Problem Here with Triggers

U

Unregistered

Ok I am making a map but I keep missing something and the triggers keep messing up, so I am pretty sure I need to use the switches but I seem to be missing the point about them

What I am trying to do is when you create a guy at point A he moves to another area which creates a dropship. Once at the dropship I have a few triggers like display text, wait, followed by Run AI Script enter dropship. Once the guys are in the dropship the dropship then moves to another area and unloads them, finally it returns back to where it came from. I can get the dropship to show up and get the guy in the dropship and even get them to move to point B. The problem is one of 2 things, either the dropships will keep popping up because I have the preserve trigger on, or when they get to point B they will not unload.

At one point I had it kind of working, but every now and then the entire process would not run very smoothly, so I decided to mess with it a bit and now I am not even thinking clearly. I kinda get switches and have used them before, but I feel like I am missing something which is messing things up. From what I have gathered switches are like bookends, they start something and they end something else. One other thing is what is the point of the toggle switch and the random? Help would be great because I have spent a couple hours now trying to figure this out and my head is beyond hurting right now.

C

Coop

hrm.. It would be easier if you attached ur map on your post so i could take a look or make an example of what you have or whatever.

Toggle switch will just do the opposite of what ur switch is on now. For instance if you have a switch already set and you make a trigger saying.. If you bring a unit here.. Toggle this switch it would just clear the switch and vice versa.
I have never used the random switch, never really noticed it heh. I'm curious about that 1 myself.

U

Unregistered

Ok I was messing around with it and this is what I have now:

-Condition-

Player 1 brings at least 1 men to "Point X"

-Actions-

Set 'switch 3'
Preserve Trigger

----------------------------------------------------------------

-Condition-

'switch 3' is set

-Actions-

Wait
Create 1 terran dropship at "point X" for player 1
display text
wait
run ai script "enter transport" at "point x"
wait
issue order to all terran dropship owned by player 1 at "point x" move to "point y"
clear 'switch 3'
preserve trigger

--------------------------------------------------------

Like it is now the game will just keep making dropships and running them from "point x" to "point y," but it will pick up the units and drop them off. What I want it to do is everytime a new unit is brought to "point x" a dropship will load the guys and move them to "point y." As is, I can't seem to stop the trigger from making dropships once it is activated. I am sure it is probably something simple I am overlooking because I had it working before, just not perfect. When I had it working before if you had a couple of dropships going to "point y" before they would wait until the final dropship got there to unload.

If you can help that would be great because I am spending more time on this one thing than I would like to, thx.

U

Unregistered

The way I have it now after the dropship unloads it moves to "point z" and disapears, which works fine. At one point I though about making it so you could only have one dropship at a time going in this cycle, but figured it would hurt the game and there was not a good chance people would have 2 dropships going at the same time anyways. The only problem with the entire cycle is that once the trigger is started it won't stop, so I end up having a stream of dropships popping up going in circles with nothing in them. I am still messing with it, but I figured if you knew how to fix it easily then it would be a waste of my time to fool around with it any longer.

C

Coop

okay i been doin some tests on this and its actually pretty tough. My problem is that you can never detect when the dropship is actually unloaded unless u make a wait timer. So i made a wait timer, but now when u keep sending units to get picked up the ship will keep turning around to pick it up. When the ship is full u cannot be on the location or the ship will just keep trying to pick it up. Well i attached what i have done. It's not perfect but maybe you can fix it up and use it on ur map. I hope it helps.

P.S. When playing the map you need to bring the marine on the mud terrain to make the dropship appear. Test everything that a player might do when actually playing your map.

Attachments

• dropship.scm
    43.2 KB · Views: 245
U

Unregistered

It's amazing how one word can spark something in your head and solve the problem. I read your post and when I read the word "wait" I remembered some of the trigger I originally had when it worked fine, and five minutes later I had it working perfectly again. Now when the units are moved to "point x" a dropship pops up, automaticly loads them, moves them to "point y," unloads then and moves to "point z." Now the trigger only works when there are guys standing at "point x," and if someone misses the dropship another one will pop up seconds after the one leaves and follow the x,y,z pattern. I will post how I did it because it's kinda neat that it works, and I am suprised as hell that I figured it out right off the bat before I deleted it and got myself into this problem.

-Condition-

"Player 1" brings at least 1 men to "Point X"
"Switch 1" is cleared

-Actions-

Wait
Create 1 terran dropship at "Point X" for "Player 1"
Display Text
Wait
Execute AI Script "Enter Transport" at "Point X"
Wait
Issue order to move all terran dropships owned by "Player 1" at "Point X" move to "Point Z"
Wait
Clear "Switch 3"
Preserve Trigger

I hope you did not spend a lot of time working on the problem, but at least you did help in some way in solving the problem.

I am having a little problem in that when the units get to "Point y" the text I have will go off once when it enters and once when it leaves. I am going to try and do the same thing with that trigger that I did with the other one and see if that works.

I am sure I will run into problems again, so I am glad I found this place. My biggest problem is that I want to do more than is possible with the present triggers available. When I finish the map I'll come in here and post it so the few people that show up can see the finished product. Thanks again.

U

Unregistered

The "Point Z" under -Actions- should read "Point Y."

C

Coop

Ahh. Im glad you got it working. I didn't work too hard on it, but besides, I learned something :). I usually no a little more about these triggers, i wasnt familiar with that whole thing there =/.

I am having a little problem in that when the units get to "Point y" the text I have will go off once when it enters and once when it leaves.
What text are you talking about there? If its appearing to many times you may have to use a switch and make a seperate trigger.

U

Unregistered

I only have the text once, but the drop-off area at "Point Y" is pretty large because I was afraid people would not move their guys and the dropships would not unload. I didn't try and work on it yet because I don't want to get involved and I know how hard to stop it is once you get going. If the clear trigger thing does not work then I will just try and shrink the "Point Y" area, which should hopefully solve the problem. If for some reason that does not work I probably will have to setup another switch so it does not say it twice, which shouldn't take that long as long as I don't flub things up again.

C

Coop

what is going on.. a whole bunch of posts were erased.. and one thread is "closed"..???

Z

zargamon

Or to piss people off do:

----------------------------------------------------

Action

When player ????? brings at least 1 ???? to location Y

Condition

End in defeat for current player

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.