Gladiator

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> You control your characters every swing and block
Perhaps I don't really understand how you intend to do this, but ouch, its a very bad idea for a multiplayer map to click for every attack. Why? One word: delay.
Some people simply don't have a good connection...an attack may happen about 1 second after actually ordering it...your hero will just stand there waiting for an order while taking heavy damage. By all means do not go for making an attack system like this, it will certainly ruin it and generally give a great advantage to the player that hosted.
Perhaps a better, more strategic approach would be using some sort of stance system - as in "attack stance" with more damage and less defence and speed, "berserk stance" with more speed at the cost of attack and defence etc.

Anyway a couple of things you should know about:
-chat can't be turned off in-game, at least not the default one, you can probably make a fully triggered thing using game messages if you want
-detecting when a player is "running away" can be quite hard and its probably impossible to predict all bugs that might happen
-a "leadership" skill might not be a good idea, I'm sure everyone would like to be a "leader", reagardless of what the skill actually does...I'd go for finding a better name if I were you
-Rome had no kings AFAIK, they had emperors

I

IndianSummer

Is this project dead?

O_O looks so.... :eek:
@ SFilip : Right, the delay WILL kill the map's fighting idea : (
The fighting system would be great for a singleplayer Scenario tough,
don't know what way you used to attack/block, but if you used to do it
with clicking, I suggest locking the camera behind the gladiator and use the:

Code:
Event - A player presses the forward key

and so on, this would be an innovative new gameplay :D

Edit : Yay, what about, the longer a player presses the attack key, the more powerfull is the attack ? :D (would be hella fun)
Edit 2 : If everyone wants to use this idea, feel free to use it, but credit =]

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
(don't know if this is dead for sure, but oh well)

If everyone is on the same team, it doesn't matter too much if the host has an advantage. Also, some ideas for the combat system:

Each unit has mana, which is actually energy (unless you have a mage), which regenerates very quickly (about 10 a second on average), which is used to do attacks. Units don't attack normally, but have different abilities which they can use. Abilities cost different amounts, and have different cooldowns. Also, if the unit has a shield, then when it is hit it will attempt to block with it. Depending on the size of the shield, it takes a certain amount of energy, and blocks a certain amount (or percentage) of damage. If there isn't enough energy, the unit can't block. Most units will have about 4 abilities, and a block if they have a shield. Examples:

Shortsword and Shield:
Slash - Cheap, reliable attack, can be used somewhat often, does good damage.
Stab - More expensive attack, does high damage but usually leaves you with little energy afterwards to block.
Lunge - You lunge at the enemy, doing massive damage if you hit. Uses all remaining energy, and does damage depending on how much energy you had.
Parry - Very cheap block, if used at the right time, can completely block an attack. At later levels, sometimes it disarms the enemy. (drains all of their energy for a time)
Block - Passive, if you have a moderate amount of energy, you can block, blocking a good portion of the damage.

Tactics: You will use the slash attack most often, keeping your enemy on their guard while usually damaging them slowly. You want to keep enough energy to block at least most of their attacks, and try to parry any of their attacks if you can. If you find an opening, or manage to disarm an enemy, you can lunge or stab at them, depending on how much energy you have at the moment.

Trident and Net:
Prod - Pokes at the enemy, not using much energy, hard to block, mostly used to keep the enemy at bay.
Stab - Uses more energy than a prod, and does much more damage. However, it is very easy to block, and does no damage and disarms you if it is.
Disarm - If used when the enemy has little energy left, disarms them. Takes little energy.
Net - Throws your net, capturing your enemy in it, keeping them from doing anything while they are caught. Can only be used once, and then you must retreive your net.

Tactics: The trident and net works best against a single opponent, as it relies heavily on netting the oponent, and then stabbing them, repeatedly if possible. Usually you use prod to keep your enemy on their toes, and use up some of their energy blocking the attacks. If you get a opening, or manage to net or disarm the enemy, you should stab them as much as you can while you have the chance, hopefully taking them out of combat right then.

Heavy-Gear

Reaction score
Yeah the project is pretty much dead... I'm going back to school now and im finding im not going to have the time to work on it :( If anyone wants to continue the project or use any ideas from it feel free, but make sure you give credit where credit is due. I'll check back from time to time :) peace out

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.