Laptop Not Turning On

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I have a laptop that we've been using for projections, but a while ago it stopped turning on.

When I press the power button, the power light comes on, but once the power button is released it the light stays on for a few more seconds and then goes off. It doesn't go to the operating system loading screen or anything; I don't think the screen is even turning on. I've tried it plugged in, not plugged in, held the button down for a while, but nothing happens.

Someone got it on a few weeks ago when he held a couple of different buttons down, but that doesn't work anymore either.

So does that mean the power supply or battery is dead or something?

BoobiesTrap

Reaction score
It is the power button that gone bad. The power led didn't go off immediatelly because the power capasitor still have some juice to power the led. I bet if you keep on holding down the power button your laptop would still function normally. Just give it a test.

Varine

Reaction score
So just hold the power button for a while?

BoobiesTrap

Reaction score
Yeah. I meant for you to test it. I'm betting each time you release the button, your laptop will turn off. The test is just to make sure that it was not a system screwups. If the system does run normally, then you need to get your laptop to a repair station and have them clean it up or change the switch if necessary.

S

StevenAlone

This happened too my friend lately. Actually for one week ago, and i had to delliver it to the reapir station because it melted under, and the battery were flatt :lol:, but you should delliver it too the repair station right away! :D

Good luck with your laptop :)

Varine

Reaction score
When I hold the power button down, it did the same thing, but once it shut off it just started over again. LED comes on for a few seconds, shuts off, then it comes back on. The power LED to the CD-ROM tray also comes on.

Could it be the motherboard? I assume I can find another one for it somewhere and just swap it out, but since it's a Dell I don't really want to have to do that unless I really need to. Or what about the display? Doesn't the computer just shut off if the video thing isn't working right?

It's an Inspiron 1100.

Wargasm

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
take out the battery .
make sure the power chord is unplugged

turn on the notebook .. yes it won't start coz there is no juice

leave it for 2 hours with no battery and power chord unplugged..

then plugin the power chord ..DO not insert the battery .
first turn on the notebook ..

hope it works .. real old trick btw

BoobiesTrap

Reaction score
From your test result, my first suspicion's poven to be wrong. But that's okay, coz that's why we need the test.

Now, when you test it (powering your laptop by holding down the power button), did you notice a certain period where your laptop goes on then off (for example it turned on for every two minutes before it goes off)? Or there was no certain period (random)?

If there is, then it could be the power (coupling) capacitor (the one inside your laptop, not the one on the charger) that is having a problem. An old capacitor grows weak and cannot hold juice like they were suppose to. The symptom is: for a certain period of time the capacitor goes dead for a blink then it comes back to normal again. if this is the case, it is like having your laptop being reset for every a few times.

Could this be the case?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.