ignorance and desperation to resort to selling a bird you don't even know what it is to a meant market but to kill what may be the last of an extinct specious they =< FAIL! even if they didn't know they have failed

cause they could very well have had killed the last of them for what? a quick buck

denmax

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
:( that bird looks like a bird of 1337
and they ate it with out knowing what it was? that is who ever bought it :( i guess it may be ignorance and desperation to resort to selling a bird you don't even know what it is to a meant market but to kill what may be the last of an extinct specious they =< FAIL! even if they didn't know they have failed

cause they could very well have had killed the last of them for what? a quick buck

God brought and gave this animals for free. I can't really say that it is an epic fail because it was sold at a low cost.

Anyway, we can't blame those people. We learn from mistakes, right?

- This just reminds me from a friend who was grounded for having a grade of 94!! He was shocked, actually (of his parents for grounding him because of such a "low" grade [HPG is 100 o_O])..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.