"Lock On" Ability Help

M

M. Warlord

Alright, to give you a basic idea of what I want, here's the tooltip for the my ability...

"The Mad Scientist (hero in question) locks onto a target enemy unit, enabling him vision and the ability to shoot at it from any range for 3/5/7/9 seconds. If any orders are issued to the Scientist while he is locked on, he will lose his concentration and not be able to shoot the target from a distance."

How did I plan on doing this? The hero has both attacks disabled, but has an orb ability that enables attack 1. Attack 2 is the same as attack 1, but with 20,000 range.

The ability itself is a faerie fire that doesn't decrease armor with a buff that gives the target the trueshot aura graphic. The rest is supposed to be done through these triggers:

Lock On
Events
Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
Conditions
(Ability being cast) Equal to Lock On
Actions
Unit - Order (Casting unit) to Attack (Target unit of ability being cast)
Unit - Add Attack 2 Enable to (Casting unit)
Unit - Remove Attack 1 Enable from (Casting unit)

Lock On Cancel
Events
Unit - A unit Is issued an order targeting an object
Unit - A unit Is issued an order targeting a point
Unit - A unit Is issued an order with no target
Conditions
(Unit-type of (Ordered unit)) Equal to Mad Scientist
(Level of Attack 2 Enable for (Ordered unit)) Equal to 1
Actions
Unit - Remove Attack 2 Enable from (Ordered unit)
Unit - Add Attack 1 Enable to (Ordered unit)

Attack Reset On Revival
Events
Unit - A unit Finishes reviving
Conditions
(Unit-type of (Reviving Hero)) Equal to Mad Scientist
Actions
Unit - Remove Attack 2 Enable from (Reviving Hero)
Unit - Add Attack 1 Enable to (Reviving Hero)

The problem? The hero can attack, but does no damamge whatsoever, the target of the spell gets no buff, and the hero seemingly never has the attack with 20,000 range throughout the entire process. Thanks for the read and any help in advance.

M

Made In WE

Did you try switching the Lock On Trigger event to Channeling instead of Starts an effect?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
it's not channeling if it's based off farie fire.. uhh i think the buff needs to be a custom buff based off of farie fire's buff, otherwise it wont work, but you can change the animation to your likeing

M

M. Warlord

Thanks, I just checked, the buff is indeed based off faerie fire, so that seems to not be the problem... Thanks anyway. (It's based off faerie fire so it gives vision of the target to the caster.)

M

M. Warlord

Sorry, but this fell down to the 2nd page and I still can't figure out how to make it work...

BUMP

R@d14nc3

Reaction score
Code:
Lock On
Events
Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
Conditions
(Ability being cast) Equal to Lock On 
Actions
Unit - Order (Casting unit) to Attack (Target unit of ability being cast)
Unit - Add Attack 2 Enable to (Casting unit)
Unit - Remove Attack 1 Enable from (Casting unit)
Fine, has no problems mainly.
Code:
Lock On Cancel
Events
Unit - A unit Is issued an order targeting an object
Unit - A unit Is issued an order targeting a point
Unit - A unit Is issued an order with no target
Conditions
(Unit-type of (Ordered unit)) Equal to Mad Scientist
(Level of Attack 2 Enable for (Ordered unit)) Equal to 1
Actions
Unit - Remove Attack 2 Enable from (Ordered unit)
Unit - Add Attack 1 Enable to (Ordered unit)
Here we get scrambled:
you must add a wait action in order to let the unit attack the target at least once
And also it does it EVERY time the unit issues an order, whenever it has Lock On or not.
Code:
Attack Reset On Revival
Events
Unit - A unit Finishes reviving
Conditions
(Unit-type of (Reviving Hero)) Equal to Mad Scientist
Actions
Unit - Remove Attack 2 Enable from (Reviving Hero)
Unit - Add Attack 1 Enable to (Reviving Hero)
Fine.

M

M. Warlord

Thank you for the generous reply. I just tried adding a "wait 1.00 game time seconds" to the start of the cancel trigger, but there's no difference.

I shoudl've probably stated this before: The hero can NEVER deal damage, (but can still attack) and doesn't have the attack box with XX-XX damage, ever.

I have never seen the target get the buff from the ability, I'm going to experiment by adding an armor decrease to the actual ability to see if the problem is in somehow in the OE. Will edit this post after I do so.

Edit: Akwardly enough, the ability itself fails to even decrease armor! I set all the level fields of the ability to 4, (the default of faerie fire) and it coudn't even do that... This makes me start to think Faerie Fire can not work as a hero ability? Help, please?

Cal1991

Reaction score
Edit: Akwardly enough, the ability itself fails to even decrease armor! I set all the level fields of the ability to 4, (the default of faerie fire) and it coudn't even do that... This makes me start to think Faerie Fire can not work as a hero ability? Help, please?

Faerie Fire does work as a hero skill. Make sure you set the duration long enough on all the levels. If that doesn't fix it, the only way I would be able to help you is if you uploaded the map with the problem somewere so I could look at it.

http://epicwar.com/maps/ <-- A good site for uploading/downloading maps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.