Hero Ability Learn Skill Casting Issue.

GardenofWar

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
If there are any experts out there on this, a tutorial would be ideal. I should add a request to the request thread. I did not see one and have yet to find much on this. Fortunately, Blizzard was kind enough to add a Test Hero to the Editor. If I come to understand this a little better perhaps I will have time between my studies to create one myself. I don't know that I could explain why or how everything works, however, it might provide some of you with more than what is currently out there on this...unless I missed something. Anyhow, I was able to duplicate what they had, which is essentially just adding a button to get to a command card so that when your hero levels you have a Hero Ability learn selection sub-menu just like in WCIII which adds or levels your new ability. The base ability they give you for their Test Hero is the BC's Yamoto Cannon which is a target-able command. The first ability that I tried to modify was the Marine's Stimpack ability (not recommended, it's messy IMO), what I am running into is that it makes the ability target-able and you can cast it on another unit instead of the ability automatically being used on the casting unit. Anyone know how to clean this up or what the relationship is from the TestLearn and Testlvlup* ability to the ability that you choose for this to reference? I'm curious if you need to create two new abilities for every ability that is different that you wish to have learned? This is what I did. Should, not that I know how, create this ability from scratch? I don't think that's necessary which is why I am hoping someone knows how to manipulate this correlation so that it does not follow the UI of the Yamoto skill but can be used for any ability.

*I'm at school and don't have the editor open so I don't remember what this ability was called for sure but it was close to this I believe.

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
I done a fair bit of playing around with Hero abilities so I should be able to help you. I was making a tutorial for it but currently don't have the time to finish it off. I will eventually though.

So how this system works is that you have your hero ability (with multiple levels if required) and you should have a learn ability. The learn ability controls the adding of skill points to 'learn' or 'upgrade' an ability. These two abilities are linked through the Ability - Info property on the Learn Ability. Note that you can assign up to 20 abilities to 1 Learn ability, so you should only require 1 Learn Ability per hero.

When looking at the test hero, it has 2 abilities which are related to this topic. The first is called TestLearn and this is the Learn Ability. The second is called TestLeveledSpell and this is a modified version of the Yamato Cannon ability (because it includes data for multiple levels). The real Yamato Cannon ability (the one which the battlecruiser has) is not linked in any way to the test hero (it will share some components but the actual ability is not linked).

So as far as your ability being targetable when it shouldn't be, I would say you have tried to link abilities incorrectly. If your still unsure of something, I would be happy to provide further clarification.

GardenofWar

Reaction score
Dave312, thanks mate! I am grateful for the help and would truly appreciate some further clarification. Sorry it took me so long to respond, but I have been rather busy and wasn't able to try some of the things you were mentioning. I did test the Ability -Info property on the Learn Ability and linked it to Stimpack, however, this did not solve my issue. I would love some further assistance on this. Currently, and over the next few days, my time will be limited so for now I just wanted to hop on and say thank you as well as throw you some rep. You sound like a nice guy. I would love some further assistance in trying to understand this a little more if you wouldn't mind.

GardenofWar

Reaction score
Dave312, thanks mate! I am grateful for the help and would truly appreciate some further clarification. Sorry it took me so long to respond, but I have been rather busy and wasn't able to try some of the things you were mentioning. I did test the Ability -Info property on the Learn Ability and linked it to Stimpack, however, this did not solve my issue. I would love some further assistance on this. Currently, and over the next few days, my time will be limited so for now I just wanted to hop on and say thank you as well as throw you some rep. You sound like a nice guy. I would love some further assistance in trying to understand this a little more if you wouldn't mind.

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply but I've had a rather busy week. Anyway, I was a little unsure of what was causing your issue, so I decided to see if I could turn the Stimpack ability into a hero ability. I had much success, so your problem must be to do with something else you have done. I have attached the map I made and below are the steps that I used to get this working. I did all of this from a blank map with only the Liberty Multi dependency.

• Create Learn button (the button used to spend your skill points). Set the icon and tooltip as you desire
  • Create Learn Stimpack button (the button used to spend your skill points on learning the Stimpack ability). Set the icon and tooltip as you desire
  • Create the Veterancy Behaviour
    • Add 2 veterancy levels, 1 at 0 exp and the other at 100 exp. Do not need to adjust anything else for each level.
  • Create the Learn Ability
    • Set Ability - Points Per Level to 1
    • Modified the Ability - Info property and set Learn1:
      • Set Ability to Marine - Stimpack
      • Set default button to the Learn Stimpack button created earlier
  • Modified Zealot
    • Added Marine - Stimpack and the created learn ability to the Zealots Ability - Abilities +
    • Added the veterancy behaviour created earlier to the zealot Behaviour - Behaviours + property
    • Modified the Ability - Command Card + Property
      • Added the Use Stimpack button and set:
        • Command Type to Ability Command
        • Ability to Marine Stimpack
        • Ability Command to Use Stimpack
      • Added the Learn button and set:
        • Command Type to Submenu
        • Command Card to 2
        • Learn Ability to Learn ability created previously
      • Change the command card to 2 and added these buttons:
        • Cancel button with the command type Cancel Submenu
        • Learn Stimpack button (created at start) and set:
          - Command Type to Ability Command
          - Ability to Learn ability created previously
          - Ability Command to Learn Stimpack
  • Modified the Marine - Stimpack ability
    • Modified the Ability - Commands + property
      • Removed the Use Stimpack requirement from the Execute command

Attachments

• HeroAbilityStimpack.zip
    8.8 KB · Views: 146
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.