For mundane functions, is it still better to use JASS?

Estel3

Reaction score
(Not sure if this is the right forum...)

I'm planning on putting a lot of work into learning JASS after the holidays. I'm currently beginning a project that I will need to use JASS for eventually. I'm curious though, are simple functions like setting up the game still noticeably better in JASS than in GUI? Is it worth it to use JASS for everything or just the stuff that is more indepth?

Reaction score
JASS for everything or just the stuff that is more indepth?

Depends on how much of a difference it will make, if you have a trigger that just displays text to players no real need to convert it and remove the BJ.

But if you have a map init trigger with loads of actions , its better to convert to jass and fix everything up.

Waaaaagh

I lost all my rep and my title being a jerk
Reaction score
I use vJass for absolutely everything. I used to use Jass for everything. The reason being they are both *considerably* faster to write then GUI. I can write TriggerRegisterAnyUnitEventBJ(t,EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_SPELL_EFFECT) much faster than I can find 'Unit Starts the Effect of an Ability'.

Frozenhelfir

set Gwypaas = Guhveepaws
Reaction score
Depends on how much of a difference it will make, if you have a trigger that just displays text to players no real need to convert it and remove the BJ.

But if you have a map init trigger with loads of actions , its better to convert to jass and fix everything up.

Perhaps, but if you want to do a lot of strings, JASS is much easier to do "|Cff00ff00" + I2S(playernumbertypething...) +"|r" than clicking through all the menus. And if you want to add another string later on you have to click through even more and more changing EVERYTHING basically. Personally, I'd use JASS, generally faster to write than GUI, and it executes more efficiently.

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
mostly nothing is noticeably better in JASS (accept massive movement systems, or when tested on a shit comp)
that said - its faster, and easier to write in JASS

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
that doesn't make it not true

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jass is faster, more efficient and cleaner.
You won't notice the speed difference.

Although (for example) having multiple triggers with periodic events in GUI will drive you mad eventually.
In Jass, just call a function with a timer.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.