Help with a slowing trail spell

b_ray210

Reaction score
Hey guys its been a while since i edited and ive forgotten everything. Im trying to make a spell that i can cast and for the next (10?) seconds it lays a trail behind him that slows units that walk in it. ive figured out how to lay the trail (im using little webs every 0.35 seconds) but they stack up on top of eachother if i stop moving and it looks bad. also i cant figure out how to make it slow units that walk on it. thanks guys! (and girls)

oh yea its an instant spell that effects the caster

Cheddar

This is the way it was meant to be.
Reaction score
Set the point where a web is created to a point variable like LastPointOfWeb or something. If the point of the hero is less than X range away from LastPointOfWeb, skip the web creation.

Add Tornado Slow Aura to the webs; they are units, right?

b_ray210

Reaction score
Blur
Events
Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
Conditions
(Ability being cast) Equal to Blur
Actions
Animation - Change (Triggering unit)'s vertex coloring to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 40.00% transparency
Set BCas = (Triggering unit)
Trigger - Turn on Blur images <gen>
Wait (4.00 + (Real((Level of Blur for BCas)))) seconds
Trigger - Turn off Blur images <gen>

Blur images
Events
Time - Every 0.35 seconds of game time
Conditions
Actions
Set BlurGroup = (Units within 100.00 of (Position of BCas) matching ((Unit-type of (Matching unit)) Equal to dummy unit highland archer blur))
If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
If - Conditions
(Number of units in BlurGroup) Equal to 0
Then - Actions
Unit - Create 1 dummy unit highland archer blur for (Owner of BCas) at (Position of BCas) facing (Facing of BCas) degrees
Animation - Change (Last created unit)'s vertex coloring to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 60.00% transparency
Animation - Play (Last created unit)'s walk animation
Unit - Add a 3.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
Else - Actions
Do nothing

k this is a similar spell ive created but the "dummy unit highland archer blur" still stacks up if the hero stops moving

Ashlebede

Reaction score
I call [ljass]SetUnitMoveSpeed()[/ljass].

Trigger:
  • Unit - Set (Triggering unit) movement speed to 300.00

You'd have to detect a "Unit within range" for the dummy unit... probably easier in JASS, since you could make a [ljass]local trigger[/ljass] variable.

b_ray210

Reaction score
k i dont really understand what youre doing with movespeed haha i understand the movespeed thing now ill just use the tornado slow aura and put the range very low. the thing im having trouble with is how the dummy units (webs that make up the trail) or the "dummy highland archer blur" in the example i posted above, stack up if the triggering unit stops moving

Ashlebede

Reaction score
Shouldn't, if your dummy unit has no pathing/locust.

Oh, and there are leaks in that.

And that action will change a unit's movespeed permanently... you'd have to register an event in yet another trigger for when "A unit comes within X of UNIT". That way you can detect when a unit comes close enough and change its movespeed, starting a timer to set it back to how it was before... meh, GUI is too complicated. u_u

b_ray210

Reaction score
My dummy does have locust and no pathing :(

What are the leaks? im really bad with stuff like that haha

and if i add the slow aura to the webs then the unit that runs onto it wont be permanentely slowed will it? if i put the duration to like 0.2 seconds or something

b_ray210

Reaction score
k my internet is bugging so i dont know if ive already posted this reply.

1) my dummys have no pathing and they have locust but they still stack. is there something wrong with my trigger?

2) what are the leaks im really bad with them

3) if i add a slow aura to the "trail" and a unit runs on it wouldnt it just have the aura as long as the duration says, not permanentely?

Ashlebede

Reaction score
1) I don't see anything wrong there, except for the leaks. u_u

2) Read the tutorial about leaks? Link in previous post.

Leaks are "leftovers" after a trigger's execution. For instance, every time you use (Position of (Triggering unit)), a new point is created and cannot be retrieved. So the point remains there and takes a few bytes of RAM.

After a couple hundreds or thousands of leaks, there will be much more lag on your map, since you need more RAM to run the program. At some point, the map might become unplayable. Groups, regions and special effects may also leak, as well as a few more things.

3) If you played a melee game and had a unit with Trueshot aura, would its effect last even after the unit is outside the aura's range? No, that would be imbalanced. It removes the aura's effect when a unit is not in range of the aura anymore.

b_ray210

Reaction score
1) alright yea thats the main problem with it so that sucks :(

2) yea sorry my internet was not refreshing right so i didnt know if i had posted already haha

3) i know thats what im saying though. its not permanent you said it would be and i dont want it to be so were saying the same thing basically haha

+ rep anyways

Cheddar

Reaction score
Units with Locust aren't picked up by "Pick all units". Replace that part with a distance check between where you are now and where you were before.

Do an IF/THEN/ELSE. IF (Distance between LastWebPoint) and (TempPoint) is greater than 100, THEN (Create 1 Web thing) and Set LastWebPoint equal to (Position of (Dude)), ELSE Do nothing

b_ray210

Reaction score
oh thanks tha will work much better. the only problem is if the caster turns around and walks back over the dummys but that will likely not happen in the game im making.
thanks!

Cheddar

Reaction score
Oh, I kinda forgot that could happen. Well, as long as they aren't stacking as they were before, I guess...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.