New type of AI (read to find out) =)

Smygarn777

Reaction score
I had a thought of a new special ai in special ladder maps. an ai that functions differently from the melee ai in 2 ways.

1. the ai is unaware that there are any enemies on the map and acts like there is no one to fight but sends out scouts to confirm this. The scout if it finds an enemy confirms the location which takes a few seconds then returns to the camp to alarm the camp of the player presence. and the alarmed camp will send out raiding parties to locate the enemy base camp and attack it. the difference here is that the base camp is not aware the moment the scout finds the enemy, the scout has to return to the camp first which is a bit realistic. If the scout is slain, the camp will shortly after about a couple minutes send out a search party to look for the missing scout, the search party functions the same as the scout but consists of a group of a few scouts instead. each time the search party is sent out it gets bigger and bigger until its impossible to stop one or more from returning to the camp alive.
2. and two, the creeps are summoned instead of trained in a base camp like the picture below on that summoning circle. to get rid of the summoning circle, destroy the barracks in the base camp, which would now be the graveyard and the temple. The creeps are summoned with intervals of 20-30 seconds depending on the type of creep.
Click to download the image. =)

The image shows a lowlevel undead camp that's planned to function with this particular ai.

hope you enjoyed reading this btw, i'd like some tutorial help and a bit of help itself, since im a noob with ai programming. i can though admit my ideas are pretty unusual. ;)

Attachments

• Realistic Ai Camp.JPG
    Realistic Ai Camp.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 381

Jaujarahje

I have now changed this in the User CP
Reaction score
The scout idea is pretty cool, I think that would be a great addition to AI by making the game alot more fun since you wouldn't have to worry for a full out army off the bat, and you can delay them in finding you so you have time, I don't quite understand the summoning though

Smygarn777

Reaction score
the summoning is just an alternate idea to training units, as you can see on the picture the base consists of a few buildings which include barracks. and when there is a barrack there is a summoning circle which spawns units with intervals of varying time. the difference is that the barracks are training together instead of individually and when there are no barracks the summoning circle will perish, and with it the camp because the camp cant produce more units then.

Jaujarahje

Reaction score
So it would be like footmen vs. grunts kinda then right? Units spawn at different intervals and you can buy different units that will spawn at different times?

Smygarn777

Reaction score
Yes they spawn like in footmen but they only spawn 1 at a time and wait for the rest of the group to be summoned before they move out. a single scout moves out as soon as its spawned but groups of class 2 and 3, in this case search party and raiding party, they wait for the rest of the group before they move out. :)
But unfortanetly my experience with ai constructing is close to 0.

Jaujarahje

Reaction score
Sucks that you have no/little experience but you have a great idea that i havn't heard before, pretty original IMO

Smygarn777

Reaction score
thats why i came here, if i knew how to do it i wouldnt be here.
so if its possible i'd like a tutorial how to or an example. ^^

Jaujarahje

Reaction score
Sadly I have 0 xp with anything to do with mapping though i'm sure you could find some tuturiols online, I just enjoy seeing peoples ideas, and most of them seem pretty good. seeing all these ideas and such might get me into learning how to map and make AI

Smygarn777

Reaction score
saying theres sure to be an tutorial for this is not gonna help me, since my idea is indeed very unusual. there might not be any tutorials or examples where the ai has to become aware of a player first by using scouts before it starts to prepare for war.

Jaujarahje

Reaction score
I'll look for some since its 9 in the morning here and no one is awake yet and i'm really bored, i'll post if i find any

D

Death_911

:D
Great idea for an ai, im getting sick of some bnet gameswhere ai does nothing, this will work well if installed into a footies type game, However, ive seen a somewhat new ai in sc zone control, they made it following somewhat the same basics as yours.

Still, GREAT job hope som1 helps you make it
I have no mapping exp:D

Smygarn777

Reaction score
ur cheering doesnt help but is apriciated. if someone helps me make it, i'll promise i show you a good map (this ai was made up for ladder maps as how a village would handle war, it would look absurd if they knew exactly where the enemies were all of a sudden without any warning or anything).

Cheesy

some fucker
Reaction score
I suggest you learn up on some JASS. Once you've got your JASS down, look into the MPQ files of warcraft to get to the ai files. those are the codes for the melee AI. Study those, and eventually have a complex, fun game to play. GL with this though.

PS: This would take some more people than just one person with no experience with AI and some tutorials. You need to start small and work your way up.

death_knight

Dark is the heart of a corrupted man.
Reaction score
I think I can do the AI with GUI.

What I was thinking was that I can program the AI To build certain buildings in designated locations, train units at appropriate times, and when the enemy comes into sight, I can make the computer attack in waves of different units depending on factors like tier level of HQ and the buildings build so far.

If you want, I can give this a go. If you do end up using my services, all I need to get from you is the following:

1. Custom Terrain you have made
  2. Custom Units that you have
  3. Anything Else that you think will affect the triggering I'll be doing

Cheesy

some fucker
Reaction score
Get an MPQ editor, and find the ai files in the warcraft 3 directory. Those are examples to study up on. GL :thup:

Smygarn777

Reaction score
I love you deathknight!

as for those creeps, i think using the ones on the picture is enough;
Units
- Ghouls
- Skeleton Archers (Level 1)
- Necromancer
- Meat Wagon
- Zombie

Buildings
- Graveyard
- Temple of the Damned
- Ziggurat
- Medium Circle
- Altar of Darkness (or whatever)

When i came up with this ai, i figured the creeps would have buildings from the melee races most similar to them, in this case some undead buildings.
one thing, the scout process works in a way to make the creep base more irl like, so that the entire base wont be aware the second the scout spots you.
The scout has to return to the base first after staying on the spot for a few seconds (so it looks like its confirming the spot).

The Creep base will be finished building from the start because of this special ai, you dont need to worry about the building stuff. =)

(X+number means how many of that type)

Attack waves
Wave 1
- Scout X1 (wanders the map)
Mission: Locate hostilities and inform the camp.
Wave 2
- Scout X3 (Wanders the map)
Mission: Locate the missing scout and inform the camp.
Wave 3
- Ghoul X4
- Necromancer X2
- Zombie X4
- Meat Wagon X1
- Skeleton Archer X3
Mission: Attack the enemy base.

D

Death_911

<< AHHHHHHHHH CODE!!!
yeah and good luck ill host games on b.net with the ai:thup:;):D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.