Math Problem

BarzahdX

Reaction score
It's simple to most people(likely) but not to me, I'm kind of lacking in the mathematical department. >.>

My goal: To make a spell deal 5 damage for the first rank, 8 for the second, 12 for the third, and 17 for the fourth, all in the same trigger.

My problem: It starts at 5, then increases only by 3, then 4 from that, and 5 from that.. Making it a very awkward pattern, I figured it would be faster to post here than do the math for 3 day. :)

If I need to just change the numbers so there is a more consistent pattern, than it's not too big of a deal, but might as well shoot for the stars before I give up. Thank you in advance. /bow

NOTE: I only want the math, I know how to actually cause a trigger to deal damage.

FireBladesX

Eating my wings!
Reaction score
Something like A X squared plus B X plus C, with A being (the amount that you want to increase each time / 2), B being the (base amount that you want to increase by - A), and C being a constant.
This is simply the generic template for abilities like this.

Here, I'll write it up to fix your scenario.

So, it's .5(X)^2 + 1.5(X) + 3.

In other (editor) words, something like:
Power (.5 * (Integer(Level of Ability Being Cast for Triggering Unit)),2) + ((1.5 * (Integer(Level of Ability Being Cast for Triggering Unit))) + 3)

FireBladesX

Eating my wings!
Reaction score
Oh yeah ;)
Glad you came along, that was a typo of mine.
Your version is easier, of course <3
Fixed.

BarzahdX

Reaction score
You guys are nuts, thanks a bunch--yeah FireBladesX, your first one was wrong, kinda threw me off.

So far you guys are 4/4.. Might not sound much right now, it'll grow! Thanks again. /bow

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.