Growing Trees Over Time

SarChasm

Reaction score
Is it possible to have a "Grow Tree" like ability in which a unit plants a tree, and over x amount of time it grows into a normal Destructible Tree?

Dest

Reaction score
Is it possible to have a "Grow Tree" like ability in which a unit plants a tree, and over x amount of time it grows into a normal Destructible Tree?

Obviously, it can, but it'll need to use some triggers for which I do not know how to.

Kuberr24

Reaction score
first, you make an ability based on the skill "channel"
if you don't what channel is, read the tutorials about that spell.
basicly, it's an empty spell that does nothing without triggers, which you can freely edit to your needs.

Ok now, change channel so it targets a location

then make this trigger:

Trigger:
  • A unit starts the effect of an ability
    • (Ability being cast) equel to (Plant a plant)
    • Set TempPoint = Location of spell being cast
    • Create 1 tree at TempPoint
    • Change (last created destrucable) animation speed to 30%
    • Play (last created destructable) birth animation
    • CustomScript: RemoveLocation(udg_TempPoint)

SarChasm

Reaction score
So for the x amount of time thing, I'd have to change by how much the animation speed is being reduced right?

EDIT: Would appreciate it if someone could point me to a good Channel tutorial, or just tell me where I can find the ability in the editor. Also, does this Channel ability let you target a point?

Weegee

Go Weegee!
Reaction score
yes

The smaller the animation speed the slower the tree will appear to grow (obviously)

SarChasm

Reaction score
Problem: You can still harvest from the tree as it is growing. I wanted to have it like the creation of something like a building. The structure is incapable of actually doing anything until it is finished building.

Weegee

Go Weegee!
Reaction score
Trigger it. Seeing how you are creating a tree add that into a var. Then its your choice on how you are going to determine if its harvestable or not. I recomend using locals and JASS for this to work through out your map. I cant help you with the code cuse I have system restore to fix my comp (Again :banghead:)

SarChasm

Reaction score
Okay, can someone tell me why this doesn't work?

Trigger:
  • Grow Tree
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Ability being cast) Equal to Plant Tree
        • Then - Actions
          • Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Target point of ability being cast) using Abilities\Spells\NightElf\Barkskin\BarkSkinTarget.mdl
          • Wait 5.00 seconds
          • Destructible - Create a Summer Tree Wall at (Target point of ability being cast) facing (Random angle) with scale 1.00 and variation (Random integer number between 0 and 9)
          • Animation - Play (Last created destructible)'s birth animation
          • Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
        • Else - Actions

Ayanami

칼리
Reaction score
Okay, can someone tell me why this doesn't work?

Trigger:
  • Grow Tree
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
          • Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Target point of ability being cast) using Abilities\Spells\NightElf\Barkskin\BarkSkinTarget.mdl
          • Wait 5.00 seconds
          • Destructible - Create a Summer Tree Wall at (Target point of ability being cast) facing (Random angle) with scale 1.00 and variation (Random integer number between 0 and 9)
          • Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
        • Else - Actions

It probably because after the "Wait", the trigger no longer recognises "Target point of ability being cast". So set variables.

Trigger:
  • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
          • Set TempPoint = (Target point of ability being cast)
          • Special Effect - Create a special effect at TempPoint using Abilities\Spells\NightElf\Barkskin\BarkSkinTarget.mdl
          • Set Effect = (Last created special effect)
          • Wait 5.00 seconds
          • Destructible - Create a Summer Tree Wall at TempPoint facing (Random angle) with scale 1.00 and variation (Random integer number between 0 and 9)
          • Special Effect - Destroy Effect
          • Custom Script: call RemoveLocation(udg_TempPoint)
        • Else - Actions

SarChasm

Reaction score
If someone casts this spell multiple times within 5 seconds, or different players cast the spell at the same time, wouldn't that screw up the TempPoint and Effect variables?

Ayanami

칼리
Reaction score
If someone casts this spell multiple times within 5 seconds, or different players cast the spell at the same time, wouldn't that screw up the TempPoint variable?

It would screw the variable. Then just give arrays.

Ayanami

칼리
Reaction score
Then set the array in this manner.

Trigger:
  • Actions
    • Set PlayerNumber = (Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))
      • If - Conditions
        • Value less than or equal to 20
      • Then - Actions
        • Set Value = (Value + 1)
      • Else - Actions
        • Set Value = 1
    • Set Value = (Value + 1)
    • Set TempPoint[(PlayerNumber x 21) + Value]

I think it's like this =/

SarChasm

Reaction score
Perhaps there is a better way to approach this spell. I'm looking for something that will create a marker so that the player will know where the spell was targeted. Then after x amount of time, the marker will disappear, and a tree will spawn where the marker formerly was.

EDIT: Turns out the original code works, but only if the worker stays put for the duration of the spell. Perhaps this is something that has to do with the Channel ability itself?

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
2 triggers, MUI:
Code:
    Events
        Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Plant Tree 
    Actions
        Set TempPoint = (Target point of ability being cast)
        Unit - Create 1 EffectUnit at TempPoint for Owner of (Triggering unit)...
        Unit - Add 5 seconds generic Expiration timer to (Last created unit)
        Custom Script: call RemoveLocation(udg_TempPoint)

Code:
    Events
        Unit - A unit dies
    Conditions
        Unit-type of (Triggering unit) Equal to EffectUnit
    Actions
        Set TempPoint = (Position of (Triggering unit))
        Destructible - Create a Summer Tree Wall at TempPoint facing (Random angle) with scale 1.00 and variation (Random integer number between 0 and 9)
        Animation - Play (Last created destructible)'s birth animation
        Animation - <[I]you can also set animation speed here, to look realistic[/I]>
        Custom Script: call RemoveLocation(udg_TempPoint)

It's a cheating way. But it's simple and it works. EffectUnit is a dummy unit with your desired sfx model. Give it Locust etc...

SarChasm

Reaction score
This doesn't solve the problem of the variables getting screwed up with multiple casts though. Good idea though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.