Is there a way to make a forum...

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

VG Emblem

Well, TheHelper.net forums (these, obviously) run on vBulletin (IMO the best). Technically, if you also get vBulletin, you can have all the options that are available here. There's a large amount of customizability, however they will all resemble each other somewhat. So yeah, if you wanted to and got vBulletin, you could exactly replicate TheHelper in terms of the functionality/layout.

But that brings up another thing: vBulletin costs money. It costs like $85 to lease the system for a year and $160 to purchase it indefinitely. And also, unlike something like InvisionFree that's free, you have to host it on your own website, meaning even more money. I recently got a domain, a year of webhosting, and the one year lease for vBulletin and it cost me almost $200. :(

But it's better functionality and another advantage is that they (the vBulletin guys) have absolutely no control over the content on your forums, unlike a free company like InvisionFree.

King TonGoll

ORLY?*DDR*
Reaction score
if you want a cheep and good forum, my advise is make your own by your own means. but this takes a lot of time. and knowledg. i couldnt do it, i dont have that kind of time. and as for knowledg, you gain that on the way.

NiKaNoRoU_GR

Reaction score
PsychoMonkey said:
You can also use a software like phpBB (http://www.phpbb.com)

You can install rep mods and customer title modes as well as custom themes. It may not be as user friendly as vBulletin, but its free.

My forum runs off of phpBB

http://www.rh-factor.net/forum
That's quite good, but don't these boxes, green and red show member's level or warn level? not reputation :p
@VG or anyone else, is there a way that I can have that programm off of Bulletin without the $300+?

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
The VBulletin forum software is not free. If you wanted a forum exactly like this one you would have to pay VBulletin for the forum software - I don't believe they have a free version.

NiKaNoRoU_GR

Reaction score
The Helper said:
The VBulletin forum software is not free. If you wanted a forum exactly like this one you would have to pay VBulletin for the forum software - I don't believe they have a free version.
Thanks for your answer.Btw close this thread, no more posts are needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up WildTurkey?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Looks like Google fixed whatever mistake that made the recipes on the site go crazy and we are no longer trending towards a recipe site lol - I don't care though because it motivated me to spend alot of time on the site improving it and at least now the content people are looking at is not stupid and embarrassing like it was when I first got back into this like 5 years ago.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Plus - I have a pretty bad ass recipe collection now! That section of the site is 10 thousand times better than it was before
  • The Helper The Helper:
    We now have a web designer at my job. A legit talented professional! I am going to get him to redesign the site theme. It is time.
  • Varine Varine:
    I got one more day of community service and then I'm free from this nonsense! I polished a cop car today for a funeral or something I guess
  • Varine Varine:
    They also were digging threw old shit at the sheriff's office and I tried to get them to give me the old electronic stuff, but they said no. They can't give it to people because they might use it to impersonate a cop or break into their network or some shit? idk but it was a shame to see them take a whole bunch of radios and shit to get shredded and landfilled
  • The Helper The Helper:
    whatever at least you are free
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.