News Hackers Breach Second Sony Service

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Sony Corp. said computer hackers breached security for a second online service, gaining access to personal information for 24.6 million customer accounts as part of a broader attack on the company that has compromised data for more than 100 million accounts.

Sony Online Entertainment, a San Diego-based subsidiary that makes multiplayer games for personal computers, said it shut down its services Monday amid concerns a hacker may have accessed names, birth dates and addresses for its users.

The company said it doesn't believe credit-card information on those accounts was accessed, but said hackers may have stolen credit-card data for about 12,700 non-U.S. accounts and 10,700 bank-account numbers from an "outdated database from 2007."

The company, which has come under fire for its handling of the security breach, said it detected the latest intrusion early May 2, Tokyo time, as part of an ongoing investigation of the attacks.

Last edited:

Wummi

Just Relax and Smile!
Reaction score
>.<

So either some hackers have a huge grudge against Sony (maybe other competing companies)
OR
Sony's security system simply sucks balls. What do you guys think?

However, I thought Sony put a lot of money into computer security. The PS3 system has one of the best security systems in the world. Way better than the xBox or Wii at least. Hackers have been having a hard time cracking the PS3 system.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
the ps3 never had any real security considering you could install linux on it already... that by itself made it much easier to hack then the 360/wii, but they did also set off a hornet's nest

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
It's because they are going after Geohot, the first person to hack the PS3, like crazy over the release of his PS3 hack and OtherOS. And because of this, it's pissing off a lot of people within the hacking scene, as Geohot is getting sued up the ass and has a TRO against using a PS3, and he is one of the biggest in the scene. Therefore Sony is getting screwed, because they're going after them over their BS they're pulling with the hacking of the PS3 and OtherOS.

Now you know. :)

The PS3 system has one of the best security systems in the world.

Not true, anymore. It WAS, but once someone found that one exploit in the hardware/software, it is now easy as cake to hack, and thus, run unapproved apps over PSN, such as exploits, hacks, and trainers.

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
Not true, anymore. It WAS, but once someone found that one exploit in the hardware/software, it is now easy as cake to hack, and thus, run unapproved apps over PSN, such as exploits, hacks, and trainers.

Not anymore. 3.60 has new keys, which effectively means any games signed with those keys cannot be run by 3.55 or 3.41. They have to hack 3.60, again.

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
I think they should have probably just hired Geohot like he originally put out there... Instead of sueing him. XD

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
So either some hackers have a huge grudge against Sony (maybe other competing companies)
OR
Sony's security system simply sucks balls. What do you guys think?

Little bit of both, I think. I'm glad I don't have any personal information on my PSN though. :D

xPass

All aboard the xPass Express!
Reaction score
I think they should have probably just hired Geohot like he originally put out there... Instead of sueing him. XD

Yeah, suing Geohot was the worst mistake they ever made...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.