Tutorial General - Basic Unit Duplication for model or minor modifications

Cheekything

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
I have made this brief tutorial on copying a unit for basic modifications to hopefully solve some issues people have been having with duplicating units and not getting them to work.

Start off by opening the Data editor.

You will need to have the first 4 of these buttons selected.
screenshot20100810at140.png

*note toggling the first button will be more useful for modifications later.

Step one find your unit

I will copy the marine, which is easily findable via the search box

Step two duplicate the unit

select the following 3 boxes only:

Unit, Actor, Model

*note if you want to edit the weapons and other things you may need to add more but for now I'm just using the unit as a shell.

The first thing you'll notice is that the file is completely copied and just renamed, which is good as you wont have to edit too much back to the original.

The second thing you'll notice is that the game will give you a white blob if you try to paste the unit (or in some cases like mine a black blob)

Step three rename the unit, you do this by double clicking the duplicated unit (it should be in green)

This will help for later on, however the name can always be changed.

Step four setting the model, you do this by right clicking on the model in the unit tree and going to View linked object.

Right I'm going to change the model to marine, however you should be more than able to change to any model you like.

screenshot20100810at141.png

*note the current model will not exist.

To change it find a model part that you want(you can use the search function to make this easier

Step five editing the actor.

Firstly check the Token (this is where the actor links to the unit)

screenshot20100810at153.png

You'll want to copy a few things from the marine actor to your copy if you want it to use the same voice or which ever unit you want it to sound like.

screenshot20100810at151.png

The one area you'll really want to check if anything is Events:

This area is responsible for a lot of the things your unit does and what it looks like while it does it.

You will need to double check all 3 (Send, Target and Terms) are linked to the correct unit/ model ID which in my case is Marine2.

All 3 will have the following two bits that most likely need to be changed if the correct model is not displaying.

A last note do not remove sound files, even if they have nothing in them.
i.e. (Marine_Birth (Unknown)
As they stop a default sound being played globally.

Attachments

• Marine copy.SC2Map.zip
    30.9 KB · Views: 389

punwisp

Reaction score
Normally your only suppose to select actors, effects, and weapons when you duplicate a unit. And you should include how to get them trainable, people often can't get that to work right and end up having issues with them. A tutorial that shows how to get them to work and be trainable would be far more helpful then how to just edit them.

Cheekything

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
This is for building, units and other things, hence i didn't go into the weapons but alot of people have issues with the link between the unit, actor and model so this is for them.

This tutorial should be perfect for people who want to make a set of buildable or trainable dummy units/buildings and then to add in the complex parts later.

Weapons, abilities and other effects can a bit more complex in details but the link between them and the unit is much easier to do.

However I can easily create one on how to train units, any other basic ones tutorials missing?

Tyman2007

Ya Rly >.
Reaction score
This is a pretty good tutorial :p Well done!

It's not a preferred method when learning. People should use the "Add Object" function until they've fully mastered it. Doesn't take long, but it's still something that needs mastered nonetheless. The duplicate function lacks some features in it and you can't do as much than with the "Add Object" function, but if you're looking to copy a unit exactly then it should work.

Severon

Reaction score
This is a pretty good tutorial :p Well done!

It's not a preferred method when learning. People should use the "Add Object" function until they've fully mastered it. Doesn't take long, but it's still something that needs mastered nonetheless. The duplicate function lacks some features in it and you can't do as much than with the "Add Object" function, but if you're looking to copy a unit exactly then it should work.

To be honest, I'm a little confused on why your saying you can't do as much with the duplicate function as the add object function. With the duplicate function you get the a copy of the unit you start with and from there you can add,delete,rename, ect to get the same affect as add object if you are getting a unit close to another unit or completely different and want to start with a template.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.