Has WoW peaked?

Zurtrogx

Reaction score
I used to play WoW. I got up to level 60, then I decided to stop because I got bored.
Some people who I know are also quitting because they find WoW boring.

Anyway, the new MMORPG known as Age of Conan has come out and I am playing that instead.
Personally, it seems much better than WoW ;you are able to build cities and raid other players' cities with the help of NPC's, there is a more advanced PvP system, larger map, max level at 80 (without any expansions yet), and it uses Directx10 so the graphics are heaps better. You also get spellweaver where you can combine different spells together to make more powerful spells - heaps of things that WoW doesn't have.
(AoC is basically a combiniation of lots of different games which follows the Lore of Conan the Barbarian, by Robert E. Howard)

Talking to my mate who still plays WoW, he belived AoC will crash and WoW will keep getting more people.

So, what is your opinion;
Has WoW peak?
Is AoC good enough to rival WoW?

Dakho

()[o__o]()
Reaction score
WoW will never peak, it's an endless mountain range. I'd say it was at its best pre BC and it went down in the exp. But with WotLK they know what the people want now and I think WoW, with the exp., will dominate once again.

However AoC I think will be quite the rival, at least until Warhammer.

Asehujiko

Reaction score
AOC is the most recent addition to the pile of overhyped mmo's claiming to be "wowkillers". None of the previous titles lived up to it's hype and neither will this one.

Jackal

You can change this now in User CP... or Die Tryin
Reaction score
I myself am not too impressed with AoC, sure it has very good skins, but the models have a jagged edge feel to them, and the interface looks quite a bit like WoW.

w00t22

CSS L4D DoD? Steam ID = w00t22
Reaction score
at the end of the day wow will always come out on top because it has so many fans so far and the fact that blizzard actually sometimes listens to what they say and have a new patch every month keeping players interested. also aoc doesnt have the stuff that wow has. i havent played aoc or will so i cant say its horibble or isnt cool etc

Ashcat

Hellooo
Reaction score
Some of my closest friends on WoW left for Age of Conan. I looked at some screenshots of the game, I really wouldnt say the graphics are better than WoW, but I guess it could be a matter of opinion since its not an important issue. I've never played AoC or even done much reading on it, it sounds great from all that you're saying but I'm also sure that WoW has things that AoC doesn't, just as AoC has things that WoW doesn't. However, I do not think that AoC will triumph over WoW, as amazing and popular as it is. There could be several reasons why, some people find WoW more addicting than drugs, some people (like myself) just aren't interested in moving to another game.

There are a ton of new great games coming out though, AoC, Warhammer online, and now Diablo III. Maybe with all these new games coming out that WoW players plan to leave for, WoW might not be the most popular game in the world anymore, but as I said earlier, I don't think it will ever die or peak until blizzard drops the curtain.

Dakho

()[o__o]()
Reaction score
I don't think it'll ever stop being 'the best' but will just be less of the best, and it will spread a little more.

As for the graphics of AoC, they're better technically but the artwork of WoW is much better.

Magentix

if (OP.statement == false) postCount++;
Reaction score
and it uses Directx10 so the graphics are heaps better.

I'm pretty sure WoW has Dx10.

AoC says it uses Dx10, but it doesn't (yet?).
Read a GFX card testing article for AoC, in which they say you can't enable Dx10 features yet.

(Best GFX card for your buck to play AoC with was claimed 8800GT btw)

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Not any more, ATIs Radeon 4850 and 4870 are amazing and a great deal.
I have the 4850, its god-like.
But, 8800GT in SLI is legendary.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
AoC was horrible, IMO.
The animations are rough, the characters "run" faster than they really move, so it gives the animation that they are moonwalking. Also, even on Highest, the grahpics aren't that great, and there are many problems with the "inrange" view distance.

Next shitty MMO to claim it's going to own WoW, please, because this one failed.

Magentix

if (OP.statement == false) postCount++;
Reaction score
Next shitty MMO to claim it's going to own WoW, please, because this one failed.

Whai hellow thar Warhammer Online!

No seriously... it has some nice graphics, but they don't go and pretend they have "teh uber 1137z0rz graphics", instead they develop the gameplay to be something amazing.

If there's one MMO where i'd bet my money on that it's going to own WoW, it's definately WO:Age of Reckoning.

Watch the podcasts here: The gameplay OWNS

Prometheus

Reaction score
I like WoW just as much as the next guy but if WoW crashing meant wc4 then "Down with WoW!" :)

Wargasm

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
i thought AOC was superior to WoW

awesome graphics ! those screenshot you see on the web somehow do not do justice AT ALL!!

now to bad part

level 55 grind to 60 . no content

then nother choke point at 70 to 80

and then end game

fokked up loot tables , not much todo
tradeskills are horrible and broken

seems funcom got game balance right till level 20 .. the rest is a nitemare

i am back to hellgate london amazing how much better that game got in 6 months time after release

Kilgam

Reaction score
I played WoW before also i was raiding in a top guild pre-TBC but got bored with the expansion. Now i'm waiting for a coming rival(maybe?) to WoW, have anyone else heard of ''Darkfall'' ? it seems pretty cool :cool:

Prometheus

Reaction score
Please enlighten me where this chokepoint originates from because as far as i know the expansion isn't even out yet.

He was talking about Age of Conan.

I played WoW before also i was raiding in a top guild pre-TBC but got bored with the expansion. Now i'm waiting for a coming rival(maybe?) to WoW, have anyone else heard of ''Darkfall'' ? it seems pretty cool :cool:

Darkfall looks nice, but losing stuff when you die completely phails.

Kilgam

Reaction score
Darkfall looks nice, but losing stuff when you die completely phails.

That's what makes it fair, only pure skills, everyone can beat everyone not some Epic Arena Geared Affliction Warlock that's just DoT you up and ur dead
:mad:

Just beacuse they have alot of time to spend on farming Arena.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.